Let's Discuss HD Combo Players!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

romerojpg wrote:So Eva how do I get TERMINATOR 2 EXTREME version in WHV running on my PC? :D
I have seen this on a torrent site as well, it has been ripped, don't know how they did it, perhaps googling it :)

Note: I have only mentioned this, as I think Romerojpg has got the Extreme version, so he in theory should be able to do this
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yeah I have the Extreme version :) only full iflm I have in HD (eevn if its old HD now).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:It didn't even have PCM. Just standard old SPDIF DD and DTS.
What? What a pathetic and rushed released for such an important film. I think was getting it mixed up with T1.
slasher13 wrote:Note: I have only mentioned this, as I think Romerojpg has got the Extreme version, so he in theory should be able to do this
That's cool. Banning P2P talk entirely would be impractical.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

August for the Samsung Combo, awesome:

http://blog.homecinemachoice.com/page/h ... for_duo_hd

That UK price is a joke though, fingers crossed Movietyme will sell the USA model. £1000 they can jump!

I hope BD-Java support means full BD-Java support. It should right?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Hhahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahah $1000

They added an extra 0 by accident I think! idiots.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

$1000. Quite cheap for a combo player (if you ask me).
It's the same price as an average Blu-Ray player and it reads HD-DVDs too.

I'm sure it'll cost 1000€ when it gets released in France, though. :D
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Exactly!

Even Romero knows HD-DVD Players average £350 and BD Players average £500-600 so £500 is good. Movietyme are bound to sell it too making it easy to import, that should also mean it's customs safe too.

It's wise to get a USA player anyway as that will give you access to North American + the Far East BDs if you happen to want a region locked BD Disc. If you get a Europe BD Player it only opens up Europe + Australia (the rest of the regions are unimportant). MR BD Players sadly are just not coming, the market is way too small so for the feasible future you'll have to get a region locked player.

Bar MR the Samsung looks to have the Lot! Including full HDMI 1.3 support not found on other players.

It's still way to early for HD Players under £200 and even way, way, way to early for a Combo player. Both formats aren't going anywhere and there is just too many titles on both to only get one.

p.s - It's bound to be 1000€ it will be £1000, you guys are lucky 1000€ is much closer to $1000 than £1000 is.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Tom: Do you read it to mean the player will be FULLY BD-Java compatible? I reckon that's what it means, it better do.

Oh bugger I hope it also has Analogue 5.1. The higher spec. Samsung BD only players do I believe so it should do.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Is it really wise to import an American player? I reckon that Sony will end up implementing a feature where it checks which part of the world you are in, and then will refuse to play your disc if you're in the wrong region.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Fair point however that's a maybe regional coding is a definitive/here/now/in place, even though not all titles are region locked some are, PLUS £1000 are they having a laugh!!!

I'd pay £500 for a Combo but no way I'd ever pay a grand. Region Free BD is not on the horizon too, oh and a Grand!!!
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Brad wrote:Tom: Do you read it to mean the player will be FULLY BD-Java compatible? I reckon that's what it means, it better do.
I might be talking rubbish, but I'm pretty sure that BD-J specs aren't even finalized yet.
So the Samsung player probably won't be "future-proof".
Gaster wrote:Sony will end up implementing a feature where it checks which part of the world you are in
And how are they gonna do that ?
Built-in GPS, maybe ? With a self-destruct mechanism ?
"Oh noes ! My owner lives in France !" *BOOM*

:D
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Bugger! :( . I just hope it can play the menus/extras unlike the current BD Players which I here have no hope in hell.

That article does make a point of mentioning BD-Java and an Ethernet port so fingers crossed Samsung have thought it of. It would be really stupid not to. I did hear some kind of spec. whereby a BD Player must have XYC hardware inside it.

They could add something like RCE to the Disc which Yes was easily broken but the protection in BD is much better.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

tom2681 wrote:
Gaster wrote:Sony will end up implementing a feature where it checks which part of the world you are in
And how are they gonna do that ?
Built-in GPS, maybe ? With a self-destruct mechanism ?
"Oh noes ! My owner lives in France !" *BOOM*

:D
By forcing you to have it connected to the internet :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Like that's ever going to happen.

It has no Wireless port for starters so would presume everyone has their BD Player next to their Router/Modem/Computer. Then there is the Dial-Up users out there. That's not going to happen.

An RCE type implementation is more likely. It was Sony who pulled that one after all.
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

tom2681 wrote:I might be talking rubbish, but I'm pretty sure that BD-J specs aren't even finalized yet.
So the Samsung player probably won't be "future-proof".
I would imagine that dvd player could be updated, so if the spec changes for BD, Samsung could potentially have the option to update itself, when you are connected to the internet
gojensen
King of Beggars

Post by gojensen »

dial what now?!

:lol:
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Who the fuck still uses dial up? Everyone I know is on broadband, except one guy who lives in a backward rural area.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I bet it's in the thousands if not millions.

True Slasher BUT not if the hardware isn't up to scratch. That's the main reason why most BD Players will fail come October.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I got a PS3 today, and I'm sure I read something in the manual about it being wireless.
gojensen
King of Beggars

Post by gojensen »

You don't need BD-Java to have excellent HD movies from a BluRay disc. BluRay already has fancy overlaid animated menus... BD-Java is an addon for extras and games.

So very few BD players will fail come October. Sure they won't play that BD-Java part which probably makes up less than 1% of the disc (storage wise :D) but it will play the movie.

Yes the PS3 (60GB not the 20GB version) has Wireless. Can it automatically connect to the internet? No.

Would they even make a player that would require it to be connected to the internet? No. I'm pretty darn sure they will handle revocation of "hacked-keys" the same way that they do with AACS on HD-DVD (and BluRay). I.e. newer movies includes a list of keys which must be disabled.

However, I really doubt they would EVER do that if there wasn't a way for the customer to change the key, i.e. via a Firmware upgrade or via a software upgrade.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The movie yes but it's not definite or maybe likely any of the extras.

Just look at the LG Combo that cannot play HD-DVDs HDi you cannot "get" to the Extras menu to play any of them, plus the non-HDi menus look awful.

It would really annoy me if I could "only" access the movie and nothing more.
gojensen
King of Beggars

Post by gojensen »

As it is now HD-DVD looks the be the niche of the HD-disc niche. :-/ So just get a Sammy, get most movies on BluRay and just don't give a damn extras on the few discs you just MUST have on HD-DVD :D

Or get a Toshiba! You should be able to get it for around £200-£300 (?!) Then spring for the coming "cheap" Sony at £400-£500... Still cheaper (and better I dare say) than a Sammy/LG combo at £1000.

(Or get an XBOX with HDDVD addon and a PS3 :D)
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

gojensen wrote:(Or get an XBOX with HDDVD addon and a PS3 :D)
Oh get a PS3 with a hack that enable you to connect a USB HDDVD and hack s/ware to play the HD movies..

Ooo look hell has frozen over ;) :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

To be fair to sony,they are regularly updating the firmware on the ps3,i think my ps3 will be fine come october.Both formats will be around for ages i reckon,just counting my collection earlier now have 18 blu-rays and 34 hd-dvds :) oh and 2 box sets on hd-dvd (matrix & mission impossible) you guys need to get on the hd bandwagon soon :D
working class blu-ray fan
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I love the way that the PS3 keeps getting updated. Just recently it got the 24fps function, yay!