Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19499
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby Markgway » 22 Sep 2011, 15:53

grim_tales wrote:Strange that for a supposed Christian country hardly anyone goes to church. IMO the UK is very secular these days in practice, despite they majority saying the believe in a God/Gods... :)


I didn't say they were good Christians... but Christianity is the primary faith.

You can't argue with that.

I'd love to see someone go to a Muslim country and try to persuade them of the benefits of multi-faith/multi-culturalism.
Image

User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby thelostdragon » 22 Sep 2011, 22:39

Markgway wrote:I'd love to see someone go to a Muslim country and try to persuade them of the benefits of multi-faith/multi-culturalism.

Which was and still is very much present in the Muslim world.
Image

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19499
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby Markgway » 23 Sep 2011, 00:06

thelostdragon wrote:
Markgway wrote:I'd love to see someone go to a Muslim country and try to persuade them of the benefits of multi-faith/multi-culturalism.

Which was and still is very much present in the Muslim world.


Yes, because we know how tolerant Islamic countries are.
Image

User avatar
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8613
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby Yi-Long » 23 Sep 2011, 01:08

Markgway wrote:
thelostdragon wrote:
Markgway wrote:I'd love to see someone go to a Muslim country and try to persuade them of the benefits of multi-faith/multi-culturalism.

Which was and still is very much present in the Muslim world.


Yes, because we know how tolerant Islamic countries are.


That's like saying all 'atheist' countries are all about violating human rights and oppressing people because North Korea and China are doing so...

Or that all 'Christian' countries enjoy bombing innocent people cause it brings in money, as we have done the last 10 years (and much much longer before that...)

Do you want this discussion to be about individual freedoms and rights that we built up through the years, or do you want it to be about simple fingerpointing and playing the blame-game to justify our own shortcomings and increasing restrictions...!?

As I mentioned in the discussion before: 'They do it as well!' really isn't a good argument to lower our own morals, standards, values, etc.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19499
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby Markgway » 23 Sep 2011, 04:41

Yi-Long wrote:That's like saying all 'atheist' countries are all about violating human rights and oppressing people because North Korea and China are doing so...


Of course no country is perfect and no system blameless. Nowhere did I say that secular countries are paradises without flaw. We could have a long topic on the wrongs of China and North Korea. But LD's view of Islamic countries is pure fantasy - perhaps the kind of Islamic country he'd like to live in but doesn't exist? Christianity used to be pretty fucked up but has mellowed out considerably. If it hadn't Britain wouldn't be the tolerant country that it is.

Do you want this discussion to be about individual freedoms and rights that we built up through the years, or do you want it to be about simple fingerpointing and playing the blame-game to justify our own shortcomings and increasing restrictions...!?


The scope of the topic has expanded... I've already made my points about street prayers and find it highly unlikely anyone here will change their minds. In general I'm all for personal freedom as long as it doesn't negatively affect or upset society at large. I may want to run naked through the streets singing Ave Maria, but 99.9% of people don't want to see that - therefore I don't. Freedom and responsibility go hand in hand. You rarely ever hear anyone say 'but what about my responsibilites?'. I guess that ain't cool no more.
Image

User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby thelostdragon » 23 Sep 2011, 08:48

Mark, what Islamic country have you been to? What was your first-hand experience of visiting and experiencing an Islamic country on location? From the way you write it seems that you sure didn't experience "multi-faith/multi-culturalism" when you were there.
Image

User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby bradavon » 23 Sep 2011, 12:53

Markgway wrote:Think about that sentence for a while...

Think about what you're saying. The world has been multi-ethnic for centuries. You may dislike it but frankly tough.

Markgway wrote:but the UK is a Christian country

:D Are you for real?. No it's not:

"2011 Census Polls:

In a poll conducted by YouGov in March 2011 on behalf of the BHA, when asked the census question ‘What is your religion?’, 61% of people in England and Wales ticked a religious box (53.48% Christian and 7.22% other) while 39% ticked ‘No religion’.

When the same sample was asked the follow-up question ‘Are you religious?’, only 29% of the same people said ‘Yes’ while 65% said ‘No’, meaning over half of those whom the census would count as having a religion said they were not religious."


You can see how the census faired in 2011 (it's starkly different): http://www.humanism.org.uk/campaigns/re ... statistics

The UK as a Christian country is an urban myth propelled by right wingers, who like to still believe it is. Are you still sure The UK is a "Christian Country"?

Markgway wrote:The French people have the right to decide what they want and don't want and shouldn't be dictated to by white liberal guilt (and if Yi-Long doesn't fall into that category, Brad, you certainly do).

The people praying are French too. You know that right?

I doubt Yi feels guilty. I certainly don't. What am I supposed to feel guilty for?

User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby bradavon » 23 Sep 2011, 12:57

thelostdragon wrote:Mark, what Islamic country have you been to?

I've only been to India. Which you cannot call an Islamic country but certainly has Islamic pockets. Seeing different religious groups thriving so closely together was magical (as they did for centuries in India before partition). It's a shame it's not happening here.

I'll definitely visit an Islamic country one day, after I've seen other places first. Africa's next on my hit list. I'd like to visit Pakistan but obviously I'm not going to any time soon.

I've been waiting to hear what you've had to say Lost Dragon. Anything further to add? :)

User avatar
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8613
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby Yi-Long » 23 Sep 2011, 14:45

I've been to Turkey, which I think is an islamic country cause everybody is praying all the time, all women were wearing burqa's, and bombs were going off everywhere when they weren't busy fucking goats...

... oh wait, that wasn't the case at all.

And about me feeling 'white guilt': You're joking, right!? I'm not responsible for the crimes of others, just like 99% of the muslims aren't responsible/accountable for the crap radical extremists pull under the excuse of 'Islam'.

'White shame' would maybe be a more suiting phrase though, cause obviously we as the west have been misbehaving quite a bit throughout history. Right-wingers often tell us to be proud of our own culture and history, but TBH, how can anyone with some decency look at our history and let that fill us with 'pride'. All our wealth is built on thievery, murder, terrorisme, slavery, etc.

That's not exclusive to the west though, and that's kinda my point. I'm just as critical on the bad stuff in Chinese/Japanese history, or 'islamic' history. Everyone has skeletons in the closet. Stuff that you can't possibly be proud of cause it goes against all human decency. However, just because everyone has those, doesn't make it 'right'.

It's very simple: there is no definitive GOOD history or BAD history. It's a mix. Some stuff you can be 'proud' of (or feel good about or whatever you want to call it), and some stuff needs to be labelled as 'WRONG' and we need to despise that and learn from it and try not to repeat it.

Right now, there is a war going on in the west against islam/muslims. And step by step we are trying to impose more and more limitations on them and their individual rights and freedoms cause they somehow make us feel 'uncomfortable', which isn't a good enough argument for me.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...

User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 21587
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby grim_tales » 23 Sep 2011, 15:30

I've been to Turkey and Tunisia over the years on holiday, when I was younger :)
I agree with Yi, everyone has bad things in their history - be it America, the British Empire, Chinese/Japanese history, the Crusades etc.. but as you say just because everyone sweeps stuff under the carpet, doesnt mean it is "right" to do so.

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19499
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby Markgway » 23 Sep 2011, 17:16

thelostdragon wrote:Mark, what Islamic country have you been to? What was your first-hand experience of visiting and experiencing an Islamic country on location? From the way you write it seems that you sure didn't experience "multi-faith/multi-culturalism" when you were there.


I haven't been to the antarctic either... but I know it's cold there.

Yi-Long wrote:'White shame' would maybe be a more suiting phrase though, cause obviously we as the west have been misbehaving quite a bit throughout history. Right-wingers often tell us to be proud of our own culture and history, but TBH, how can anyone with some decency look at our history and let that fill us with 'pride'. All our wealth is built on thievery, murder, terrorisme, slavery, etc.


If you don't feel guilt then you shouldn't feel shame... you aren't responsible for anything that happened. Good or bad. Such feelings are regressive, patronising and unhelpful. It's not a black and white issue (no pun intended). Every country/system of government has done (or had done) evil in its name. You want someone to speak out against the war in Iraq... count me in. I think on this (to a certain degree) we agree.
Last edited by Markgway on 24 Sep 2011, 05:04, edited 4 times in total.
Image

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19499
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby Markgway » 23 Sep 2011, 17:32

bradavon wrote:[The world has been multi-ethnic for centuries.


That sentence doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

:D Are you for real?. No it's not:

"2011 Census Polls... 61% of people in England and Wales ticked a religious box (53.48% Christian and 7.22% other) while 39% ticked ‘No religion’.


Thanks for finding the stats to back up MY point.

When the same sample was asked the follow-up question ‘Are you religious?’, only 29% of the same people said ‘Yes’ while 65% said ‘No’, meaning over half of those whom the census would count as having a religion said they were not religious."


I would conceed that most Brits aren't active Christians (as in church-going) but it's still the dominant faith that our society is built upon. Our laws and morals are all Christian-based, our culture is primarily Christian. Thus this is still a Christian country though direct following of Christianity has dropped enormously.

The UK as a Christian country is an urban myth propelled by right wingers, who like to still believe it is. Are you still sure The UK is a "Christian Country"?


Yes, and I'm not a Christian myself, so it's not like I'm defending my own faith. If that story in France had been about Christians my criticism would've been just the same.

The people praying are French too. You know that right?


Muslim >>> French

(But that's besides the point. The majority don't want street prayer. Doesn't really matter how you or I feel about it.)

What am I supposed to feel guilty for?


Nothing. But overly compassionate solidarity with minorities largely comes from a state of 'white liberal guilt'. As if minorities are poor lambs who need defending from Big Bad Whitey (in this instance the French government).
Image

User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby bradavon » 23 Sep 2011, 17:50

Markgway wrote:I haven't been to the antarctic either... but I know it's cold there. I would hazard a guess that Turkey is the only country that fits your description.

Even you must admit, this statement makes you look incredibly ignorant. I frankly am too but then I'm not posting drivel like you are :D.

Besides comparing a religion as complicated as Islam with how cold a continent is, is frankly insulting.

Markgway wrote:That sentence doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

It makes perfect sense.

Thanks for finding the stats to back up MY point.

Just over 50% hardly makes The UK a "Christian" country. That's nowhere near a majority.

Markgway wrote:But overly compassionate solidarity with minorities largely comes from a state of 'white liberal guilt'.

No it doesn't. It comes with saying what you personally believe is morally right.

Markgway wrote:As if minorities are poor lambs who need defending from Big Bad Whitey (in this instance the French government).

Everyone needs defending to varying degrees at different times.

User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby thelostdragon » 23 Sep 2011, 22:12

bradavon wrote:I've been waiting to hear what you've had to say Lost Dragon. Anything further to add? :)

What else is there to add? Things just repeat themselves. I'm done discussing faith on this board. Been there as you know. Nothing is gonna change. It's so funny, because Mark arguments in a way as if he had originally claimed to know the temperature in an Islamic country when he actually implied he knew how intolerant Islamic countries were. My knowledge doesn't count in his eyes, because he thinks it is my biased opinion. The fact that I have been traveling the Islamic world quite a lot and have many non-Muslim friends who happily live/lived there doesn't change anything as far as his opinion is concerned. Why? Because he has never been there, but he knows how it is there. He knows that Turkey is the ONE exception. The Islamic world spreads from Morocco to Indonesia, but hey, Mark's knows it all, because he also knows it's cold in Antarctica.

I must say though I was quite surprised in a positive way when I read some people's opinions here. Not though by Yi's opinion as he has always been a guy who offends injustice, no matter by whom or to whom injustice has been done.

One thing I would like to say though when it comes to history, yes, Islam was mainly spread by the sword. Not everywhere, but in a lot of places. When you actually open a history book and read about it, you'll find out that it was always armys that were fought when it was a battle about spreading Islam. Almost never were civilians attacked. In the rare cases it was by criminals who acted against the word of Allah and his Prophet (SAS) and they were brought to justice. That's why it is so funny when Islam and all Muslims are associated with terrorist attacks.

Yes, there was 9/11. What 9/11 showed me was mostly how little I actually knew about my own religion let alone other cultures. How could I even expect non-Muslims to know anything at all about Islam. The conflicts that followed in Afghanistan and Iraq were triggered by 9/11 and they could only be triggered, because most people in the West have not the slightest idea about the Muslim world. Also Bush and his advisors, they generally were never in an Islamic country before. I remember statements from German and American workers at the international radio station I worked at (Deutsche Welle). They knew very well I was Muslim and weren't even ashamed of saying that all 1.4 Billion Muslims were terrorists and they need to be killed. Thos people I am speaking of are journalists, people you would usually consider to be educated folks. So if their opinion is that, what does Joe Public think?

But the funny thing is that it didn't even start with 9/11. Instead, the last 200 years were 200 years that most people in the West forget. 200 years in which West Europeans (not even Americans; they entered the region later on) brutally colonised Islamic countries. They killed millions of Muslims. So if you think about who is more violent, the West, especially the West Europeans were far more violent than Muslims. It is not a biased opinion, it is a historic fact. World War I and World War II which caused 70.000.000 dead people. Who started this? Not Muslims for sure. Who killed 6.000.000 Jews? Not Muslims for sure. Gigantic numbers of dead people which we tend to rationalise away. Russian Communism killed 30.000.000 people. Chinese Communism, or rather Mao killed probably around 40.000.000. Of course China isn't the West, but it sure isn't Muslims. In the last 200 years, Muslims haven't done anything that even comes close to what I just pointed out. As Jean-Paul Sartre, the famous French philosopher, said that Arabs were treated like half apes. Muslims were dismissed and not taken seriously. They were treated like animals, literally smoked out (as George Bush used to say so often). Hunted like jackals for example during the French colonisation.

Terrorism begins with injustice. That's why terrorism can only be fought by justice. But the West did the exact opposite. Of course the attacks of 9/11 were brutal attacks against innocent people and against humanity if I may say so. And what was the West's reaction to almost 3000 innocent dead victims? Bombing over 1.000.000 Iraqis who haven't done anything wrong.

The main issue is that Americans and West Europeans believe they are special. That's my observation. I was born in the West and raised in the West so I have a pretty clear picture as far as that is concerned. Most Americans and West Europeans would agree. And if I may say this, a latent form of racism is present here. I am willing to bet my whole income that most people in the West think, 'Those Blacks, those Arabs, those Muslims, they are not like us'. They conceive them as lesser beings.

The Muslim world suffers from atrocious dictatorships which were generally arranged by Western powers. Those governments are generally supported by Americans and some European countries, be it financially or arms.

Don't get me started on Guantanamo or Abu Ghuraib. There is no point in beating around the bush so I'll just go ahead and say that human rights are currently violated the most by Western governments (not people). Because what the West did in Iraq. I repeat, over 1,000,000 innocent civilians were killed for nothing. For a lie. And let's not start talking about the severely injured. In Afghanistan, villages are bombed. Germany is participating in this and yet they talk about human rights the most. It is so awful, coming here and elsewhere in the media reading about Westerners complaining about the Muslim World and how they mistreat human rights. 3000 dead innocents on 9/11. What barbaric people. And yet they kill MILLIONS of innocents. I get angry by that self-righteousness in the West.

We put a ransom of 25,000,000 on Bin Laden's head. He is a murderer and is responsible for the death of probably over 5000 Westerners. But what do we do with a US president who killed over 1,000,000 Iraqis. What is the ransom on his head?

I saw a documentary on German TV about an Iraqi rebel who snipes US soldiers. He was asked by the German reporter: 'Why do you kill?'
The guy's reply will stick in my head forever. He said, 'What would you do if both your brothers were murdered without having done anything at all. What would you do? Please be honest. What would you do if your family was killed for no reason at all?'

And I think of all the Hollywood films where we sympathise with the hero whose family was killed for no reason by gangsters. Western powers are the terrorists in my eyes. They destroy the world. Afghanistan isn't bombarding Germany. Germany bombs and helps bombing Afghanistan. We keep on forgetting this. Our Governments murder hundred thousands of people and people here in the West keep on talking about Muslim violence.

The image of the Islamic World that is being conveyed here on a daily basis is that of a violent world. It is difficult for me to walk through any city in Germany where I could honestly claim people are meeting me with grace of charity (altruism?). I'm not saying it doesn't exist in the West, but if you really want to experience the true meaning of hospitality and friendliness, you have to visit an Islamic country.

The West didn't become number one in the world due to a supremacy of values, but always due to the supremacy of applying violence. The West conquered its current position in the world by violence. And this won't work in the future anymore due to many reasons, but that is a whole study on its own.
Image

User avatar
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8613
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby Yi-Long » 23 Sep 2011, 22:45

I agree 99% with LD. :)

Well said, and a big post, but I fear it won't change anyone's mind, cause as you also mentioned, most people will not really change their views on stuff like this, regardless of arguments and facts and such. Which is a shame.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19499
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby Markgway » 24 Sep 2011, 05:03

bradavon wrote:Even you must admit, this statement makes you look incredibly ignorant.


I thought it was witty myself. Oh, well. You can't please every critic.

I frankly am too but then I'm not posting drivel like you are :D.


That's just too easy. It must be a trap! :icon_suspect:

Besides comparing a religion as complicated as Islam with how cold a continent is, is frankly insulting.


:lol:

Just over 50% hardly makes The UK a "Christian" country. That's nowhere near a majority.


Kudos to Brad for redefining the term 'majority'. :thumbs:

No it doesn't. It comes with saying what you personally believe is morally right.


It's White Liberal Guilt, dude. You overempathise with minorities because it makes YOU feel better. It's a state of self-righteous indignation.

Everyone needs defending to varying degrees at different times.


How patronising...
Image

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19499
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby Markgway » 24 Sep 2011, 05:33

thelostdragon wrote:It's so funny, because Mark arguments in a way as if he had originally claimed to know the temperature in an Islamic country when he actually implied he knew how intolerant Islamic countries were. My knowledge doesn't count in his eyes, because he thinks it is my biased opinion. The fact that I have been traveling the Islamic world quite a lot and have many non-Muslim friends who happily live/lived there doesn't change anything as far as his opinion is concerned. Why? Because he has never been there, but he knows how it is there. He knows that Turkey is the ONE exception. The Islamic world spreads from Morocco to Indonesia, but hey, Mark's knows it all, because he also knows it's cold in Antarctica.


OK. Can I first admit I fucked up my post. I was originally going to make a joke about Turkey but then I decided to go with the Antarctica one instead - BUT - donut that I am - I didn't properly edit the Turkey remark so I was left with one uncontextualised sentence that as LD has explained looks silly by itself. Consider me self-flagellated.

I'm no expert on Islam or the Middle East - obviously - but it does appear to me that LD's opinions are biased because he WANTS Islam to be the religion of peace that HE believes in and anything that doesn't fit that mould is ignored. Talk detail and you'll blow me out of the water... but as much as I respect your knowledge I do take your comments with a pinch of secular salt (I wouldn't dare argue with your historical points because I expect they're beyond reproach in accuracy). If someone posted here that Christianity or Judaism was all sunshine and light I'd take much the same view. You should hear my views on Israel.

I must say though I was quite surprised in a positive way when I read some people's opinions here. Not though by Yi's opinion as he has always been a guy who offends injustice, no matter by whom or to whom injustice has been done.


I defend injustice where I believe injustice has been done. That is categorically not the case here.

That's why it is so funny when Islam and all Muslims are associated with terrorist attacks.


Which isn't fair... and lest anyone be confused I've never tarnished all Muslims with the same brush. Nor do I believe that all Muslims are good and that anyone who commits a sin can't be a Muslim because a Muslim wouldn't do such a thing... unless of course one accepts that the Crusaders weren't actually Christian because the Christian faith wouldn't tolerate such barbaric behaviour in its name.

They knew very well I was Muslim and weren't even ashamed of saying that all 1.4 Billion Muslims were terrorists and they need to be killed.


...and you thought I was bad?? :D

Terrorism begins with injustice. That's why terrorism can only be fought by justice. But the West did the exact opposite. Of course the attacks of 9/11 were brutal attacks against innocent people and against humanity if I may say so. And what was the West's reaction to almost 3000 innocent dead victims? Bombing over 1.000.000 Iraqis who haven't done anything wrong.


No argument from me.

The main issue is that Americans and West Europeans believe they are special. That's my observation. I was born in the West and raised in the West so I have a pretty clear picture as far as that is concerned. Most Americans and West Europeans would agree. And if I may say this, a latent form of racism is present here. I am willing to bet my whole income that most people in the West think, 'Those Blacks, those Arabs, those Muslims, they are not like us'. They conceive them as lesser beings.


Now who's stereotyping? I personally don't feel that way but unlike the liberal elite I don't feel I need to prove it with every word and gesture I make. If I think Islamic culture is wrong on something I say so - anything less would be truly disrespectful. I think street prayer is wrong. Are those who defend it doing so because they believe in street prayer or because they think if they don't they'll be branded racist (which in the UK is slightly below child molester)?

It is so awful, coming here and elsewhere in the media reading about Westerners complaining about the Muslim World and how they mistreat human rights. 3000 dead innocents on 9/11. What barbaric people. And yet they kill MILLIONS of innocents. I get angry by that self-righteousness in the West.


One wrong leads to another. The Americans (and British sheep) couldn't find the guilty so they bombed the innocent. Bush and Blair should be in The Hague.

The image of the Islamic World that is being conveyed here on a daily basis is that of a violent world. It is difficult for me to walk through any city in Germany where I could honestly claim people are meeting me with grace of charity (altruism?). I'm not saying it doesn't exist in the West, but if you really want to experience the true meaning of hospitality and friendliness, you have to visit an Islamic country.


You don't think that's overstating it a bit...? It's not the fault of the German people what their government does. Despite living in democracies we have little to no control over what the people in power do in our name. Everytime an Iraqi blames Britain for the death of a loved one we all get tarnished and like you said that's not fair. If all Muslims aren't terrorists then neither are all westerners Muslim-hating, bloodthirsty, genocidal maniacs with God-complexes. To suggest that only an Islamic country offers the beauty of 'hospitality and friendliness' is as silly and wrongheaded as any comment I've ever made on this board.
Image

User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby thelostdragon » 24 Sep 2011, 10:54

@Mark
You can find an answer to any point of yours in my long post, for example when you suggest I said that hospitality and friendliness only existed in an Islamic country.
[quote=thelostdragon] I'm not saying it doesn't exist in the West...[/quote]
That its supposed to mean that once you have experienced the omnipresence of hospitality and friendliness it redefines your Western understanding of these terms. I can say the same about South Korea. So while hospitality sure exists in the West, I never experienced it with Germans to such a degree. I've been to Seoul three times which I think is enough to make a small judgement as far as hospitality is concerned.

By omnipresent hospitality I mean random strangers standing in front of your house, inviting you to their homes for a meal as you walk down the street and pass them on your way. It happened to me so many times in Amman (a city of 2,000,000) while I lived there four two years and never once in 25 years in the West.dgement as far as hospitality is concerned.

By omnipresent hospitality I mean random strangers standing in front of your house, inviting you to their homes for a meal as you walk down the street and pass them on your way. It happened to me so many times in Amman (a city of 2,000,000) while I lived there four two years and never once in 25 years in the West.

So getting back to the original topic, if the French want to outlaw street praying, sure go ahead. It's their country. But stop killing millions of innocent people in their own countries.
Image

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19499
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby Markgway » 24 Sep 2011, 14:22

Thanks for the clarification... and yes that does sound very friendly when you put it like that.

Strangers invite you into their homes? Blimey. :D
Image

User avatar
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8613
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby Yi-Long » 24 Sep 2011, 14:36

Markgway wrote:Thanks for the clarification... and yes that does sound very friendly when you put it like that.

Strangers invite you into their homes? Blimey. :D


That's how I got my mailmen-collection btw... :P
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...

User avatar
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8521
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby romerojpg » 24 Sep 2011, 15:02

LOL to the way the threads went :clap:

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19499
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby Markgway » 25 Sep 2011, 04:05

romerojpg wrote:LOL to the way the threads went :clap:


We could start an argument in an empty room. :D
Image

User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby bradavon » 25 Sep 2011, 22:24

Markgway wrote:Strangers invite you into their homes? Blimey. :D

It happened to me whilst in India, pretty much. I chatted with someone on a bus the night before and the next day was having lunch in his families house.

User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby thelostdragon » 25 Sep 2011, 23:01

bradavon wrote:
Markgway wrote:Strangers invite you into their homes? Blimey. :D

It happened to me whilst in India, pretty much. I chatted with someone on a bus the night before and the next day was having lunch in his families house.

Brad, it must seem unbelievable and maybe even stupid to someone who has never experienced it.
Image

gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Unread postby gasteropod » 26 Sep 2011, 00:16

I dunno, I met a girl last night and invited her into my home :lol:


Return to “Debate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests