Student tuition fees

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Student tuition fees

Post by saltysam »

I must confess i haven't followed this story to closely but from what i gather there have been numerous violent protests in the country,Prince Charles had his roller attacked etc...seems to me the big villains in this are the phoney Lib-Dems eho have totally reneged on their election policy on this.At least with the tories we knew what they were about.Clegg & Cable are helping consign the Libs to decades as a mere footnote in national politics for the sniff of power.Cameron is playing them like a fiddle!!
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Student tuition fees

Post by Markgway »

The real villains are the troublemakers looking for a fight and jumping on this particular bandwagon. Most of these hard-done-by students are either middle class, in which case mummy and daddy can afford the fees, or they're not even students, but rather militants intent on violence and destruction or property. The Police are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Bring on the water cannons I say. The Lib Dems screwed up by making pledges they couldn't keep. It's easy to make empty promises when you've no chance of getting into government, but faced with reality they had no choice but to approve cuts. I know some would like to believe that this was a bit of Tory arm-twisting, but in actuality Clegg and co were in favour and would've had to take similiar measures regardless. Labour have got some balls trying to make capital on this when it was they who set the ball rolling... Personally I'm in favour of the changes and don't see why tax payers should pay through the nose just so a bunch of kids can study modern dance and then graduate to a job in Burger King. If these students really want it bad enough they'll work for it. If not then they shouldn't be there in the first place. I would however make exemptions for the medical professions (and perhaps select others).
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

So you don't think the Libs have reneged on their election promises :dontknow: they are voting on measures they actively opposed! free education for all,that's what i think.the libs are going to be wiped out at the next election,i can't wait.i dislike them more than the tories.Clegg is a snide bastard.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:So you don't think the Libs have reneged on their election promises :dontknow: they are voting on measures they actively opposed! free education for all,that's what i think.the libs are going to be wiped out at the next election,i can't wait.i dislike them more than the tories.Clegg is a snide bastard.
Yes, they reneged. They had to (as I already explained). Once in power the Lib Dems had to face the reality that cuts had to be made in the face of financial crisis (which Labour partly caused). I can promise free helicopters to voters if I think there's little chance of me being elected. But when actually in power it's a different story. If the Lib Dems kept their promise to students (a promise they never should've made) they would have to let down taxpayers by cutting other services more severely. My personal opinion of Clegg is neither here nor there.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Mind clearing this up for me? what's going on in the UK?