Codefree Blu Ray Player?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Codefree Blu Ray Player?

Post by thelostdragon »

Hey,
yeah I know, it's been a while. I was quite busy with my personal life and with my professional life as well.

Anyway, I recently got an LG HDTV (Full HD) and I'm now looking for a Blu Ray Player with which I can play BluRay discs from all three regions, A, B and C. I've googled, but everywhere I looked it said that there are only some BR players that can be switched to codefree in terms of DVDs. Any idea if there are any good players that are codefree for BR discs?
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?

Post by IronMonkey »

As far as I'm aware, you'll have to get a player chipped to play multi-region BDs. I got my Panasonic a couple of years back from MultiRegionMagic...
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Nice to see you LD, a couple of us on here have a Limit Blu-ray player that can be made region free simply by entering a code via the remote control. I don't know if they're still available though, I don't think HMV sells them anymore (which is where I got mine from).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Unlike DVD Players, there's no region-free Player for BDs but some can be switched from Region A, B or C. The majority are chip based. My LG is software based but it's a BD/HD-DVD Player, so I doubt you'll want that (if you can still get it). Like the Limit it's done using a code on the remote.

I've no idea about Germany but in The UK, Multi-region Magic (as IM says) for established makes or players like Limit (plus others under the same brand) for a cheap sub £100 Player but reportedly very good. The Limit Players are software based.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Ah yeah I forgot that I'd need to use a code to turn it back to region B, because I only use it for region A's you see, also it did become region free for DVDs.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Region free for DVDs is handy. Thankfully most discs are still region free, so I've only got to switch it from RA/RB sometimes. You have no Region Bs at all?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I use my PS3 as my default BD player, and the Limit whenever I get a region A (usually Criterions hah).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Is the PS3 better quality?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Yes because the Limit unfortunately adds edge enhancement.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

There's no sharpness control? How annoying. Does it add it excessively?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

The fact that it adds it at all is excessive to me, I don't know how to measure it tbh. I don't let it bother me too much because the machine was so cheap though.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Go for a chipped Oppo player LD,they are superb (but pricey). i'm not just saying this because i have one,go on avforums here and the usa and you'll see it confirmed.They have a new model coming very soon which is allegedly going to be awesome.
working class blu-ray fan
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Thanks everybody. I found a couple of modded players, but most of them only played Region A and B. Not C. :?
I'll let you know which one I'm going to go for.
I knew I could count on my old friend at Bullets. :D
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Would you really be wanting to play region C though?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've seen some of those. It's odd not to also create a chip that supports Region C but Region C covers parts of the world it's unlikely you'll ever buy a disc from and if you did, it's likely to be region free. Can you see India bothering with region coding for example? -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Region_codes

Still if price is the same, you may as well get Region A-C.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Oh wow. I see. I always thought All of Asia was region C. I got a wrong map then. So Korean and HK discs are region A. Cool.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

:D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Region Codes seem to follow a more economic and political than geographical path. Just look at DVDs: Japan R2, China R6, South East Asia/Hong Kong/Taiwan/South Korea R3 and South Asia (India/Pakistan)/Mongola/North Korea R5. BD follows the same path but simplified.