Does anyone know how to play a DVD and load fansubs?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Does anyone know how to play a DVD and load fansubs?

Post by Shingster »

OK I'm pretty much hitting a brick wall on how to watch Love Exposure with fansubs as the two lauded media players simply will not allow me to use subtitle files: VLC is useless, MediaPLayerClassic and all its variations is particularly useless. Years ago I used to use a DVD software player that did this for me no problems at all (was it called DVDsub?), it seems today's programs insist on making the process as complicated as can be. Does anyone know of any guides or alternative media players i can call upon to get this thing working, or will I have to bin my discs?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Does anyone know how to play a DVD and load fansubs?

Post by gasteropod »

When I was having trouble playing a certain type of subtitles, I downloaded CCCP codec pack and it sorted me out: http://www.cccp-project.net/
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

"Direct VOBSub Filter" works with Xvid files. It may work with DVDs too.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I tend to avoid CCCP as it's mostly bloatware so not really ready to go down that route yet gastero thanks. Tried VobSub and no joy.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

CCCP is the same idea as K-Lite and agreed it's mostly bloatware. Three-quarters of the codecs in it you'll never ever need. I just install FFDShow, VobSub, Lame MP3 (also so I can encode) and Xvid (also so I can encode).

K-Lite's RealPlayer Alternative and QuickTime Alternative is useful though. The latter FFDShow can mostly handle on it's own though and I've not seen a new RealPlayer file for years. It always was a hideous codec.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

What's wrong with MPC HC?

I still have 1000 lines to go as far as Love Expo subs go. The fansubs seem to be made for some bootleg, as they are several seconds out of sync, and not even consistently so, when using them with the R2J. Also missing some bits, but I think I managed to translate those, more or less.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Nothing but it doesn't natively add external subs for DVDs.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

HungFist wrote:What's wrong with MPC HC?
Basically whenever I try to load a subtitle file I get this annoying pop up:

To open subtitles you have to change the video renderer type and reopen the file.
- DirectShow: VMR7/VMR9 renderless or Haali's
- RealMedia: Special renderer for RealMedia, or open it through DirectShow
- Quicktime: DX7 or DX9 renderer for QuickTime
- ShockWave: n/a

I do exactly as the pop up says and I still get the feckin' pop up! :banghead: :banghead:
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:Nothing but it doesn't natively add external subs for DVDs.
What do you mean "natively"? In the File menu there's "Load subtitle"
Shingster wrote:
HungFist wrote:What's wrong with MPC HC?
Basically whenever I try to load a subtitle file I get this annoying pop up:

To open subtitles you have to change the video renderer type and reopen the file.
- DirectShow: VMR7/VMR9 renderless or Haali's
- RealMedia: Special renderer for RealMedia, or open it through DirectShow
- Quicktime: DX7 or DX9 renderer for QuickTime
- ShockWave: n/a

I do exactly as the pop up says and I still get the feckin' pop up! :banghead: :banghead:
Strange. I never got any pop up.

Are you using srt file?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Natively. In the box, without installing external codecs.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:Natively. In the box, without installing external codecs.
I never installed any codecs for this purpose. But maybe I already had them...
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

HungFist wrote:I still have 1000 lines to go as far as Love Expo subs go. The fansubs seem to be made for some bootleg, as they are several seconds out of sync, and not even consistently so, when using them with the R2J. Also missing some bits, but I think I managed to translate those, more or less.
ok, MPC HC was fooling me. Stupid me. The subs are made for the same dvd, just for re-authored version. At least dvd-lab drops a few second black screen from the beginning that MPC includes in the running time... therefore the few second off sync when using MPC.

And there's now a newly synced fansub version with missing translations added. So, I think I will gratefully use that one and not finish my own project.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Yeah I think I have the new one Hung, and yup they're srt files.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Feels like the world is trying to crush me. Everything with Love Expo subbing goes as wrong as it possibly can.

1. I already mentioned MPC HC somehow modifies the running time as compared to dvd re-authoring programs, causing sync problem with your scrip. Not difficult to fix though.

2. I worked my way through nearly 2000 lines before I discovered someone else had been doing the same work at the same time. D'oh.

3. There's a weird fucking problem with disc 2. Re-authoring programs all fuck up the audio (eventually goes out of sync as if the audio was playing at wrong speed. I have never encountered something like this before).

4. I was gonna re-author the new files so I can show the film to my friends in any place where we've got a TV and dvd player. But now, thanks to the audio issue, I'm stuck with laptop --> HDMI method. But now we need a TV with HDMI, which means my own TV in Finland it no use. And it's not so easy to arrange a film evening when you've got a 237 minute movie. Oh, and of course the new subtitle file is not instantly compatible with MPC HC (ok, not difficult to fix, but still).

Shing, you need to see this film. So, I recommend you either try to fix the MPC sub issue, or you find another player that supports custom scripts and then go the HDMI route. I will then provide you with a script that works with it.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Thanks Hung, and yeah It'll get watched eventually as it's out in the UK in a couple of weeks anyway. DVDTimes have been offered review copies but I can't bring myself to review a 4hr film, so I'll probably just rent it. If I sort out this subtitle problem and reauthor some DVD-R copies successfully with no glitches then I'd be happy to send you copies.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Shingster wrote:If I sort out this subtitle problem and reauthor some DVD-R copies successfully with no glitches then I'd be happy to send you copies.
Thanks, but no need. Next year this time I should have HDMI compatible screen in Finland as well (got one in JP, although not a very large one), and will go the HTPC route and stop authoring new discs. And besides, my plan is to stop needing subs for JP films at some point :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

No help this post. But 9/10 I never have a problem loading subs to Media Player Classic. I think the codecs I have are the same as the ones mentioned. I'm not really up on them.

Is there anyway to open up your sub file and resave in a different format? I'm sure recently I had to do something like that. Although I didn't get any popups. Just no subs.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

HungFist wrote:Thanks, but no need. Next year this time I should have HDMI compatible screen in Finland as well (got one in JP, although not a very large one), and will go the HTPC route and stop authoring new discs.
Hehe, I'm there now and look at the headache it's giving me! :D
Markgway wrote:Is there anyway to open up your sub file and resave in a different format? I'm sure recently I had to do something like that. Although I didn't get any popups. Just no subs.
I've tried different formats but no joy, the srt is fine, nowt wrong with it. I'm certain there is something missing on my PC that is stopping me from rendering subtitles from a dedicated subtitle file, but I've got no idea what that "thing" actually is!
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

We just had Love Exposure screening at my friends place (MPC HC - HDMI - TV) and it was a total success; the subs worked fine, and the film was loved by everyone, even the one female audience member. Yokatta, as I had my doubts when my friend said he'd be bringing his girlfriend with him. I mean, the film does feature Yoshihiro Nishimura's special effects work (only in a few scenes, though), plus "the highest number of up-skirt panty shots in history", among other things.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Nice one, I don't have many friends living near me who would happily sit through a 4hr Asian film! :D
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

It was a good audience; one actor, one Sonny Chiba fanatic, one me, and one guy who came to the door in his underwear and then went back into the dark room to play some PS3 game. It was only when we left and turned the lights on when I notived the Aki Hoshino calendar on his wall...

Yes, there were a few other people too, but they were relatively normal :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

"Aki Hoshino" Woh! Phwoar! A Japanese bird with big tits. Nice! Any topless work?

A guy in just pants :D.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:"Aki Hoshino" Woh! Phwoar! A Japanese bird with big tits. Nice! Any topless work?
No, she's a gravure idol.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That would never work here. Here it seems you're either a glamour model or a proper model, for want of a better word. Although we do have swimsuit modelling I guess. More so in the States though.