Is it worth getting a 3D BD player?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Is it worth getting a 3D BD player?

Post by grim_tales »

Hey,
Although I have a 3D TV, sometimes I wonder is it worth getting a 3D BD (Multi Region) player? They sound expensive, and then I feel as if I'd have to upgrade all my applicable movies to 3D which would cost a fortune. I've been pretty happy with my current old Panny player since 2009 or so :)
I could possibly get a cheapo RB 3D player but I dont know if I have enough space/HDMI ports :oops: Does 3D really make a difference?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Is it worth getting a 3D BD player?

Post by Yi-Long »

Do you like 3D?

Personally, I'm not interested in 3D at all. My TV can do it, but the glasses are still wrapped cause they've never been used. Might try it sometime for some 3D games, but for movies, I simply prefer 2D.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I don't 'like' 3D but I dont dislike it either, I'm still getting used to it TBH. My TV can do it too but I dont use it much. Sometimes I just wonder if I should future proof my equipment?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

grim_tales wrote:I don't 'like' 3D but I dont dislike it either, I'm still getting used to it TBH. My TV can do it too but I dont use it much. Sometimes I just wonder if I should future proof my equipment?
Well, do you feel 3D is really 'the future'?

Personally, I already know that 10 years from now, I'll still prefer 2D over 3D, just like I know I don't have any interest in any of those curved screens, and certainly not in 4K screens in the near future.

Hell, I'm still pissed off they cancelled production of Plasma TV's, because all the idiots in the world bought into LCD-LED crap.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Good point about led vs plasma!!

I'm really not convinced about led. And the blue light is meant to impede melatonin production. Really not healthy for evening viewing!
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Even this cat is embarrassed wearing 3D glasses.

Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I have a fancy 3D projector and I've felt the need to only watch one film in 3D (Argento's Dracula 3D, I didn't hold the film itself against the presentation! :D). I can tell you that 3D transfers on my projector look like shit compared to the equivalent 2D. A friend of mine has a passive 42" LED and the 3D on that isn't bad at all, but you're still viewing with 3D glasses messing up the contrast/brightness all for the sake of "depth of field". I think 3D in the home is complete madness tbh & only of use to families who want to go "wow" for a couple of hours before the novelty wears off!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Not sure about 3D being 'the future', I might go 4K in a few years, or something, when the price comes down and theres some actual 4K content.
You're right about the image seeming dimmer with 3D Shing, its just the same when you watch 3D in the cinema.
I never knew that about melatonin LS, what is it? :?
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

grim_tales wrote:Not sure about 3D being 'the future', I might go 4K in a few years, or something, when the price comes down and theres some actual 4K content.
You're right about the image seeming dimmer with 3D Shing, its just the same when you watch 3D in the cinema.
I never knew that about melatonin LS, what is it? :?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/0 ... 32920.html
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Interesting... perhaps I shouldnt watch so much TV then :( As for Plasma.. have they stopped making Plasmas now? Maybe when 4K becomes mainstream there'll be better tech (though I'm not yet convinced by these curved/OLED TV's....)
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

As far as I'm concerned, 4K is marketing hype only, when we're talking about TVs.

I can see how PC-screens might benefit (although just barely, and at the moment not really worth the 'cost' when it comes to processing-power), in programs like Photoshop and such...

... but for TVs, and we've had the same discussion when it came to 720p vs 1080p.... there's only so much 'detail' and 'sharpness' you will actually observe when you're a few feet away on your couch or bed. 1080p is perfect for me, and TBH, I never had a problem with my 720p TV either.

And yeah Grim, sadly both Panasonic and Samsung have decided to quit production of their superior plasma-TVs, despite those TV's pretty much winning every award in every category when it comes to great picture quality and value for money etc etc. It's ridiculous.
LCD/LED simply can't compare with plasma, and OLED seems to be taking ages to finally get here, and they're not affordable yet, and they're also being put into curved screens, which are stupid.

They should have just improved their marketing for their plasma-TVs, cause the problem was ignorant consumers, not the product itself.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i've got a 47" LG 3D tv that i didn't buy specifically for the 3D more the fact the television was £200 cheaper than anywhere else at the time.As a glasses wearer i picked up a clip on 3D frame you clip onto your normal specs.Can't say i've been wowed by all the few 3D movies i've watched, Amazing Spiderman 3D was pretty underwhelming, Gravity,Pacific Rim were good, Dial M For Murder not great.
working class blu-ray fan
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I have a 47" 3D set too (Panny), its pretty nice :)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Just bought a sony UHD player & Oled television.
working class blu-ray fan