Should under 15's be given alcohol?

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

It's mainly in products which are labelled as 'diet', 'sugar free', and 'no added sugar', that kind of thing.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yeah, but what does it do?

I mean, unless we eat nothing but organic foods we're probably fucked.

Every day I open the paper and read an article about how we're ALL GONNA DIE from some ingredient or other.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

It's a sugar substitute isn't it?
The irony is that so called "diet" products, low fat or whatever probably have more sugar in them than the high fat ones :?
gojensen
King of Beggars

Post by gojensen »

I'm not sure they have more sugar in them (because then what's the use for a sugar substitute eh?) however the artificial sugars always seems to be too sweet, almost like they are making up for the lack of sugar by putting in way too much sweet in the taste.

Especially noticeable in most "Light" soft-drinks (like Coke Light).
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I dont like any of the 'light' crap. Most of it tastes like crap. I just go for regular cola and candy and chips, and just do some exercises so I wont get fat.

About the whole underage drinking thing. I think it's about how you raise your kids, with what morals and values and all that. Also, it's about the people (s)he chooses to hang out with, and what kind of people they are.
Throdly, I think it's about boredom. If it's saturdaynight and there is just nothing to do except to drink, then that's what people will do. For many, drinking seems to be THE activity, while it should be just part of an otherwise social evening.

I cant comment on drinking too much, as I'm not a drinker myself. I have never been drunk in my life, and dont plan on getting drunk either. I dont like alcoholic beverages and I dont care much for going out. I'm a boring SOB.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

gojensen wrote:I'm not sure they have more sugar in them (because then what's the use for a sugar substitute eh?) however the artificial sugars always seems to be too sweet, almost like they are making up for the lack of sugar by putting in way too much sweet in the taste.

Especially noticeable in most "Light" soft-drinks (like Coke Light).
You're right, that's because Aspartame is 200 times sweeter than sugar :?

If anyone wants to know what the supposed problem is with Aspartame, you could check out this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy, and there are many, many sites dedicated to it if you just type it in Google, too.
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

Aspartame is a sugar substitute that despite claims, is seriously bad for you, synthetic, it can cause ADHD, Liver Cancer, Leukemia and so on. it was actually a chemical warfare ingredient at one time....and they put this in your food...

some articles;

ASPARTAME - THE SHOCKING STORY OF THE WORLD'S BESTSELLING SWEETENER
The Truth About Aspartame
Aspartame Products As A Potential Danger To Infants, Children & Future Generations
Aspartame Causes Blood Disorders
Kids Eating And Snorting Aspartame To Get High

also here is just a bunch of links on one site to articles:
Aspartame Articles
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I've been suffering from what can only be described as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for the past 5 years or so, and I do wonder if Aspartame is to blame, since I used to drink a fizzy drink with it in daily, not knowing anything about it. :(
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

CFS has many triggers from a simple illness that damages your immune system, e.g. in some cases even the Flu can leave people with CFS but it also has genetic causes. i dunno about Aspartame but i wouldn't say no to it being a cause, that and all the other fake stuff they put in foodstuffs. try researching it though, there might be something on it and its relation to additives and sweeteners.
I mean, unless we eat nothing but organic foods we're probably fucked.
i pretty much do :mrgreen: i also cook everything myself even bread i very rarely buy prepackaged foods. i must admit i feel alot better than i did when i was eating that prepack crap.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup yet people will still say Alcohol is good for you, its not in todays times thats for sure. "Some" maybe, but to find that some you would have to know what your drinking in the first place, fact is most people havent got a clue at all.

Just saying Alcohol is good for you is total Bollocks, esspecially when shit like Alcopops are labeled as Alcohol, as them drinks are about 40 spoonfulls of sugar and some donkey piss, mixed with a small amount of alcohol. Tell me thats good for you and you must know your a fool for saying it.

Diet drinks have horrific acid in anyway, it totally rots your teeth away still, even if there is no sugar in it the acid is still there. So you can buy all the shitty Diet Pepsi and Coke all you want, its still shit in a bottle.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

romerojpg wrote:Just saying Alcohol is good for you is total Bollocks, esspecially when shit like Alcopops are labeled as Alcohol, as them drinks are about 40 spoonfulls of sugar and some donkey piss, mixed with a small amount of alcohol.
Exactly you bleedin' moron! It's all the shitty additives thrown into it and NOT just the fact it's an alcholic drink that makes those drinks so bad for you - just like any fruit flavoured drink out there (for example Sunny D). Most people do know the difference between a healthy alcoholic drink and an unhealthy one, they're not all as thick as you are! :banghead: (yay finally got to use that emoticon! :D)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

No people are as thick as I think they are and have no idea whats healthy at all, the evidence is out in the pubs and on the streets and in the shops.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

OK, look at it the other way, how many people out there do you really think treat the likes of Alcopops, Aftershock, Sambuca, Falvoured Vodka and the like as if they're good for their health? Even 14 yr old NEDs can tell the difference in the health value of a glass of red wine with your sunday roast and necking 4 bottles of bacardi breezer down the local park every friday night.

We could debate the public's perception of Alcoholic drinks ad nauseum, but it's not really addressing the fundamental problem of this proposed law penalising parents who let their children drink. Which is that it's yet another law that threatens to turn Britain into a Nanny State and it unfairly makes every parent in the land who lets their kids have a glass of wine, or a pint of mild (poor little sods) on a special occassion, into criminals! Brirain does not have a problem with kids binge-drinking on booze purposely supplied by their parents. The vast majority of child binge-drinking occurs away from the home, or in their home when both parents are out at work or on holiday (party time); and the vast majority of adult-supplied, child boozing comes from when kids get together in a group and bribe a passing stranger (or older NED m8) into getting the booze for them.

To crack down on this sort of thing we need proper, much more specific laws than just saying "oh let's just blame parents in general".
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I like Smirnoff Ice and WKD Iron Brew.

But I couldn't have more than a couple in one sitting.

I'd switch to Jack Daniels or Southern Comfort most likely.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Interesting point of view, which maybe differs from the norm. -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6645651.stm

It makes lots of sense to me. I can bet now Romero won't somehow agree :D
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I dont disagree, I just know most these fact filled articles are PURE BULLSHIT, with little or no fact behind them. If its on the BBC it has to be true haha. Even experts totally disagree with each other, so us normal folk have bugger all chance of knowing whats Good for you, we never will, untill in 50 years time people start to die etc..
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

bradavon wrote:Interesting point of view, which maybe differs from the norm. -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6645651.stm

It makes lots of sense to me. I can bet now Romero won't somehow agree :D
Interesting point, and seems fair enough to me :D
Makes sense.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Teaching a responsible attitude toward alcohol can only be a good thing.