Asian Tsunami!

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Ohhh My God!!!!!

They have just shown the before and after Satalite images of the places hit by the waves! they are unbelvebl!!!!! whole islands have disapeared! its just gobsmacking and from them images basically I cannot beleve anyone lived at all! I am in shock from them satalite pics! :o
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

[quote][i]Originally posted by grim_tales[/i]
Oh sorry Rico I thought JC collected Euro not HK$, my mistake.
As a news report yesterday said, its easy to get lost in all the big numbers of amounts and things but we must make sure the money gets to the needy, and not swallowed up. [/quote]

sorry i meant us dollars, not hk dollars....
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Oh right, thanks. :)
I heard that the UN (well Kofi Annan anyway) says it could take 10 years for the countries affected to recover. :o:(
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Well a lot of them wont ever recover and the people have started deserting certain islands as there was barley no survivors and there no islands left, it washed most the land mass away :( there was hundreds of islands effects and many are not habitable anymore as there mo actual land and no peoplel left to do anything with.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I hear the aid has reached 1 billion let's keep it going.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Aid means nothing really, they can have as much cash as they need, its not cash they need, its helicopters and army, cash is nice, but pointless if theres no way to get to peopl.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

LOL but cash turns into food, clothing etc . . .
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

True, helicopters and troops have been sent out with physical possessions too Romero but Brad is right.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I mean they now have enuff cash for many month, its helicopters they NEED now not more cash, as people will start getting diseases and other things over the next month or so and the people will start dying in vast numbers then, so they need helicopters and such to get out the medical stuff and clean water and food. They will need massive fleets of copters, and some areas still have not yet been reached by people yet! thats scary!
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

56 million raised in Holland right now. Too bad some old famous showhost (Mies Bouwman) said in an interview today that people shouldnt complain if 1/3rd of the cash never arrives at the people and places for which it's intended, but stays in pockets of the organisations. (In other words, there will still be many people working in these foundations stealing the money for their own benefit, like a new big-ass 'company' car, or a nice golden pen etc etc. You know, the 'usual' deductable equipment they need to do their job.
These frauding bastards make me sick to my stomach.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

*Agrees with Yi-Long*.
I came across this eye-opening quote today...

[quote]
There used to be a horrible old law in journalism that 100,000 dead in a Chinese earthquake equals 10,000 dead in a continental plane crash equals two slightly injured in a car crash on the north circular
[/quote]

- Jeremy Paxman

Also -
[quote]
A single death is a tragedy, a million is a [i]statistic[/i]
[/quote]

- Stalin

Is it me or are some reporters still applying that "law" when reporting the numbers in the tsunami? Like say, in their/"our" eyes 200 of our own people are more important than many thousands of foreigners??? :roll: