Rod Liddle attacks "pretend disabled" in Sun column

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything.
User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Rod Liddle attacks "pretend disabled" in Sun column

Unread postby bradavon » 01 Feb 2012, 19:57

grim_tales wrote:I applied for one recently (filled in a form) and got a reply later saying "We have filled all our positions". Enquired about some other ones.

It's a numbers game. Talking from experience the majority of jobs you apply for, you don't get anywhere. You have to keep plugging away at it. Filling in 1 form isn't enough.

You say your aspergers is mild and you're an intelligent fella, why stop at voluntary work? I mean I'm sure you could work in McDonalds right? Purely as an example btw, I'd hate to work there but at least it pays money. I don't know what "mild" aspergers really means though, so maybe that's unrealistic :).

It will give you a level of achieving something too, a trap many long term unemployed fall into. They're unemployed for so long, it becomes the norm. I know when I've been unemployed, I immediately want to work again because being unemployed is soul destroying.

Yi-Long wrote:I can't do work that involves switching off the brain cause I'd go nuts

Join the 100% of other people. It's called reality.

Yi-Long wrote:Right now, I'm just looking into some stuff, design- and writing wise, and me and my girlfriend plan to move to Hong Kong for a year orso and see if we can find something to do there. I'll probably learn some photography and stuff like that, and I'm considering trying to get a job as a correspondent for some magazines where I might interview some people and keep them up to date on local showbizz news (movies and games mainly...)

Is that realistic though?

I'm trying to get out of IT Support (which I've done for 13 years now) and spent 3 months last year trying to work in animal welfare. The trouble is the pay is atrocious (you'd struggle to live off it). Now I'm back to looking for IT Support work because it pays reasonably well and is a marketable skill.

My first film review was published last month and the editor has asked me to write more/make it more a regular thing. I'm hoping in a year I can turn this into a paid job when I've got examples to show.

We all have dreams but at the end of the day bills needs to be paid and you need a skill that's marketable, by as many people as possible.

saltysam wrote:Have to be honest,wouldn't know the ins and outs of getting a voluntary job.from an employers point of view i'd think getting free employees would be like manna from heaven.

You'd think but I too struggled to find voluntary animal welfare work and failed even more to find voluntary work writing film reviews. They'd often rather pay someone because they assume they're more qualified.

User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 21587
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Rod Liddle attacks "pretend disabled" in Sun column

Unread postby grim_tales » 01 Feb 2012, 20:28

I do apply for paid jobs as well :) Though ATM I actually do do some voluntary work (kinda) writing film/book reviews (the ones I sometimes post on FB). I think McD would be unrealistic for me.

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19499
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Rod Liddle attacks "pretend disabled" in Sun column

Unread postby Markgway » 02 Feb 2012, 03:05

I would imagine someone with Asperger's (even mild) might find a job where they have to deal with the public on a constant basis in a hectic environment a challenge. It's not like working in a library. But this goes back to Grim's original point: People think that because you can see the illness it can't be that bad. If Grim says his condition makes work difficult I have no reason to doubt him. Besides we all know the real fakers have bad backs... :icon_suspect: ;)
Image

User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Rod Liddle attacks "pretend disabled" in Sun column

Unread postby bradavon » 02 Feb 2012, 03:48

Markgway wrote:If Grim says his condition makes work difficult I have no reason to doubt him.

Me either.

Markgway wrote:I would imagine someone with Asperger's (even mild) might find a job where they have to deal with the public on a constant basis in a hectic environment a challenge.

Maybe so. What sorts of jobs suit people with aspergers?

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19499
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Rod Liddle attacks "pretend disabled" in Sun column

Unread postby Markgway » 02 Feb 2012, 03:50

bradavon wrote:What sorts of jobs suit people with aspergers?


Best let Grim answer that one.
Image

User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Rod Liddle attacks "pretend disabled" in Sun column

Unread postby bradavon » 02 Feb 2012, 04:08

It's directed at anyone who wish to answer :).

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19499
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Rod Liddle attacks "pretend disabled" in Sun column

Unread postby Markgway » 02 Feb 2012, 14:04

I think Grim would be best placed to answer unless anyone here knows more about his condition than he does.
Image

User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 21587
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Rod Liddle attacks "pretend disabled" in Sun column

Unread postby grim_tales » 02 Feb 2012, 14:17

Markgway wrote:I would imagine someone with Asperger's (even mild) might find a job where they have to deal with the public on a constant basis in a hectic environment a challenge. It's not like working in a library. But this goes back to Grim's original point: People think that because you can see the illness it can't be that bad. If Grim says his condition makes work difficult I have no reason to doubt him. Besides we all know the real fakers have bad backs... :icon_suspect: ;)


Thanks Mark, thats what I was trying to say I think :oops: Because I sometimes have a stammer as well I think always constantly talking in a hectic environment wouldnt suit me. I just have to find something that does. I did get an interview for a job at our library once but I didnt get the job unfortunately even though I thought I did OK at the interview :oops: Even that requires talking to people.
Brad, I'm not sure how to answer that one as not everyone with Aspergers is the same (obviously). As Mark said, I'd imagine dealing with the public (and anything too hectic) would be difficult, I've been looking for things that involve working on a computer though (not telephone based or anything like that), data entry kind of stuff :?


Return to “Debate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests