Adobe CS 4 fails to install...

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Adobe CS 4 fails to install...

Post by Yi-Long »

Adobe is pissing me off. Have been trying to install CS4 a whole bunch of times now, but it just keeps failing to install halfway through the installation.

Has anyone else had this problem? When I google it a bit, it seems I'm not the only one, but the solutions mentioned (format, re-install Vista, clean-up script) don't seem to work for me.

Why can't it ever be simple to just install and run a program!? :( :rage: :rage: :rage:
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Adobe CS 4 fails to install...

Post by bradavon »

The error message or more details would help? ;).
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Read the description and comments sections of CS4 torrent listings on www.piratebay.org. They often have idiot proof instructions on there.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

The problem isn't with the 'illegal' version or anything. The legal users have the exact same problem. It's about the instal-program finding something on the HDD, like an old file or something from an earlier installation or from CS3 or something, which stops CS4 from installing.

I've installed my version on my old PC, and I know how to do that. This problem affects certain PC's and users, and I have to use some clean-up tools etc etc to maybe be able to correct it, like the CS3/CS4 clean-up scripts from Adobe, and some Windows clean-up tool.

I'll probably try again this afternoon and let you guys know.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Finally seems to have worked. Goddamn it took a LONG time.

Tried the whole CS4 suite this afternoon, but failed again. Then I downloaded CCleaner and cleaned the whole PC. Also changed some setting in the msconfig with something user thingy, disabled that, and then installed Photoshop on it's own (which also didn't work before.

Anyway, it started up, didn't ask for any registration or serial, so fingers crossed that it keeps working.

It's also the english version (I was affraid it was a dutch version, because the read-me was dutch...)

Will try to see if InDesign and Illustrator will also install this week, but first I'll be installing my tablet and hopefully finally get some work done this week.

All this computer bullshit wasted me almost a year or something (PC kept breaking down, got it replaced, new one didn't install CS4) -sigh-

Ah well... at least I'm almost level 50 at Battlefield 1943.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Why do you prefer English to Dutch versions?
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Shouldn't he?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Am I supposed to care enough to bother replying to that?
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

It's up to you.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:Why do you prefer English to Dutch versions?
Multiple reasons, one of them that I find english a much easier and simpler and more relaxing language to read.
Another reason is that whenever I want to look for help online, or want to follow a tutorial or something, chances are that the info will be written in english, with the english terms. When you have a Dutch version, you'll waste time looking for what's what. Obviously,most of the time you can work it out, but occasionally you're just not sure, and it's irritating.

The dutch language is annoying though. Maybe LD and Tom feel the same way, as their languages also have a lot of illogical bullshit in it. English, to me, is one of the most logical languages I've come across.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

To me it doesn't matter in which language I get to read stuff. As long as it is either German, Arabic or English as I am fluent in these languages. Not so fluent in French, but I understand things when I read them in French. However, as far as computer programs are concerned, it is more helpful to use the English versions for the reason that you pointed out, Yi. Online help and tutorials are more likely to be available in English.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I'm 'fluent' in Dutch as well, but when reading, I just find English simpler and easier. There's much less 'crap' going on. It just reads 'quicker', if that makes any sense.

The problem lately though, is that with so much time spent on the internet, you come across so many instances of people spelling words incorrectly, and after a while all those different kinds of spelling just 'blend' in with eachother, so you have to look up what was actually the 'right' spelling.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Yi-Long wrote:The problem lately though, is that with so much time spent on the internet, you come across so many instances of people spelling words incorrectly, and after a while all those different kinds of spelling just 'blend' in with eachother, so you have to look up what was actually the 'right' spelling.
Try books again. I think it was you who has been reading a lot of English books, wasn't it?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

thelostdragon wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:The problem lately though, is that with so much time spent on the internet, you come across so many instances of people spelling words incorrectly, and after a while all those different kinds of spelling just 'blend' in with eachother, so you have to look up what was actually the 'right' spelling.
Try books again. I think it was you who has been reading a lot of English books, wasn't it?

Wasn't me. Just comicbook collections, magazines and manga (although they raised the price on manga, so I stopped for the time being)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Interesting Yi. English can be really illogical at times, especially when it has so many words from other languages in it.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I don't know why I find english so 'simple' and 'logical', but it has always been that way. It just makes ALOT more sense grammatically than German/French (which I both completely sucked at), and Dutch (which obviously I know, but is still unnecessarily complicated in places).

Ofcourse English also has it's 'stinkers', which will throw you off-guard at times, and there are the slight differences between American english and UK english, but overall I find it very 'logical'. There are not a lot of 'rules' to remember.

Ever since I was a kid it just always made sense to me. In school there was one teacher who was convinced I was cheating cause I usually already finished the test (perfect score) pretty much by the time he had finished handing out the assignments on the other side of the classroom. I scored straight A's for comprehensive reading assignments (In Dutch as well btw...). I don't think I ever scored below a B in English.
I even corrected some of the english teachers I had. :D

In Dutch, I did score lower. Comprehensive reading and that kinda stuff has always been pretty simple, but the grammar rules are full of exceptions and other bullshit, and I never could be bothered to learn all the rules and terms etc, and tbh I never really cared about those mistakes. I always think it's about getting the message across, and if something is spelled incorrectly or there's a tiny error, I couldn't care less. :)
That doesn't mean I write like a dyslectic monkey, but it just means I don't really care when a mistake does creep in. :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I hate the masculine/feminine stuff in French at school and to think many Euro languages have it too.

I take your point but many people take it to the extreme, being so lazy, it's barely English any more.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Fucking Adobe. :angry:

It asks for registration again. Will probably ask again in a few days.
Ah well, at least last time it all installed properly, so it might work properly if I have to install it AGAIN. Kinda annoying, having to go through so much trouble just to use a program which I have no intention of using commercially.
oldeschool17
Pedicab Driver

Post by oldeschool17 »

Just wait for CS5. Anybody excited for Content Aware!?!?!
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

oldeschool17 wrote:Just wait for CS5. Anybody excited for Content Aware!?!?!
WTH is content-aware?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Do you actually need Adobe Photoshop CS? I think we've been here before but there are plenty of other excellent photo tools:

1. Corel Photo-Paint X5
2. Corel Paint Shop Photo Pro X3
3. Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 - I've never had a problem cracking this. I use this at home.
4. Paint.Net 3.5.4 - Free and excellent. I use this at work.
5. GIMP 2.6 - Free

Fair enough if you do. It is the industry standard after all and costs so much money, I don't blame you for not considering buying it.

Photoshop Elements is meant for the amateur photographer market (cue it's much lower price) and I think Corel market Paint Shop Photo Pro the same, with Corel Photo-Paint being their competitor to Adobe Photoshop CS. Although as Corel just bought Paint Shop Pro off another company (who were marketing it as a competitor to Adobe Photoshop), it's hard to tell which is actually meant for the Pro. The price of Corel Paint Shop Photo Pro compares with Adobe Photoshop Elements and Corel Photo-Paint with Adobe Photoshop CS, so it makes sense.

I much prefer Photoshop Elements to both Corel products but haven't got into the Pro features, so cannot comment.
oldeschool17
Pedicab Driver

Post by oldeschool17 »

Yi-Long wrote:
WTH is content-aware?
It's like hot sex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH0aEp1oDOI
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

oldeschool17 wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:
WTH is content-aware?
It's like hot sex
Wow, pretty damn cool. Not sure if I'll need it that often (doubt it), but it's amazing that it's possible. :)

@Brad: I'd love it if there's a freeware piece of software that is as good as Adobe Photoshop, but I'm not convinced there is. So for now, I'm sticking with Photoshop. Sadly haven't used it much though. Last years problems with my PC pretty much meant that my creative intentions were kinda shot down and I haven't really picked it up again yet.

Would probably buy the program if I was using it commercially, but as a hobbyist, and using it as little as I am, obviously I'll just go for the illegal option.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Maybe not freeware but you could try other paid software and see if cracks work any better. In the free stuff, Paint.Net is excellent and a small download. You lose nothing by trying it.

I appreciate Photoshop CS is for Pros but I've always hated the steep learning curve. Photoshop Elements is powerful but so much easier to use, it's not meant for Pros though.
oldeschool17 wrote:It's like hot sex
OMG! I hope this comes to Elements too.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I never felt the learning curve in Photoshop was all that steep. In InDesign and Illustrator I had a bit more trouble getting to learn the programs...