Is 2007 the worst year there's been for decent movies?

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

and Blood Diamond is also 2007 :D so it does count, again.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Didn't Apocalypto come out just before Christmas 2006 over here? It didn't get going until January. In The States it's a 2006 film but in the UK isn't it really a 2007 one?

Fair point Romero. It's just when a good one came along it wiped the floor with the so called Blockbusters of today. Transformers or Terminator/Predator/Die Hard? It's not in the same league and Transformers is very popular.

The big problem, this year has had so many threequels. Very few films can last 3 films. This year has had more than it's far share of them. Hollywood needs to come up with more than a handful of new ideas each year.
Hot Fuzz was decent but a serious drop from Shaun of the dead.
That is worrying.

I saw SOTD the other day and it just about passed Kermode's 3 laughs and it's funny meter. It was easily way, way better than most so called comedy coming out of Hollywood but it was also pretty average really.

I'd give that 6 out of 10.

The trailer for Hot Fuzz does make it look much better and for me Cop films are much more enjoyable than Zombie ones. I was going to get the Combo HD-DVD but think I'll check it out some other way.
Last edited by bradavon on 16 Sep 2007, 15:55, edited 3 times in total.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Have you seen Shoot Em Up in another country? Because it hasn't been released here yet Romero.
Brad - RE3 = Resident Evil 3 (which isn't out yet AFAIK) :?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Grim.

Shoot 'Em Up is out. It's playing in my local Odeon now. I was going to see it last night but think it's one I'd rather see on DVD.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Apocalypto 5th January 2007 :)

Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are odd in that they split people, some think Hot Fuzz is one of the best of the year, liked it (3.5 out of 5) but I liked Shaun more. But they are nothing alike at all, so comparing them is pretty silly for me, apart from same director and stars they are nothing alike :D

I saw Shoot em Up in the cinemas yesterday, not the best film ever made thats for sure, but good mindless silly fun.

I still say most the best fims of the years are still to come, theres a tonne of great looking films coming out over the next few months, I hope they do not disapoint.

I have seen many 5 star films this year, but none made this year :D watched Aliens the other day, still da bomb.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

And Aliens was made when? Oh the 1980s.

The type of comedy in Hot Fuzz looks very similar to Shaun of the Dead. I'm getting hold of HZ now.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote:and Blood Diamond is also 2007 :D so it does count, again.
is that right?funny how it got nominated for 5 oscars this year then :P Apocalypto & Rocky are 2006 released movies in their country of origin so they aren't from this year.sorry,you lose again :D
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:And Aliens was made when? Oh the 1980s.

So Aliens was made in the 80's, does not mean all the films then were great (far from it most are shit). I can name plenty of 5 Star films from many years. Very few filsm deserve 5 stars thats for sure.

bradavon wrote: The type of comedy in Hot Fuzz looks very similar to Shaun of the Dead. I'm getting hold of HZ now.
I would say the comedy in Hot Fuzz is nothing like Shaun of the Deads at all :D very different things to me, but each to their own and you may well thing Hot Fuzz is a masterpiece of comedy, I am not that much of a comedy fan to start with mind you, most comedy I hate and can barley sit thru once. It has to be something special for me to watch it once, like an action comedy, or a Zombie Comedy etc..
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

the problem with Hot Fuzz is it's just too long and not funny enough.paying Homage to point break once was a nice touch but 3-4 times is overkill.
working class blu-ray fan
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

saltysam wrote:
romerojpg wrote:and Blood Diamond is also 2007 :D so it does count, again.
is that right?funny how it got nominated for 5 oscars this year then :P Apocalypto & Rocky are 2006 released movies in their country of origin so they aren't from this year.sorry,you lose again :D
Nope I dont loose at all, they all came out in UK in cinemas in 2007.

Rocky came out in 1 country in 2006, america. The other 500 countries it came out in 2007, same goes for Apocolypto and Blood Diamond.

They were only released on small amount of screens in america to qualitfy for the saddo Ocscars, no other reason.

Nearly all the world did not see them 3 films till 2007.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote:

So Aliens was made in the 80's, does not mean all the films then were great (far from it most are shit).
most films made in any year are pretty poor or average.are you saying there's more good movies about today than there was in the 80's?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote:
Nope I dont loose at all, they all came out in UK in cinemas in 2007.

Rocky came out in 1 country in 2006, america. The other 500 countries it came out in 2007, same goes for Apocolypto and Blood Diamond.

They were only released on small amount of screens in america to qualitfy for the saddo Ocscars, no other reason.

Nearly all the world did not see them 3 films till 2007.
so these films were first screened to paying customers in 2006 and were nominated for 2006 awards yes?imdb gives dates on all 3 as 2006.i win.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

No, most films are shit from any year :D we see maybe a fraction of 1%, the other 99% are probibly not worth seeing in the first place no matter what years they are from.

I think you need to read the title of this thread, 2007 we are talking about. They awere all released in 2007.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote:

I think you need to read the title of this thread, 2007 we are talking about. They awere all released in 2007.
i saw Rocky & Apocalypto in 2006.Blood Diamond i haven't seen yet,supposed to be good,looks shit to me but i'll give it a go soon.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

How did you see them in 2006? unless you have holiday in america, or just download em, I cannot be arsed downloading anything, esspecially the quality you get :(
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote:How did you see them in 2006? unless you have holiday in america, or just download em, I cannot be arsed downloading anything, esspecially the quality you get :(
i downloaded nothing,someone lent me them,they were perfect quality dvd screeners and i have since bought both on blu-ray :)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I watched first of all a little of an Apocolypto screener when I was suposed to review it (wish I saw it in the cinema), I didnt as it has bloody words on it (Property of whomever popping on sreen every few minutes) so I said no way I am reviewing that. I will never watch a film with flashing words on the screen like that, if companies cannot send out proper screeners to be reviewed they are morons. I had to borrow the Region 3 evrsion to watch the rest of the film.

Would have been great in the cinema as well :( still waiting to buy the thing on HD.

I would say Apolcolypto was maybe one of the best suprises of the year, it was different thats for sure.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:Apocalypto & Rocky are 2006 released movies in their country of origin so they aren't from this year.sorry,you lose again :D
That is a bit of a silly point IMO. They're American films so are bound to be released months early over there. We don't live in America though so had no/little hope of seeing them in 2006.

They're both 2006 & 2007 films :D . OMG I'm agreeing with Romero :D
romerojpg wrote:So Aliens was made in the 80's, does not mean all the films then were great (far from it most are shit).
I don't believe that is what I was saying ;)
romerojpg wrote:I cannot be arsed downloading anything, esspecially the quality you get :(
Actually the quality of great downloads is about equal to crap ones but then you are super fussy so may find the DVD Rips to be crap quality too.
romerojpg wrote:Would have been great in the cinema as well :( still waiting to buy the thing on HD.
It's been out on HD since May.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup its been out on HD, but I have not had a HD player since then and not got Blu ray yet and the HD DVD version costs a lot and has no extras :D so waiting till I get a Blu Ray player, it may be cheap by then as well :D

At least 2007 for me is the year of HD, so even if the films have not been the best of any other year, the HD quaility of films old and new has been worth the wait :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I was just pointing out it's been out on HD in decent form for ages. Is there an HD-DVD though? Is it a Mainland European release?

If the HD-DVD is bare-bones it's a non-starter IMO. HD-DVD and BD are like R1 and R2 to me. If one is crap I'll just get the other. I want the best which means not comprising (like most) and getting one format.

Buying just one format is the same as buying a single region DVD player, in my opinion. No one in their right mind would do this, so why HD?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

it's out on HD-DVD in Poland.i doubt it would even have english subs.
working class blu-ray fan
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote: That is a bit of a silly point IMO. They're American films so are bound to be released months early over there. We don't live in America though so had no/little hope of seeing them in 2006.

it's not an important point but not a silly one either.if someone (maybe in a pub quiz)asked you in 5 years time which year was Apocalypto first released you wouldn't remember,you'd check imdb and say 2006. for example Close Encounters is a 1977 release and that's what anyone would say after checking,in fact it wasn't released in uk until 1978. besides you think Bourne Supremacy is a 2007 release 8)
Last edited by saltysam on 16 Sep 2007, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup it has No english subs sadly. Which is odd, as many other Polish HD DVD releases have english subs.

But hey Extra free for me put me off way back, at least I know the Blu Ray has great image, english subs and extras :D and costs half the price. It will be one of the first Blu Rays I pick up.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

saltysam wrote:
bradavon wrote: That is a bit of a silly point IMO. They're American films so are bound to be released months early over there. We don't live in America though so had no/little hope of seeing them in 2006.

it's not an important point but not a silly one either.if someone (maybe in a pub quiz)asked you in 5 years time which year was Apocalypto first released you wouldn't remember,you'd check imdb and say 2006. for example Close Encounters is a 1977 release and that's what anyone would say after checking,in fact it wasn't released in uk until 1978. besides you think Bourne Supremacy is a 2007 release 8)

and hey you are right on that, but I was the other way around!

I was in a Pub Quiz and they were messing about at the end as it was between my team and another. I knew the answer was right, but they went off the american release! it was a english film and came out in the UK first, but they went off the crap american date! so we lost, I tried arguing a lot and nearly kicked someones head in, they basically said in the end your wrong we are right as its on this piece of paper. I lost £50 knobbers!

I was right mind you :lol:

UK peeps should go on UK release dates, americans off american release dates :D no confustion then.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

You do seem to have a real urge to kick someone's head in Romero, or shoot them in the face. Be careful that urge doesn't turn into reality one day :D