Pioneer ceasing TV production?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Pioneer ceasing TV production?

Post by gasteropod »

Not that I can afford one, but 'noooooooo!!!!!' all the same.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/news/ ... Reports/p1
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Wow... Pioneer was the 'benchmark' for plasmas.
They were way overpriced, so I can't be that upset about it (they priced themselfs out of the market), but still, it's a sign of the bad times.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Isn't it just Plasmas? not LCD or any other technology. It is odd though.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Isn't what just plasmas?

According to article they are pulling out of both technologies.

They were pretty much the benchmark for plasmas, and apparently their LCDs were pretty good too, although maybe not quite as reference quality.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

They're pulling out of just plasmas but I guess not.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

According to this Pioneer make "the best" TVs:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/install ... d+says+pro

Agree or disagree?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

From pretty much all the reviews I've read, Pioneer was pretty much the best choice as far as plasma went.

But like I said, they were always way too expensive, and I guess they priced themselfs out of the market. Panasonic and Samsung also make pretty damn good plasma's, and charge a whole lot less for it.

Within 1-2 months the new Panasonic plasma's should be out, and I guess that's the time I'll buy one.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I wonder how much better they are, compared with say Panasonic? I cannot believe they're "that" much better to warrant the extra cost.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

As always, for SOME people the tiny bit of extra quality DOES warrant the cost, but obviously, for most, it doesnt. For most it's already automatically outside their budget anyway...

When I was in Hong Kong, we visited a friend of my girlfriend's family (very rich guy), and he had the new Pioneer Plasma and was showing it. I played GTA4 on it, and it looked great, but he also showed a bootleg DVD of Rattetouille on it, and that also looked perfect. No artifacting or whatever.

I expect the new Panasonics to be even better than last years, which were already very very good according to many reviews. The only problem was the colors (I believe 'green' was an issue), only 2 HDMI-ports at the back, and the design of the TV.

The last few months I was kinda edging towards the Samsung 756 plasma, which looks stunning (design-wise) and also has gotten very good reviews.
A friend of mine bought the 656 plasma, and that already looked pretty good (and it was still playing in), and he upgraded it to the 756 (haven't seen that one yet).

I'm also kinda curious to what the newest Sony LCD's will do. LCD is improving alot each and every year, and perhaps the newest LCD's will rival plasma's quality.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I thought Plasmas was still the way to go. Two HMDIs for such an investment is weak. My Mum's 22" LCD TV has two.

My plan is to buy a new TV over the next couple of years, my TV is now 4 years old and while there's nothing wrong with it I'd like Full HD and a bit bigger. I'll probably wait to get my first place though, just to be sure I get the right size.

Besides they cost loads and I have better things to be spending my money on at the moment.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Yi-Long wrote:I expect the new Panasonics to be even better than last years, which were already very very good according to many reviews. The only problem was the colors (I believe 'green' was an issue), only 2 HDMI-ports at the back, and the design of the TV.
They are very, very good. :)

The "green" issue, as far as I'm aware, is inherant in plasma TV design, so affects all brands. The green phosphor takes a little longer than the red & blue phosphors to discharge.

Some people notice it more than others - it just about completely depends on your eyesight.

The 2008 series plasma screens had between 2 and 4 HDMI sockets, deppending on the model.

My TH-42PX80 has 3 HDMI sockets which I use for my BD player, XBox 360 and HTPC.

I don't really see the need for any more - some people would say what about if you get a PS3, but if I wanted a PS3 I wouldn't have a separate BD player in the first place.

Some Panasonics have a 4th HDMI under the front flap, which can be useful for HD camcorders.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Thanks Rusty :)

The PX80 isnt FullHD, is it!?

I was looking at the PZ80 or PZ85. but I do think I will need 3 HDMI-ports at the back.
1 for my 360, 1 for the PS3, and 1 for the HDTV set-box or whatever it's called. I wouldnt like cables sticking out in the front. :)

I really hope the new FullHD pana's will be better than last years, and hopefully also come in a little cheaper, HOPEFULLY under 1000 euro. :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'd potentially need four but very likely three:

HD Combo Player
HDD/DVD Recorder
Freesat HD or Freeview HD box - In the future, likely Freesat as it will have BBC iPlayer
Laptop - Then again not many have HDMI ports

I only have 1 right now which is fine as my current HDD/DVD Recorder doesn't have HDMI anyway and I cannot get Freesat until I buy my own place anyway. I've partially held off upgrading the HDD/DVD Recorder until I get a new TV (and besides it's mostly perfectly, works fine).
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Yi-Long wrote:The PX80 isnt FullHD, is it!?
Nope, and I wouldn't want it to be either.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server