Rod Liddle attacks "pretend disabled" in Sun column

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Rod Liddle attacks "pretend disabled" in Sun column

Post by grim_tales »

What a disgusting article :angry: This man is a penis of the highest order with his ill informed comment about M.E! Just because you are not 'visibly' ill doesnt mean you don't have an illness/condition! Its actually fucking hard and demeaning filling in forms to claim benefits (DLA which I am entitled to) as well.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2012/01/r ... d-the-sun/
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Rod Liddle attacks "pretend disabled" in Sun column

Post by Yi-Long »

I know what you mean, Grim. I've got the same problem, with most people only seeing me on my 'good' days, thus jumping to the conclusion that I'm actually healthy and should be able to work. I can explain the problems pretty well, but being able to explain something doesn't mean everyone else is able to also completely understand/comprehend it.

I'm glad I don't have to fill in any forms or anything to keep begging for support, or to keep explaining the situation. They have me at a 100% disability 'rating' which means they aren't pestering me with all kinds of bullshit.

Oh well, dumb fucks like this uninformed prick bastard will always be around to feed the public's mistrust of those receiving benefits. Nothing really you can do about it.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I can't work full time but to my knowledge can't get benefits, really shitty situation.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I didnt mean I have ME (sorry if I misunderstood Yi), I have mild AS/Aspergers I think but just because its invisible (and I do want to work) doesnt make a scrounger :( :evil:
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

grim_tales wrote:I didnt mean I have ME (sorry if I misunderstood Yi), I have mild AS/Aspergers I think but just because its invisible (and I do want to work) doesnt make a scrounger :( :evil:
I know Grim. I don't have ME either, but I was talking about physical problems that aren't easily recognizable for outsiders... :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I don't need to read the article to know that Rod Liddle's a "penis of the highest order".

Agree on the invisible illness front. I'm a paid-up member.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

My problem I found was that I ticked the disabled box on applications but then found the interviewees thought I was making up my condition - which in any case made it sound like I couldn't do the job. Now I don't tell prospective employers about it, which makes me fear later dismissal if they find out...
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I don't tell interviewers because like you say, they could very well think you can't do the job but do tell them soon enough after I've started. I've not been fired yet and only once a boss said I should've told him before. Which there's no way I was going to do.

The term disabled does appear to be used very loosely by councils though or maybe just in my area. For example, would you call someone disabled if they're partially sighted and need glasses to fix this? If glasses make them able to see, I wouldn't.

Those disabled car parking spots often seem to be put just about anywhere, without any thought put in place. Where I live there's a row of them (about 3 I think) and then none for the remainder of the streets in the area. 99% of the time they're always empty with cars parked on double yellow lines and the what over night (there's not enough parking, obviously not connected to the disabled parking spaces).
gasteropod wrote:I can't work full time but to my knowledge can't get benefits, really shitty situation.
Have you confirmed you cannot?
grim_tales wrote:Just because you are not 'visibly' ill doesnt mean you don't have an illness/condition!
That's a tricky one though. Plenty of people who say they cannot work are able to use a computer and therefore you'd imagine are able to sit at a desk and use one. I'm obviously simplifying things but there are definitely people who do exaggerate how ill they in order to get out of working period. The trouble is those who really are unable to work get lumped in with the rest. Obviously I'm very much generalising here.

I thought you had a job?
grim_tales wrote:Its actually fucking hard and demeaning filling in forms to claim benefits (DLA which I am entitled to) as well.
True. I find it more demeaning having to speak to the likes of the jobcentre who can be rude, clearly don't want to be there and talk to you like you're thick as shit. When in reality they do sweet F all except pay your jobseekers stamp. Proactive they certainly are not.
Markgway wrote:I don't need to read the article to know that Rod Liddle's a "penis of the highest order".
I suggest you do because whilst it shows a great deal of ignorance it also says some relevant points about people fraudulently claiming benefit at the loss of those who need it too.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Wait.

Are all the king pin members of Bullets disabled in some way? Why wasn't I told about this, I feel left out :oops:
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

luckystars wrote:Wait.

Are all the king pin members of Bullets disabled in some way? Why wasn't I told about this, I feel left out :oops:
Well... to be on BNB this long you kinda already have to be mentally retarded... so that should be a relief! :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Post your address and one of us (probably Yi) will pop round and cripple you.

All part of the Bullets club service. :D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Markgway wrote:

Post your address and one of us (probably Yi) will pop round and cripple you.

All part of the Bullets club service. :D
...just hope that it won't be Romero or Brad popping round your place:

Romero will shoot you in the fucking face, and so will Brad, but in a less violent and more sticky manner.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

@ Yi: Oh lord :D.
Yi-Long wrote:Well... to be on BNB this long you kinda already have to be mentally retarded... so that should be a relief! :D
:D

No I'm not disabled.

p.s - I've never been called a King Pin before. Check us out Grim, we're king pins :D :cool:.
Last edited by bradavon on 06 Feb 2012, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yi-Long wrote:Romero will shoot you in the fucking face, and so will Brad, but in a less violent and more sticky manner.
:lol:

Whatever happened to Romero btw?
bradavon wrote:yes I do have something medically wrong with me but no I'm not going to say what it is, at least not on a public forum.
Brad, homosexuality is not a medical wrong. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

bradavon wrote:No I'm not disabled. I used to be but for an entirely different reason (my eyes, prior to surgery) but yes I do have something medically wrong with me but no I'm not going to say what it is, at least not on a public forum.
Yet you plaster your ugly mug all over this forum and no doubt many others! :D
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Considering the low amount of regular posters on here about 85% must be unwell! luckily since my ailment three years ago and i'm (fingers crossed) back to full health and even doing an hour in the gym must days :)
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Brad, homosexuality is not a medical wrong. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
Ha ha :D.
IronMonkey wrote:Yet you plaster your ugly mug all over this forum and no doubt many others! :D
Er. good point. Doh! :D. Seriously it's just a face.

Anyway back on topic. Doesn't anyone else think the author of said article has made some (mixed in with ignorant) good points?
Last edited by bradavon on 06 Feb 2012, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:Considering the low amount of regular posters on here about 85% must be unwell! luckily since my ailment three years ago and i'm (fingers crossed) back to full health and even doing an hour in the gym must days :)
Yeah, but I bet Grim could still kick your ass. :D
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Brad at the moment I'm trying to get some voluntary work somewhere. :)
As you say, at the beginning of the article he has a point about those who fraudulently claim benefits (I expect those are a tiny proportion), but then he insults genuine disabled and ill people as a whole in the rest of the article and is very ignorant and unpleasant. Ill informed views like this arrogant prick Liddle only fuels the public perception and mistrust of genuine claimants and will demonise disabled people, as Yi says.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Grim,have to be honest and not being funny but i see any number of charity shops always looking for volunteer workers??i cannot believe you can't find voluntary work somewhere,sorry.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I applied for one recently (filled in a form) and got a reply later saying "We have filled all our positions". Enquired about some other ones.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Have to be honest,wouldn't know the ins and outs of getting a voluntary job.from an employers point of view i'd think getting free employees would be like manna from heaven.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

My problem is finding voluntary work that will allow me to gain experience sufficient to apply for particular jobs. I have qualifications in librarianship and education but it's like pulling shark's teeth to get even a week's worth of voluntary experience.
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I considered doing voluntary work, looked into it, had some talks, they were going to help me find something suitable (I can't do work that involves switching off the brain cause I'd go nuts) and then some politician who's in power over welfare and such, mentioned that anyone who can do voluntary work, can easily also do 'normal' work, at which point I just went: "Well, fuck you, I can't, and I guess that means I won't be doing any voluntary work either if I risk getting in trouble over it later on..."

So that's pretty much the end of it.

Right now, I'm just looking into some stuff, design- and writing wise, and me and my girlfriend plan to move to Hong Kong for a year orso and see if we can find something to do there. I'll probably learn some photography and stuff like that, and I'm considering trying to get a job as a correspondent for some magazines where I might interview some people and keep them up to date on local showbizz news (movies and games mainly...)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:I applied for one recently (filled in a form) and got a reply later saying "We have filled all our positions". Enquired about some other ones.
It's a numbers game. Talking from experience the majority of jobs you apply for, you don't get anywhere. You have to keep plugging away at it. Filling in 1 form isn't enough.

You say your aspergers is mild and you're an intelligent fella, why stop at voluntary work? I mean I'm sure you could work in McDonalds right? Purely as an example btw, I'd hate to work there but at least it pays money. I don't know what "mild" aspergers really means though, so maybe that's unrealistic :).

It will give you a level of achieving something too, a trap many long term unemployed fall into. They're unemployed for so long, it becomes the norm.