Yakuza 3 - Kazuma Kiryu is still Like a Dragon

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Yakuza 3 - Kazuma Kiryu is still Like a Dragon

Post by EvaUnit02 »

FUCK YES! YAKUZA 3 IN ENGLISH. SUBBED, NOT DUBBED TOO. BRING ON RYU GA GOTOKU 3 (Like a Dragon 3)!

Announcement trailer
LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (9th December, 2009) – SEGA Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced that the Japanese smash hit Ryu ga Gotoku™ 3 will be officially localised for the west under the title Yakuza™ 3. Selling over half-a-million copies in Japan, the game has established an ardent fan base in its native land whilst achieving cult status with videogame connoisseurs in the west. SEGA’s decision to bring the game to its western territories was heavily influenced by the recognition of Yakuza’s enthusiastic fan base throughout Europe, Australia and the U.S. Yakuza 3 will be available exclusively on the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system in March 2010.

The Yakuza series is the brainchild of Toshihiro Nagoshi, one of SEGA’s most prolific and successful internal developers. Along with the Yakuza saga, Nagoshi is the father of the beloved Super Monkey Ball series and has worked on other popular SEGA games such as Daytona USA, F-Zero GX and Spikeout. In his current role as Head of Research and Development, Nagoshi oversees SEGA’s internal development teams and imbues his creative flair across their portfolio of titles.

“Yakuza 3 was one of the most requested titles for localisation by our European SEGA community, so we are delighted to be able to fulfil their wishes with this announcement.” said Gary Knight, European Marketing Director, SEGA Europe Ltd. “As well as delving even further into the rich narrative of the Yakuza universe, the development team have pushed the PlayStation 3 hardware to the limits to produce a beautiful and startlingly realistic depiction of the Japanese underworld.”
Yakuza 3 will feature full English subtitling, whilst retaining the outstanding voice acting from the original Japanese version of the game to create an authentic and immersive experience. The transition to the PlayStation 3 has allowed SEGA of Japan’s CS1 team to add an unprecedented level of environmental detail and realism to the game – a hallmark of the series that fans have come to expect. In this action-adventure sequel, players will take on the role of Kiryu Kazuma to explore rich and realistic environments, take part in a multitude of unique mini-games and experience the deepest combat experience yet. In addition to the familiar Tokyo haunts from the first two games, fans will also discover a completely new setting in the tropical island of Okinawa where, accompanied by his adoptive daughter Haruka, Kazuma is running an orphanage. However, he is allowed no respite in this idyllic retreat and before long he is once again forced to deal with his sordid past.

For more information on Yakuza 3 please visit http://www.sega.com/yakuza3/
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Yakuza 3 - Kazuma Kiryu is still Like a Dragon

Post by thelostdragon »

Awesome. Thanks European fan base! :D
I was so frustrated when they said it was going to be released in Japan only. I hope "Yakuza 4" will get released over here as well then.
By the way, do I need to play part 1 and 2 in order to understand the third part? I mean is it a complete story like "Shenmue" was supposed to be?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I don't know, I haven't really bothered to research the game since it looked likely to stay Japan exclusive for awhile. Yakuza 1 & 2 were pretty self contained, but you're robbing yourself of wonder experiences by not playing them. Both games should be very cheap now or do you not have a PS2 or something?

BTW, do you import all your games from Austria or the UK? Considering how strict game censorship is over there.

Top German game developer Crytek are considering leaving the country altogether, because there were talks of having game development outlawed there. It would be a real shame if it was, Germany has some really good developers like the aforementioned Crytek and Piranha Bytes (makers of the RPGs, Gothic and Risen).
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Well, Sega once again shows they know shit all about marketing or their target-audience:
http://www.ps3center.net/news/4221/yaku ... -afterall/

In short, they ARE dubbing the game, wasting an extra 700.000 bucks or something on it (which brings extra 'pressure' to the game to sell well...), and probably it means for us to wait a little bit longer for it's release. :(

What a bag of douches over at Sega. Ever since the X32 they've just been making marketing-mistake after mistake.
How can a company that is potentially so good at making games, be so extremely idiotic when it comes to selling them in the right way to the right audience!?

Anyway, let's just HOPE they will still keep in the original voices with english subs, as an option.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Trust me, they know what they do. They are aiming to sell the game to an audience as wide as possible. The average dumb-ass gamer is the same person that doesn't watch a film that is not in his native language which means that he'd have to make an effort and actually read subtitles. He'd rather not watch the film at all.

Unfortunately, those people are the majority in the video gaming audience as well. So business-wise it is not a wrong move on Sega's behalf. It would be a wrong move not to include the Japanese voice with subs, though, for people like us.

A big mistake on Sega's behalf is that they aren't continuing the "Shenmue"-saga. There are many ways to let new "Shenmue"-gamers know what happened in the first two games. It's on every single TV show: "Previously on LOST/24/Nip Tuck" etc.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

There's still hope, the recent PS3 exclusive RPG from Sega called Valkyria Chronicles was dual language. Thanks to the space provided by the BD format, I guess.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I still have to check out Valkyria Chronicles, but I'm waiting for a cheaper release that already has the DLC included.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Latest news is that there has been stuff cut from the western version of the game, like the hostess club and some japan mini-quiz.

Not sure about the voices, and if we still get the choice between japanese and english.
oldeschool17
Pedicab Driver

Post by oldeschool17 »

Based on the demo I thought I was playing a game from 1996 when you had to mash a button to continue speaking with characters that had no sound coming from their moving mouths! That cheapens this game coupled with the gimped american release.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I think they just released part 4... saw it in a video rental store.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/14063-yak ... ring-2011/

Yakuza 4 is heading to the West. Uncut this time please, let me manage a hostess bar like how I did in Yakuza 2.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »