Looks like I'm gonna need this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SATA-Adapter-Po ... 635&sr=8-2

Although this one here sounds the same and is much cheaper:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... ative=6738
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Rescuing my hard drive...

Post by Shingster »

If it's mostly Word or text documents that you need to recover then you should be ok with a file recovery program, just make sure you write as little as possible to your HD. You might find this link handy, can't hurt to try some free recovery proggies.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Are you sure the hard disk has had it? If so, either of those should do the job, to be able to plug an internal hard disk, externally into a USB port.

p.s - They are the same. Check out eBay too.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I should've explained... My old PC is dead. It won't power up. The last time I tried it went all funny and then... flatline. But I'm hoping that just because the Operating System (is that the apt term?) is gone it doesn't mean that the C drive (where my files are held) is ruined. If I can use the docking adapter to access my old hard drive I can perhaps rescue my files (word and notepad documents). The rest I don't care about. I decide to order from the first link. I know it's more expensive but I like the fact that it shows you exactly what you're getting and has specific user feedback. Usually I'm a cheap skate but these files are too important to me to risk losing for buying an iffy product. Worst comes to worst and they were the same I lost a tenner. Big deal for piece of mind.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Ah I see.. I just assumed you would connect your old HD to your new PC directly (SATA or IDE). Either way hopefully you'll have some luck with a file recovery proggy once you've got your old drive connected up.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Correct. It's very likely if you plug it into another PC you can simply copy/paste the files from Drive D to Drive C. The drive will need external powerful (usb is only powerful enough for 2.5" drives but these aren't found in desktop PCs) but I imagine those cables will come with them. Yes that is the correct term.

I have an IDE version exactly like you've ordered, I use it for a DVD-ROM drive (my laptop's drive is DVD region locked, so I can only copy R2 discs with it) and it works a treat, plug in, drive appears. That's it. The cable you've bought is compatible with IDE or SATA drives and 2.5" or 3.5" drives, so everything covered. If it comes with a CD of software, don't use it. You'll just need to plug it in and installing the software will likely just make it worse (it will be for Windows 95/98 etc...).

I do the same some times, user feedback on some things is a must. If your files are stored in a profile folder, then you "may" not have permission to gain access to these files. It's easy enough to reverse, if you need to. I mean here (Windows 2000/XP path):

C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\My Documents

This is the default location, so it's likely you've got them there. You may be able to get straight in, if not, we can help. FYI the drive letter won't be C on your new PC but whatever the next available letter is.

Do you still have the original Windows disc? If so (and after you're sure you've got it all off), there's no harm sticking it into your old PC, formatting the PC and reinstalling Windows. It's a simple, follow the Next button wizard, for the most part. You may very well have a working PC again you can give away/sell.
Shingster wrote:Ah I see.. I just assumed you would connect your old HD to your new PC directly (SATA or IDE). Either way hopefully you'll have some luck with a file recovery proggy once you've got your old drive connected up.
As you know, that's not much more difficult really but Mark is probably unkeen.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

What exactly was wrong with your PC Mark? You say it wouldn't power up, did it emit any beep sounds when you tried turning it on or was it just dead and you couldn't switch it on at all?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Shingster wrote:Ah I see.. I just assumed you would connect your old HD to your new PC directly (SATA or IDE). Either way hopefully you'll have some luck with a file recovery proggy once you've got your old drive connected up.
I'm not sure how you would do that. I was told that using a docking device was the safest way of accessing an old hard drive. So you would connect the old drive (which is an IDE) to the dock then the dock to my new PC. Means I don't have to fiddle about installing possibly damaged drives or do anything complicated that could jeopardize my machine. Maybe it's simple to connect direct but you know I'm not an expert at such things. Do you think that buying the dock was a mistake?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Shingster wrote:What exactly was wrong with your PC Mark? You say it wouldn't power up, did it emit any beep sounds when you tried turning it on or was it just dead and you couldn't switch it on at all?
No beep sounds.

When I pressed the power on button the red 'on' light flashed and then went immediately off (it's supposed to stay on). It gave the appearence of the machine working (the fan was on) but there was no startup. Just blank. I could tell the machine sounded a bit different. The initial options screen (like where you can enter safe mode etc) didn't come up. There was nothing. After a few attempts at rebooting the Packcard Bell logo came up. I thought that was it... then it stuck and finally went all wierd before conking out. Again blank. And from then nothing. I checked all the connections and rebooted about 100 times. Nothing. I hope that whatever the problem (virsu? old age?) the hard drive isn't corrupted. I do have access to a file recovery program but I'm not sure how to work it in conjuction with a dock or if I'll even need it. I'll have to wait until the dock arrives in a few days.
Last edited by Markgway on 14 Apr 2010, 00:58, edited 2 times in total.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:I have an IDE version exactly like you've ordered, I use it for a DVD-ROM drive (my laptop's drive is DVD region locked, so I can only copy R2 discs with it) and it works a treat, plug in, drive appears. That's it. The cable you've bought is compatible with IDE or SATA drives and 2.5" or 3.5" drives, so everything covered. If it comes with a CD of software, don't use it. You'll just need to plug it in and installing the software will likely just make it worse (it will be for Windows 95/98 etc...).
Thanks for the advice. If I have any problems I'll post them here. Would appreciate your feedback. My new PC (an HP) runs Windows 7.
If your files are stored in a profile folder, then you "may" not have permission to gain access to these files. It's easy enough to reverse, if you need to. I mean here (Windows 2000/XP path): C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\My Documents
Most of the files should be there... a few are on the desktop for quick access. I didn't set any passwords or restrictions on my profile so I would think any user could access them.
Do you still have the original Windows disc? If so (and after you're sure you've got it all off), there's no harm sticking it into your old PC, formatting the PC and reinstalling Windows. It's a simple, follow the Next button wizard, for the most part. You may very well have a working PC again you can give away/sell.
I didn't get a disc with my old PC. I burnt a system backup (as advised) but all that would've done is restore to factory state (AFAIK). The computer is so dead I don't even think I could reformat. I put a disc in nothing happens. It's headed for the skip (minus hard drive). What would be the best way to destroy that so no one can steal your shit?
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Sounds like your PSU may have conked, your Hard Drive may be unaffected and if so you won't have to worry about using a File Recovery Utility as you should be able to access the files directly once you connect the dock. I don't think buying the dock was a mistake per say as it may come in handy at a future date, plus if your old HD is ok then with the dock you can use it as an external HD.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Thanks for the advice. If I have any problems I'll post them here. Would appreciate your feedback. My new PC (an HP) runs Windows 7.
Unscrew it from your old pc, plug it into the new PC, waited a few seconds and it will appear as a drive letter. Simple.
Markgway wrote:Most of the files should be there... a few are on the desktop for quick access. I didn't set any passwords or restrictions on my profile so I would think any user could access them.
The Desktop is also in the profile folder, so the same rule applies (...\USER NAME\Desktop). Passwords are only one level of security. The profile folder is considered "a special" folder so tends to have extra permissions assigned to it. If it didn't, there'd be nothing stopping another user account on the same PC, without Administration rights just going into My Computer and opening it. The concept of profiles is all based around multiple users with different access rights. Even though the vast majority home users only ever create a single account.

It's easy to force your way in though. In short, if you right click on the folder you cannot get into and click the Permissions tab (from Properties) you can take ownership of the folder and gain access. Hopefully you'll be able to just go straight to the folder though.
Markgway wrote:I didn't get a disc with my old PC. I burnt a system backup (as advised) but all that would've done is restore to factory state (AFAIK). The computer is so dead I don't even think I could reformat. I put a disc in nothing happens. It's headed for the skip (minus hard drive).
I hate how some companies don't give you a disc to restore. Yes it's likely it just reformats/reinstalls. It should ask "please press any key to boot from the disc" when you first turn the PC on. It may not be readable from within Windows but if you leave it in, the PC should boot from it.
Markgway wrote:What would be the best way to destroy that so no one can steal your shit?
There are several free "wipe zeros over data" software, that makes it nigh on impossible to bring back, except experts obviously but if you really want to be sure, a hammer is the only solution. Personally I'd reformat/reinstall Windows on it and turn it into a usable PC again. Once Windows is reinstalled few people would be interested in restoring your old data. It's by no means a quick job.
Shingster wrote:I don't think buying the dock was a mistake per say as it may come in handy at a future date, plus if your old HD is ok then with the dock you can use it as an external HD.
Exactly. They're most handy and you can turn your old drive into a backup drive, taking into account it has no external casing.

Some other things to note:

What do you think of Windows 7? I think it's fantastic, it's so much better than XP and Vista in almost every way (XP is nippier, which isn't surprising seeing as it does a lot less and is a decade old).

* Remember to run Windows Update, from Control Panel.
* I guess you're using AVG or Avast (Avast is my preference of the "free" Anti-Spyware/Anti-Virus software). If so, it already gives you Anti-Spyware, so open Windows Defender (again in Control Panel) and in Options is a setting to disable it. It means well but as most Anti-Virus software has Anti-Spyware too nowadays, you only end up having two anti-spyware packages installed. Which is overkill and you still need anti-virus anyway. I use Kaspersky Internet Security myself (about £18 a year) but as many people swear by free anti-malware software I've learnt not to open that kettle of fish.

Your PC probably comes with a trial version of something like Norton Internet Security, go into Control Panel and "Programs and Features" (Add/Remove programs on XP) and remove it. It's worthless.

* You can install the free Foxit PDF Reader instead of Adobe PDF Reader, which is very bloated for what is just a PDF Reader.
* Check out Windows Live Essentials, which you've probably already got installed.
* Lastly as far as Office suites go: Microsoft Office 2007 Home & Student Edition is only £60-70 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or there is also the excellent OpenOffice, which contains everything the Pro version of Microsoft Office has but is absolutely free.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Unscrew it from your old pc, plug it into the new PC, waited a few seconds and it will appear as a drive letter. Simple.
Plug it in? Where? How? lol

I just got my PC today. I don't want to fuck it up within 24 hrs!
The Desktop is also in the profile folder, so the same rule applies...
I guess I'll have to wait and see.
It's easy to force your way in though. In short, if you right click on the folder you cannot get into and click the Permissions tab (from Properties) you can take ownership of the folder and gain access. Hopefully you'll be able to just go straight to the folder though.
Nice to know there's an option.
I hate how some companies don't give you a disc to restore. Yes it's likely it just reformats/reinstalls. It should ask "please press any key to boot from the disc" when you first turn the PC on. It may not be readable from within Windows but if you leave it in, the PC should boot from it.
I'll give it a go when I'm done... but I'm really not sure it'll run.
but if you really want to be sure, a hammer is the only solution.
Hammertime! :cool:
What do you think of Windows 7? I think it's fantastic, it's so much better than XP and Vista in almost every way (XP is nippier, which isn't surprising seeing as it does a lot less and is a decade old).
No real issues so far. Still getting used to the layout. I had my XP system for five years so it'll take me a little time to get comfortable. Even the keyboard feels a little weird.
Remember to run Windows Update, from Control Panel.
I used to get prompts when updates were available. That not happen anymore?
I guess you're using AVG or Avast (Avast is my preference of the "free" Anti-Spyware/Anti-Virus software).
I had Avira on my old PC.
Your PC probably comes with a trial version of something like Norton Internet Security, go into Control Panel and "Programs and Features" (Add/Remove programs on XP) and remove it. It's worthless.
Yeah, it's Norton running now. 60 day trial. It's seems to be working though. When downloading a few programs it blocked several Trojans.
You can install the free Foxit PDF Reader instead of Adobe PDF Reader, which is very bloated for what is just a PDF Reader.
Noted. I hadn't gotten round to downloading Acrobat yet.
Check out Windows Live Essentials, which you've probably already got installed.
It is. What do you use it for?
Lastly as far as Office suites go: Microsoft Office 2007 Home & Student Edition is only £60-70 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or there is also the excellent OpenOffice, which contains everything the Pro version of Microsoft Office has but is absolutely free.
Word (and maybe Excel) are the only ones I'd use. It's a disgrace that Microsoft don't include that as basic. Does the Word package in Open Office run .doc files?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Plug it in? Where? How? lol
The USB port silly :D
Markgway wrote:Nice to know there's an option.
Post here before you go messing in the Permissions tab. It's complicated if you've not used it before.
Markgway wrote:No real issues so far. Still getting used to the layout. I had my XP system for five years so it'll take me a little time to get comfortable. Even the keyboard feels a little weird.
Some useful Windows 7 tips:

* The task bar is now a combined task bar and quick launch. Drag any shortcut to it you use often and you'll be able to dock them for quick access. It's very handy indeed.
* That tiny rectangle (far bottom right corner) is called Aero Snap and if pressed shows the desktop but if you hover your mouse of it, it cleverly shows the desktop too. It's easier to see than explain.
* Drag two windows far left/right (you need to drag the cursor to the far side for it to work) and it will split them side by side. Great for comparing things.
* Right click on any shortcut on the task bar and you get quick launch menu called "Jump List". This doesn't work with all apps though.
* Security Center is now called Action Center. It's worth having a look in here as it tells you about any problems. Such a no backup, no security software. It's in Control Panel or one of the white icons next to the clock.
Markgway wrote:I used to get prompts when updates were available. That not happen anymore?
Of course but as you've got a new PC there are bound to be loads, so best have a manual check.
Markgway wrote:I had Avira on my old PC.
If you're happy with it, there's no reason to change. Anti-Malware software is very much a personal choice. Whatever you go with, it's crucial you install the latest version. Anti-Malware/Firewall software needs to be written specifically to work with Windows Vista/Windows 7. An old version is likely to just cause you problems.
Markgway wrote:Yeah, it's Norton running now. 60 day trial. It's seems to be working though. When downloading a few programs it blocked several Trojans.
It's very good at blocking/killing bad stuff BUT it's very bloated and uses too much memory. You'll get away with that for now as it's a brand new PC but I'd remove it and install permanent Anti-Malware software + Enable the Windows Firewall if you're not using software that has it's own one (such as Norton Internet Security). This is in Control Panel and an easy On/Off option. Most security software tends to re-enable it once uninstalled but best checked.

Norton (and MaCaffee) software is like AOL. Only numpties use it :D. Anyone technically minded doesn't.
Markgway wrote:Noted. I hadn't gotten round to downloading Acrobat yet.
You may find Adobe PDF Reader is already installed, personally I'd uninstall the bloated crap and put Foxit on. It's 3-2Mb vs. about 30-40Mb. For a freaking PDF Reader! FYI Adobe dropped the Acrobat name several years ago from the Reader and just use that for the Writer now.
Markgway wrote:It is. What do you use it for?
I didn't say because A: You've probably got it listed in Start Menu --> Programs --> Windows Live and it will be self-explanatory or type Windows Live Essentials into Google and the same applies. Basically it's a suite of free Microsoft software, instead of the XP/Vista approach where they bloat out Windows, you install it later if you need it:

* Windows Live Mail - Desktop Mail App, it looks a bit like Outlook Express but is much better. If you prefer going to Webmail (i.e - hotmail.com) you won't need this.
* Windows Live Photo Gallery - An excellent Photo Library/viewing software. Windows 7 includes a basic photo viewing software obviously.
* Windows Live Messenger - MSN Messenger
* Windows Live Movie Maker - Take a wild guess :D. I've never installed it. I imagine there are better paid for alternatives.
* Windows Live Writer - For writing blogs. I've never installed it.
* Windows Live Family Safety - Additional Parental Controls to what is in Vista/Windows 7 already. I've never installed it.

I tend to install the components I want. I use Photo Gallery and Messenger at home + Mail at work (to check my personal e-mail). Like I said, you've probably already got it installed. Most vendors tend to pre-install it.
Markgway wrote:Word (and maybe Excel) are the only ones I'd use. It's a disgrace that Microsoft don't include that as basic. Does the Word package in Open Office run .doc files?
They're professional packages. It would be like Adobe giving Photoshop away for free. Given the power the "Home and Student Edition" is good value and way cheaper than the Business Editions. Besides Windows 95 and onwards has always had the ability to open Microsoft Word documents using Wordpad, which obviously is only any good for opening documents.

Ironically from Microsoft Office 2010 (due in June-July) Microsoft will be killing off the awfiul Microsoft Works and offering a free advert based Microsoft Office Start edition but this can only be got hold of pre-installed on PCs. I've no idea how intrusive the adverts will be.

If you have an old copy of MS Office, you can install that on Windows 7. Office 2002 (aka Office XP), 2003 and 2007 all work on Vista/Windows 7 (except the e-mail Outlook program, which you need Outlook 2003 and 2007).

Yes Open Office can open .doc documents, it can open all Microsoft Office files (except the Access database maybe). The spreadsheet app opens the Excel 97-2003 formatted files (.xls) and 2007 formatted files (.xlsx), the slide show app opens the PowerPoint 97-2003 formatted files (.xls) and 2007 formatted files (.xlsx) and the word processor opens the Word 97-2003 formatted files (.doc) and 2007 formatted files (.docx).

If you don't have an old version of MS Office (which you could argue is old and Open Office is up-to-date obviously too) or don't want to pay. Open Office is excellent and always gets top marks in reviews. It's critically acclaimed.

I require Microsoft Outlook so need Microsoft Office. There is literally no equivalent out there to Microsoft Outlook (it does much more than just e-mail).

I hope I've not blinded you with science, just ask obviously.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:
Markgway wrote:Plug it in? Where? How? lol
The USB port silly :D
Do hard drives have USB ports? I haven't taken mine out yet. What do you use to connect the two and how does it differ from a docking device?
Of course but as you've got a new PC there are bound to be loads, so best have a manual check.
It's OK. A bunch of updates came up when I shut the PC down. Is it right that you're best to otherwise not shut down but sleep?
If you're happy with it, there's no reason to change. Anti-Malware software is very much a personal choice. Whatever you go with, it's crucial you install the latest version. Anti-Malware/Firewall software needs to be written specifically to work with Windows Vista/Windows 7. An old version is likely to just cause you problems.
Noted.
Norton (and MaCaffee) software is like AOL. Only numpties use it :D. Anyone technically minded doesn't.
Lol... you know me then.

I was told that using free AV software invalidates your warranty. True or bullshit to sell Norton?

I have 59 days to come up with an alt.
FYI Adobe dropped the Acrobat name several years ago from the Reader and just use that for the Writer now.
See how up to date I am. My last version was still called Acrobat.
I didn't say because A: You've probably got it listed in Start Menu --> Programs --> Windows Live and it will be self-explanatory or type Windows Live Essentials into Google and the same applies. Basically it's a suite of free Microsoft software, instead of the XP/Vista approach where they bloat out Windows, you install it later if you need it:
I found it. Can't see me using any of them though.
They're professional packages. It would be like Adobe giving Photoshop away for free.
But these are Microsoft operating systems. Word should be included as standard. You pay hundreds of £££ for a PC that's the least you should get. I remember my first PC (many moons ago) included both Word and Excel. What's changed - except corporate greed?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Do hard drives have USB ports? I haven't taken mine out yet. What do you use to connect the two and how does it differ from a docking device?
No USB port, that's an external PC connector. That's why you need the dock. I meant plug the hard disk into the dock and dock into PC. You cannot go wrong, just make sure the hard disk has it's own power source too.
Markgway wrote:It's OK. A bunch of updates came up when I shut the PC down. Is it right that you're best to otherwise not shut down but sleep?
It's up to you but best order is:

1. Hibernate - Shut down fully but it boots up quicker as it doesn't have to load everything from scratch, it's basically read from a cache file back into memory. It also allows you to leave apps open and it will resume where you left off. I always use this.
2. Shut down - Fully off, there's no real benefit to use this over hibernation. It just takes longer to load. Obviously hibernation doesn't ever actually reboot the PC, so you'll probably need to reset/shut down from time to time.
3. Sleep - This puts Windows into a low power state, so it can awake immediately but crucially the PC is still one, so you're just wasting electricity. Besides hibernation doesn't take much longer anyway.

On Windows 7 this is found by right clicking on the Task Bar and choosing Properties. It's elsewhere in XP and different again in Vista.
Markgway wrote:I was told that using free AV software invalidates your warranty. True or bullshit to sell Norton?
Who told you that? Utter bullshit. Ignore that twaddle!
Markgway wrote:See how up to date I am. My last version was still called Acrobat.
:D. There's no real reason to upgrade. It's just a PDF Reader.
Markgway wrote:I found it. Can't see me using any of them though.
Not the Photo Gallery? I find it really useful but if you don't have many pictures, it doesn't have much use.

If you never use them, you're better off uninstalling it. Which reminds me, I always go into Add/Remove or "Programs and Features" (in Control Panel) and uninstall anything I know I'll never use. It just bloats out the system and everything can be downloaed/reinstalled off the web anyway. Obviously, if you're unsure leave it there. Uninstall the wrong driver and you might stop something important working.
Markgway wrote:I remember my first PC (many moons ago) included both Word and Excel. What's changed - except corporate greed?
Nothing. You'd have paid for it indirectly or it would've been bootleg (either way someone would've installed it separately). Word, Excel, PowerPoint have never come part of Windows and never will. MS Office is Microsoft's second biggest cash cow.

You also have to consider, a word processor is a powerful thing and would only mean a very cut down version. When Open Office is available, who'd actually use it? You can word process in WordPad, if really want free and included, although it's terrible.

They could maybe give away a free word processor but I wouldn't want it pre-installed, just like Windows 7's approach to no e-mail package being included. All these additional apps should be extra, keen Windows lean. I'd prefer MS Paint and Wordpad be extra downloads but as they're tiny, it's okay.

Just for comparisons sake, Apple charge way more for their PCs and don't give you a free word processor either. Ubuntu (the most popular Linux variant) does but only because they opt to install Open Office for you, so not really any different to installing it yourself.

p.s - Don't forget to install Google Chrome 4.1 (or Firefox 3.6) too :cool:.

Your IE Favourites on your old hard disk are in: C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Favorites. On Vista/Windows 7, these can be copied into: C:\Users\USER NAME\Favorites. Basically "Documents and Settings" has become "Users". From there, you can then import in to Chrome/Firefox. Although both of course auto-import, when installing them.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Great news! The dock arrived this morning and the damn thing worked. I managed to transfer ALL my files onto my new PC. My work is saved. Looks like the Hard Drive was intact. Hooray! :clap:

My Windows doesn't have a hibernate option. Only sleep or shut down. Curious. I'll shut it down every so often to reboot the system - that's if Windows updates don't do it automatically.

I find that with my new PC IE7 runs very fast. I think therefore I'm gonna leave it for now. Chrome was fine but I'm not desperate to change (and besides I didn't feel it was always faster on my old PC).

Thanks big time for your help Brad and Shingster. :notworthy:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

My Norton trial only had 3 days to go so I deleted the software and installed Avast 5.0 Free and switched on the Windows Firewall.

That about right?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

If you mean "deleted" through "Programs and Features" in Control Panel? Then Yes, you're spot on. You're Protected!
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I'd go with Comodo Firewall over the Windows firewall any day.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:If you mean "deleted" through "Programs and Features" in Control Panel? Then Yes, you're spot on. You're Protected!
Yes. As soon as I deleted Norton the Windows Firewall activated itself (green ticks). Thanks.