HDTV: 720p or 1080i

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

HDTV: 720p or 1080i

Post by Markgway »

Got a new Virgin Media V+ box installed today.

Two questions:

1. Which is the best setting 720p or 1080i?
I would've assumed 1080i but the engineer set it to 720p.

2. How do you guys handle cable channels that broadcast in 4:3?
Everything shown is vertically squeezed thru HDMI with no option to change the TV format.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: HDTV: 720p or 1080i

Post by romerojpg »

Not to sound silly, but try each setting yourself and see which you prefer :D as it is down to your eyes, not someone who is not even looking at your set up, who thinks they know better than your eyes.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

There's no right answer. It depends on you and your equipment. 1080i will mean the player doesn't have to downgrade the 1080p signal but as that relates to BD/HD-DVD and HD Broadcasts use both 720p or 1080i (depending on the TV show/channel) there is no right answer even more so. I set my BD Player to 1080i as at least it's the right resolution and quite frankly I've tried both and cannot spot the difference anyway.

4:3 through HDMI when set to a 16:9 resolution relies on one of two things working:

1. Your TV aspect ratio button working - It's a common problem this gets disabled through HDMI, as HDMI will often only output in the aspect ratio you tell it to output in (so obviously 16:9 when outputting 720p-1080p).
2. The Player has an HDMI override feature - Many Pioneer/Sony HDD/DVD Recorders have just a feature.

Thankfully I can still use my aspect ratio button on my TV when using my BD Player but by far one of the biggest complaints with my LG BH200 BD/HD-DVD Combo Player is there is no override function.

If the Virgin Media+ box has no override function and the button on the TV remote doesn't work, you maybe out of options. Does the Virgin box have Component? This has no such restriction but will mean extra cables and annoyance when using 4:3 content. Component is the red-green-blue cables, you'll need extra cables for audio. Component is capable of outputting an HD signal but it's analogue (not that you should notice). This is how most people with the LG BH200 Player (and cannot use their TV remote) get around it.

Annoyingly most Sky+/Freeview+/Virgin+ etc... boxes only have HDMI as far as HD connections go.

p.s - Welcome to the amazing world of PVRs! You won't be able to go back to watching all TV Live and having no ability to Pause or Rewind Live TV. I couldn't do without it now (I have Freeview+).
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

romerojpg wrote:Not to sound silly, but try each setting yourself and see which you prefer :D as it is down to your eyes, not someone who is not even looking at your set up, who thinks they know better than your eyes.
I didn't see any noticeable difference during a customary check. But then it takes about 20 secs to switch using the menus so it's hard to compare directly.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:There's no right answer.
I figured as much.
I set my BD Player to 1080i as at least it's the right resolution and quite frankly I've tried both and cannot spot the difference anyway.
Mine is set to 1080/24p - the highest setting.
Your TV aspect ratio button working - It's a common problem this gets disabled through HDMI, as HDMI will often only output in the aspect ratio you tell it to output in (so obviously 16:9 when outputting 720p-1080p).
That's the case with our TV. 4:3 is disabled via HDMI. Our Toshiba DVD Upscaler has a button you need to use to select the format (576p for 4:3). Our Tevion outputs the correct ratio for BD automatically at all times. If it's supposed to be a 1.33 frame it is. I don't even know if there's a select option because it's never been needed.

I don't think the V+ box has such an easy option. You would, I think, have to change the box setup from HD to 4:3 letterbox. But that's a pain in the arse. If only all channels were forced to flag anamorphic signals like the mains do.
Does the Virgin box have Component? This has no such restriction but will mean extra cables and annoyance when using 4:3 content.
Sounds like more bother than it's worth. The installer brought an HDMI cable. There might be component options but I'd rather just stick with HDMI. No point having digital capability and going back to analogue.
Welcome to the amazing world of PVRs! You won't be able to go back to watching all TV Live and having no ability to Pause or Rewind Live TV. I couldn't do without it now (I have Freeview+).
Ha, yeah. Haven't tried that yet. Our Samsung DVD Recorder was pants and has now been disconnected. 80 hrs of space on the V+ (or 20 hrs of HD) is more than anyone should need.

Thanks for your advice. :thumbs:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Sounds like more bother than it's worth. The installer brought an HDMI cable. There might be component options but I'd rather just stick with HDMI. No point having digital capability and going back to analogue.
It will be much quicker to choose a different AV input on your TV then mess around in the Virgin box settings each time. I seriously doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between 1080i through HDMI or 1080i through analogue. It's likely a moot point as Component is virtually never seen on HD Broadcast boxes.

Actually what am I saying? We're talking about 4:3 SD content here not 4:3 HD (which is obviously pillar-boxed anyway). I'd stick the Scart in and use HDMI for everything except 4:3 SD. As this is an analogue signal the aspect ratio button on your TV will likely then work just fine. You're only going to use it for 4:3 SD content anyway. This is basically what I was saying about Component but it's much more likely to actually have Scart and Scart means just the one cable.

Sure it's annoying but it's much less hassle then messing with the Virgin box settings each time and it's only one cable. Most of the time you'll be using HDMI still. This is presuming you're not using the RGB Scart for something already of course. You may as well have a quick gander in the Virgin box settings, you never now. The wording should be obvious.

That's good your TV supports 1080p/24p. My TV is about 4.5 years old now, so well before all that stuff. I'm lucky it's even HD Ready. HDD Recorders (either HDD/DVD Combo Recorders or PVRs) are in another league of efficiency and ease of use over DVD Recorders. DVD Recorders are basically DVD quality VCRs.
Our Toshiba DVD Upscaler has a button you need to use to select the format (576p for 4:3).
That isn't exactly what I meant (the function in question forces the aspect ratio button to continue to work, as I understand it), as setting it to 576p you're outputting all content to SD resolutions (i.e - turning off the Player's upscaler). This obviously isn't a big deal, as like you say there's a dedicated button on the remote.
Our Tevion outputs the correct ratio for BD automatically at all times.
I'd guess it's just the Tevion doesn't force the aspect ratio over HDMI, so in theory you could choose the 16:9 mode using your TV remote.

Sadly the general problem is a common one. All the time over at the AVS Forum people bitch about the lack of an override function on my LG BH200 BD/HD-DVD Combo Player. I cannot see LG fixing it now, despite still still releasing new firmware (the latest to add BD Live).
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Good news. I had a wee fiddle with the settings menus and found one option that allowed me to select 1080i and retain the OAR (be it 4:3 or 16:9). Problem solved. :)

I guess the engineer put it on the wrong setting. icon_suspect
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

What's the setting called?

1080i is 16:9 not 4:3, obviously.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

1080i.

The engineer set it to 720p Widescreen
bradavon wrote:What's the setting called?

1080i is 16:9 not 4:3, obviously.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Presumably it's 720p or 1080i and then on top of that Widescreen or 4:3?

Because it sounds like you have a setting called 1090i and another called 720p Widescreen. That makes no sense. Where's 720p or 1080i Widescreen? It sounds like you've turned off the Widescreen flag and as 1080i is Widescreen anyway, it displays that way (if it's 16:9).
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

OK. There're four available settings.

720p
720p Wide
1080i
1080i Wide

When I changed it to 1080i it worked perfectly. The engineer had it set incorrectly to 720p Wide.

That make sense?
bradavon wrote:Presumably it's 720p or 1080i and then on top of that Widescreen or 4:3? Because it sounds like you have a setting called 1090i and another called 720p Widescreen. That makes no sense. Where's 720p or 1080i Widescreen? It sounds like you've turned off the Widescreen flag and as 1080i is Widescreen anyway, it displays that way (if it's 16:9).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yes it makes sense what the options are but it makes no sense, as 1080i and 720p are Widescreen by their very nature. I'm guessing Wide must force a 16:9 aspect ratio and the non-Wide settings don't. Weird!

Normally on HD kit you just have 480p/576p to 1080i/p and then 4:3 Full/Letterbox or 16:9. Not options within 1080i/720p. Double Weird!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Yes it makes sense what the options are but it makes no sense, as 1080i and 720p are Widescreen by their very nature. I'm guessing Wide must force a 16:9 aspect ratio and the non-Wide settings don't. Weird!
Yeah, that confused me at first too, hence my thread. But when I looked closer it all worked out. Maybe of use to anyone else thinking of getting a V+ box.