Google Chrome OS!

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Google Chrome OS!

Post by gasteropod »

Whoever thought the news Gmail leaves beta couldn't be topped today? Think again...

Google is making a PC operating system. Taking naming cues from the company's browser (pictured), it will be called the 'Chrome OS' and be based on an ultra lightweight, open source platform.

The initial target will be netbooks with a second half of 2010 launch timeframe. Google is then looking to scale up Chrome OS as a genuine challenger in the laptop and desktop markets. Vitally it will be separate from Android and is "being created for people who spend most of their time on the web". Whether the news will kill off the clamour for Android netbooks remains to be seen as does both platforms potential cross compatibility.

"Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS," said Google engineering director Sundar Pichai on the company's official blog. "We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds. The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way, and most of the user experience takes place on the web. And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work."

Interestingly Chrome OS will run on both x86 and ARM chips (hello Tegra!) which should make it instantly popular with the latter group that has long been ignored by Microsoft Windows.

"We hear a lot from our users and their message is clear - computers need to get better," continued Pichai. "People want to get to their email instantly, without wasting time waiting for their computers to boot and browsers to start up. They want their computers to always run as fast as when they first bought them. They want their data to be accessible to them wherever they are and not have to worry about losing their computer or forgetting to back up files. Even more importantly, they don't want to spend hours configuring their computers to work with every new piece of hardware, or have to worry about constant software updates. And any time our users have a better computing experience, Google benefits as well by having happier users who are more likely to spend time on the Internet."

I have long mooted the idea that with Google Apps, Maps, Docs, Reader, Picassa and more Google has been "maintain is going about building an OS piece by piece in public" [that quote is from 2005!] and I have no doubt these services along with Google Gears and HTML5 will be cornerstones of Chrome OS. It may even signal the arrival of the near-mythic GDrive. Like Android I expect it to emerge as the roughest of diamonds and with Windows 7 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard presenting fine, fully formed alternatives it will likely take a number of years for Chrome OS to shine.

That said, I suspect a diamond is indeed in there. Apple and Microsoft aren't likely to sleep well tonight...
http://www.trustedreviews.com/software/ ... -System/p1

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... me-os.html
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

This is certainly interesting but the idea you can have an OS that relies on the web so much is absurd.

This will work will for the netbook market, where cost is crucial and Ubunto Linux is probably too complicated still for most but the desktop market, where the cost of the OS is swallowed up in the PC price? Please.

Windows has hundreds of thousands of applications for it. Good luck Google! I expect lots of fanfare like Android but in reality (like Android) it will change very little.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Will Cloud computing fix everything?

That seems to be the opinion being hammered home by Google at present as it has now proclaimed both new kid on the block the App Store and old foe viruses will fall by the wayside when it takes off.

Speaking on the subject of App Stores to the FT, Google engineering VP Vic Gundotra (pictured) explained: "What we clearly see happening is a move to incredibly powerful browsers. Many, many applications can be delivered through the browser and what that does for our costs is stunning. We believe the Web has won and over the next several years, the browser, for economic reasons almost, will become the platform that matters and certainly that's where Google is investing."

He added that he believes Apple overlord Steve Jobs, whose company presides over by far the largest App store agrees with him, saying "Build for the web" was Jobs' message when the iPhone was launched. Gundotra adds that timing was not right then but "the rate of innovation [over the last year] in the browser is surprising. I think Steve really did understand that, over the long term, it would be the web and I think that's how things will play out."

Not content with shooting down App Stores, Google engineering director Linus Upson told new scientist that the Cloud will also effectively end viruses. "We are completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the [Google] OS so users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work." This concept is a well trodden one: that if you eliminate the need for downloadable updates the reaction time will cut drastically, as will the threat itself if the Cloud means little is actually stored directly on a user's SSD/HDD.

Yes, there is still some way to go before Cloud computing truly takes off - even after Chrome OS launches in 2010 - but resistance can be reduced if the revamped Google Docs and Web Office get things right, while the heavily reduced costs should sway many. Add to that platform neutral applications and a virus free environment and the tide may just turn, whatever Steve Ballmer says...
http://www.trustedreviews.com/software/ ... Viruses/p1
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Google Chrome OS!

Post by bradavon »

Ha ha Google are fools if they think Cloud computing will get rid of Malware. Will there still be unscrupulous people out there? Enough said.

I can see Google OS taking on Linux on Netbooks but otherwise not much will change. Google Docs isn't exactly what you call Rich compared with Office 2007 (which granted is bloated).