Why does it take me forever to burn a movie to DVD?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Why does it take me forever to burn a movie to DVD?

Post by Markgway »

Attempt #1 - I tried a Signalex 16X DVD-R (same brand I used on my previous PC) and the burn wouldn't start.

Attempt #2 - I tried a Signalex 16X DVD+R and the drive jammed.

Attempt #3 - I tried Maxell 16X DVD+R and the burn went smooth and fast (took about 15 mins, I think, I didn't time it exactly).

Attempt #4 - Same disc as above. Same speed etc. Took me 8 hours to burn a movie. Yes, e-i-g-h-t.

Attempt #5 - Try another disc. Same brand etc as above. Manages only 4.6% in about 45 mins. I give up and write the disc off.

Attempt #6 - Trying another Signalex +R (turns out the media code is the same as Verbatim's top quality) and whilst it's marginally faster 6.1% in 25 mins that's clearly waaaay too slow.

Any ideas? I can't figure out why Attempt #3 was excellent and the rest poor. The files sizes are about the same.

My drive is as folows: hp DVD A DH16AAL LHDE [E] (ata)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Why does it take me forever to burn a movie to DVD?

Post by bradavon »

What software are you using? Try something else, it can make a difference:

1. Nero 8 Lite. You need a license for this but it's generally considered the best:

Latest Version: http://updatepack.nl/downloads/nero-lite/nero-8-lite/
More Info: https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... =20&t=4504

2. Free options: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-best-f ... vd-burner/

CD Burner XP is excellent and works perfectly fine on Vista/Windows 7.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

I wouldn't say 15 minutes to burn a DVD at 16x was excellent. I burn a lot of DVDs when I'm testing optical drives at work, and a full 4.7GB disc at 16x usually takes about 5 minutes.

Maybe the drive itself is faulty. There is no way a disc should take 8 hours to burn, even with problematic software. Try replacing the drive. They're ridiculously cheap these days.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Could your data transfer mode be stuck at PIO? Look at this link for info on how to check if your data transfer rate is set to PIO or DMA (you want it set to DMA)

Oh, and if you want another great free burning utlity suggestion then try IMGBurn.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:Could your data transfer mode be stuck at PIO? Look at this link for info on how to check if your data transfer rate is set to PIO or DMA (you want it set to DMA)
Good point. It definitely should be set to DMA.

Mark uses Windows 7 but those instructions are virtually the same. When you right click on My Computer (Computer on Windows 7) and choose Properties, you need to click on Device Manager on the right hand side. It's then the same as XP.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Hey,

I've got a green tick next to DMA Mode and a tick next to Let BIOS select transfer mode.

Can't do a speed test.

Any of that mean anything?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Forgot to mention: Attempt #6 took 5 hours and had an avg burn rate of 0.10.

Any advice?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

You've not said what software you're using or if you've tried something else? It's may not be the root cause but is worth knowing.
Markgway wrote:I've got a green tick next to DMA Mode and a tick next to Let BIOS select transfer mode.
Do you mean "Enable DMA"? What "Let BIOS select transfer mode" option? I've got Windows 7 and have this:

Markgway wrote:Can't do a speed test.
What speed test?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I'm using ConvertX AVI to DVD 3.

The problem seems to be to do with avg. burn rates.

0.10 took be 5 hrs, whereas 6.16 took me 20 mins.

That was a few days ago and I haven't knowingly changed any settings.

BTW. My devices panel doesn't look like yours.

I'll see if I can capture an image.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The second controller has no drives listed. The following images are taken from the first controller's properties.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Interesting...

I just reboot my PC to install a couple of Windows Updates and when I went back to the drive device properties that BIOS select option was UNchecked. I didn't do it. So I decided to try another burn and - guess what? - total success. Took less than 10 mins. So perhaps THAT was the problem? Anyways I hope it stays fixed and I don't have to post back here crying about how terribly wrong it's gone again!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I thought you said you had Windows 7? That's Windows Vista.

Didn't you only recently buy it? I'd complain, they've given you old stock with Vista on it. Windows 7 is much better and definitely worth the effort to upgrade. At least I'm pretty sure, those colours mean Vista. Does your Task Bar look like this? -

Vista: http://comp-resources.berkeley.edu/msvi ... esktop.png
Or this: Windows 7: http://photos.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/wp-cont ... esktop.png

Regardless that tells me, DMA is enabled (so it "should" be using it) and it's your BIOS that's controlling this (which is good). You cannot alter anything because your BIOS is doing it. It looks like you have Nvidia drivers installed, instead of the standard Windows ones because those windows look customised. Which again is good.

Have you tried disabling AVG? That could definitely be at fault. What made you go with AVG in the end?
Markgway wrote:I just reboot my PC to install a couple of Windows Updates and when I went back to the drive device properties that BIOS select option was UNchecked. I didn't do it. So I decided to try another burn and - guess what? - total success. Took less than 10 mins. So perhaps THAT was the problem? Anyways I hope it stays fixed and I don't have to post back here crying about how terribly wrong it's gone again!
That must mean, when the BIOS is controlling the Controller, it's enabling DMA but "not" using it (i.e - it's PIO Mode, as Shingster says above). Is there still a Green Tick next to DMA? I'd guess now Windows is controlling it, it's enabled and being used.

That is odd. It's usually better to let the BIOS control these things, over Windows. The BIOS is basically the software that controls hardware before Windows can see it. It's what allows your computer to initially see what hard disk, cd-rom etc.. you have. It's installed "inside" the motherboard.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Can't you change Win7 styles to match vista's style? Perhaps that's what he's done. Still using WinXPpro myself but I've had a copy of Win7 since launch gathering dust on my pile, must update it soon.

I'd also recommend you get rid of AVG Mark, Avast is better and I've heard good things about Avira as well.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:Can't you change Win7 styles to match vista's style? Perhaps that's what he's done.
You sure can but I doubt many people would want to or Mark in particular would do so. The Black/Red theme is Vista's default theme and it's Blue for Windows 7.

You can no longer go back to the Classic Windows 9x Start Menu though, that was last seen in Vista. Which is a good thing, it removes a boatload of functionality and was long overdue for removal: http://www.vista4beginners.com/files/im ... m/csm4.jpg
Shingster wrote:Still using WinXPpro myself but I've had a copy of Win7 since launch gathering dust on my pile, must update it soon.
OMG! You've got the ability to upgrade and you've not done it! Windows 7 is miles better than both XP and Vista. XP is nippier but hen it's a decade old and doesn't do as much. It really is a fantastic OS.
Shingster wrote:I'd also recommend you get rid of AVG Mark, Avast is better and I've heard good things about Avira as well.
It's really down to personal preference. I don't get involved any more in this discussion, it's too controversial.

Agreed though, Avast is easily the best of the Free AV software. I'm really impressed with it. It's memory footprint alone is miles better than AVG. You can also disable it completely with just one click. Turning AVG off fully, is a nightmare. I hate security software that's hard to disable. You need to be able to sometimes, when it conflicts with something. People tend to go with AVG because it's the known name but it's pretty bloated nowadays.

I tried Avira but it looked really basic. The fourth free option is Microsoft Security Essentials, it's only a 2Mb download but it's memory footprint seemed no better than AVG. It's also REALLY basic. In a future revisions it maybe decent but for now, avoid!

IMO the best Security Suite period is Kaspersky Internet Security, it's £18-22 a year for a 1 user license. Cheap as chips.

p.s - Remember to disable Windows Defender, in Control Panel. There's no need for it with, any of the above.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:I thought you said you had Windows 7? That's Windows Vista.
No. It's Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm not that stupid.
Does your Task Bar look like this?
Looks more like the second one.
Have you tried disabling AVG? That could definitely be at fault. What made you go with AVG in the end?
I don't have AVG. My Norton trial is still running.
That must mean, when the BIOS is controlling the Controller, it's enabling DMA but "not" using it (i.e - it's PIO Mode, as Shingster says above). Is there still a Green Tick next to DMA?
Yes. Hopefully that's the problem solved.
That is odd. It's usually better to let the BIOS control these things, over Windows. The BIOS is basically the software that controls hardware before Windows can see it. It's what allows your computer to initially see what hard disk, cd-rom etc.. you have. It's installed "inside" the motherboard.
I don't understand why the BIOS would use PIO over DMA - if that's indeed the case. All I know is that the burn worked perfectly after I rebooted and the tick at Let BIOS select transfer mode had gone. If it's a coincidence I may still have problems burning. I'll try another burn tonight and see how that goes.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Ah got it. You meant "average" not AVG here -
Markgway wrote:The problem seems to be to do with avg. burn rates.
I was about to say my Win7 colours are the same. My mistake.
Markgway wrote:I don't understand why the BIOS would use PIO over DMA - if that's indeed the case. All I know is that the burn worked perfectly after I rebooted and the tick at Let BIOS select transfer mode had gone. If it's a coincidence I may still have problems burning. I'll try another burn tonight and see how that goes.
Me either. If you're interested, you could have a look. It's usually DEL or F12 when you first turn the PC on, before Windows loads (the black part). It will say what the key is, it only appears on screen for a few seconds. There'll be an option in there for DMA. Usually the same section as the hard disks.

You cannot do any harm, just exit out and obviously choose to NOT save changes. Usually pressing ESC a few times does this.

You could always try re-ticking it, no?

p.s - Get rid of that Norton crap and put Avast Free 5.0 or Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 on.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I'll take a look at the BIOS setup next time I reboot - unless the burns continue to work in which case if ain't broke...

I've still got about 5 weeks or so on my free Norton trial, when that's almost up I'll switch to something else.

I saw a Kaspersky 2007 pack for £7 in a bargain shop but I wasn't sure if that would still be updatable.

I may just get the best free one on the market.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Markgway wrote:I don't understand why the BIOS would use PIO over DMA - if that's indeed the case. All I know is that the burn worked perfectly after I rebooted and the tick at Let BIOS select transfer mode had gone. If it's a coincidence I may still have problems burning. I'll try another burn tonight and see how that goes.
It happens, I remember a few years back with Win2000 my BIOS settings suddenly switched to PIO once, it's also happened to me in Win2000 itself and when installed WinXP Home. 'Tis pretty much the only reason why I recognised the problem right away when I read your first post! :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I'm glad there are people on this forum who know about this shit. :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:I saw a Kaspersky 2007 pack for £7 in a bargain shop but I wasn't sure if that would still be updatable.
Do you mean Kasperksy v7? There is no 2007. It went from v7 to 2009 and now 2010. Was that Anti-Virus or Internet Security? 2009 keys works fine with 2010 but older, you may struggle. It's only £18 from Aria or £22 from Amazon. That's for Internet Security, less for Anti-Virus.
Markgway wrote:I may just get the best free one on the market.
That would be Avast Free 5.0! No contest, IMO.

Older versions have an ugly Media Player style interface, thankfully they've fixed that with v5 and it looks, well normal. Also old versions may not been Windows 7 compatible.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I maybe confused about which version of Kaspersky I saw. Might have been 2009. Might have been Anti Virus? I really don't now now.

Noted about Avast Free 5.0. Might try that one. Any negatives or catches I should know about?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Not really. By default the system tray icon spins when it's scanning (in my experience when it's doing anything), that I find annoying. It's a simple tick box to turn off in the first settings screen though.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Thanks.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Did another burn last night. Worked a treat. Must have been the BIOS thing after all.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Fuck! I'm having problems again with burning. 4/5 attempts result in dead slow burns. I did one earlier that only managed 30% in 3.5 hrs! I'm going thru discs like they were free. I checked the IDE ATA Controller and it doesn't matter what I switch to - DMA fixed, PIO, or Let BIOS choose - nothing changes. For a while I was getting the burns to work but recently it's gone to shit. I've looked on the net and there's a suggestion that uninstalling the IDE drivers is the way to go. Any thoughts or WARNINGS from you guys...?

Note: When I check the BIOS settings it always lists UDMA 5 for the E: drive.
I can't change it, but I shouldn't need to since that's the optimum setting is it not?
Seems like everything has been set correctly but still there's a problem.................. (!?!)