Windows 8 News

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Windows 8 News

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:Well I wouldn't know as it doesn't work if you don't have "show thumbnails" activated, but I woiuld have thought it is only a single mouse click quicker than simply opening the files. I'll take screenshots later tonight to show you how it looks for me.
I meant because the preview (should) appear instantly, instead of having to wait for the programme to open first.
Shingster wrote:I can only view small, medium, large, x-large icons, not thumbnails (unless of course I go into Folder Options and turn on thumbnails, but then that's a universal switch).
Ah. I see where you're going wrong now. You've told Explorer you don't want to display thumbnails (by deciding to enable that Folder Option) and then are expecting it to still display thumbnails. The idea is, it will always display thumbnails for images, unless they happen to slow your PC down (hence the option which is disabled by default). Why enable that option? I can see what you're trying to achieve but it goes against how Vista/Win7's Explorer has been designed :).

In comparison the WinXP Explorer Thumbnail view is now redundant and quite antiquated. It makes more sense to always show thumbnails, where relevant.
Shingster wrote:EDIT: I've figured out that you can get both icons and thumbnails by turning on thumbnails and making sure the folder in which you want just icons displayed is set to Details or List view. It's neutered by the fact you're still gonna be forced to view the thumbnails when opening a folder with another application though. :banghead:
Why are you against seeing thumbnails all the time? Thumbnails are cached so should only need to load thumbnails the first time you go into them.
Shingster wrote:Seriously, it's good to have the extra choice but the downside is that it's more of a chore actually sifting through the whole list for the one specific column you may need.
True.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I've only used Windows 7 a few times and am not too thrilled about the Superbar. It's a zillion times better than OSX's Dock which it rips off though, which is pretty dreadful.

I hated the task grouping which the old Windows taskbar had used from XP onwards and would always disable it.

When I do eventually migrate to W7, I'll look into customising the shit out of the Superbar, eg making the icons far, far smaller. I love the old Quick Launch bar and am pleased that you can revive it with some fiddling around in W7.

I'm looking into getting a W7 Pro x64 key so that I can do a direct upgrade from Vista Business x64 (can't be arsed faffing about with a clean install, too many non-revokeable game DRM licenses and the like sitting on my current Windows installation. Fucking GfWL, 3rd party developers should all abandon it and switch to the infinity more end-user friendly Steamworks DRM from Valve.). I'm in no hurry though.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Mac user since the early 90s!
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:I've only used Windows 7 a few times and am not too thrilled about the Superbar.
Really? You're literally the first person who I know has said that. Why? It's a breath of fresh air and jump lists are cool too. BTW you can revert it back to how it looks in Windows 9x/2000/XP/Vista if you really want to. You can even bring the legacy Quick Launch back. You can no longer revert back tot he Windows 9x-2000 Start Menu though.
EvaUnit02 wrote:I hated the task grouping which the old Windows taskbar had used from XP onwards and would always disable it.
Agreed that can be annoying but the ability to show shortcuts and open apps so effectively placed together overrides this. Besides the Aero thumbnails work very well indeed, so at least helping in this respect.
EvaUnit02 wrote:I love the old Quick Launch bar and am pleased that you can revive it with some fiddling around in W7.
But really why would you want to? The shortcuts in Windows 7 work much more dynamically. Seriously give it a proper try first.

You're really late to the game btw. Windows Vista is certainly a big step forward in the back end but feels just like XP in usage. Windows 7 is miles better and Windows 8 is possibly out next year anyway.
EvaUnit02 wrote:I'm looking into getting a W7 Pro x64 key so that I can do a direct upgrade from Vista Business x64
OMG! WTF! Are you for real? Remember your own advice a few years back. Bad idea dude, bad idea. So much old code get left behind when upgrading, not to mention OS bloat.
EvaUnit02 wrote:too many non-revokeable game DRM licenses and the like sitting on my current Windows installation.
Surely you can back them up or reinstate them from the original provider? Why are you even bothering with DRM? It's like using DRM Music, it's just crazy. What if your PC died one day? You'd have no backup.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Latest rumours btw are a Windows 8 Beta over the next few months and 2012 the likely release. Microsoft have said in some twitter feed 2012 is likely. It's going to be a hell of a lot more touch screen friendly because lets face it the touch screen aspect of Windows 7 sucks. It also support ARM processors allowing for better tablet support. Windows 7 is being ham fisted onto tablets they'll all suck.

A Windows 8 App Store is also rumoured, to go alongside the one that's going to be in the next version of MAC OS. This so long overdue it's crazy.

It's all largely rumours right now though, nothing confirmed.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Windows 8 News: Feature Rumour. It's a check list, so quick to read:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/mic ... tners/6698
luckystars wrote:Mac user since the early 90s!
Relevant, how? Start your own Mac thread :D.