Internet Explorer 7 looking suspiciously like Firefox

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Internet Explorer 7 looking suspiciously like Firefox

Post by bradavon »

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/ie7/default.mspx

Check out all the "amazing" new features (you'll need Flash), at least have of them have been in Firefox for some time. The Search bar addition looks to be completely lifted from Firefox and the New Tab icon IS the same icon used in Firefox. It wouldn't be the first time Microsoft has stolen ideas and technologies.

Doublespace anyone :D

Bookmarks has always been a much better name than Favourites.

Still it won't matter much come Windows Vista Firefox will (probably) die. I hope Mozilla realise this and do something about it.

I'll probably continue to use Firefox for it's Extensions support which IE will never have. The Spell Checker addin is worth it alone.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

It does indeed looks alot like Firefox.
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

TBH I am not surprised by this, Firefox is a really good internet browswer, I use this more than IE. Microsoft tend to borrow features from other software, but so do other s/ware companies.

I think that Firefox will continue to improve and really don't think I.E 7 will take away FireFox user base.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I hope you're right. Firefox 1.5 is already pretty much IE7 so they can only improve. If Mozilla could fix the few minor bugs with forms and make it more compatible with eBay it would be perfect.

I use it 95% of the time but when selling on eBay you have to use IE as Firefox defaults to plain text and oddly won't let you choose HTML.

Still IE7 isn't due for a good few months yet so who knows. They've said there will be an XP version before Vista ship.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I'll still keep using Firefox. IE has had no real major in 5+ years, the only reason we're seeing them now is cuz Firefox finally gave 'em some competition that actually made MS take notice. If Firefox hadn't had taken the ~5% of the internet userbase which it did in just a year then IE prolly would've remained the backward piece of shit that it is at the present time.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yep very true. MS were not planning to upgrade IE until Vista they've now been forced to.

The sad thing is most people won't touch Firefox JUST because IE comes with Windows. It's the old case of "I don't need it, IE is fine". I'd like my Dad to use Firefox but I know he won't.

He only moved over to XP because we needed Internet Connection Sharing (which is possible but harder in Wndows 98, not that I told him that). He still says they aren't much different, Yes they both have Start Menus but WTF! This was a few years back.

Even Tom who knows a lot about computers uses IE???
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Even Tom who knows a lot about computers uses IE???
Not surprised by that logic given what you consider his favourite films and he gives off the impression that he thinks all non-Asian are ugly.
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 07 Apr 2006, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Sorry I don't get the logic? But yeah his stance on non-Asian women is kinda weird.

The dude doesn't even run a virus checker :drunken:
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Meow.
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 07 Apr 2006, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Sorry I don't get the logic?
Sorry, wasn't looking at what I typed. I meant that most of his "all time fave films" are considered shit by alot of people.
The dude doesn't even run a virus checker :drunken:
Haha, forgot about that one..
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

bradavon wrote:I hope you're right. Firefox 1.5 is already pretty much IE7 so they can only improve. If Mozilla could fix the few minor bugs with forms and make it more compatible with eBay it would be perfect..
Mmmm I have been on ebay many a times, selling stuff and have never experenced any problem with Firefox and Ebay. Please could you elaborate on this Bradavon. Also with forms, when debugging Onlines shop at work, i use firefox and never had any probs with form, whether they are used for POST with perlscripts on checkout. Firefox has greately improved my life because of the javascript debugger "Tools | Javascript Console". Many of my clients ring up complaining about javascript error, before i had so much trouble with IE, because it wasn't really helpful. Checking in firefox with syntax highlight really helps me out, it has saved many hours of me wasting my time.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'll have to retry it Slasher but if you click on "Sell" on eBay and then progress to the part where you enter the description in IE there are two tabs:

1 - HTML
2. - Plain Text

The HTML one is simply not there in Firefox. I e-mailed eBay about this and they reply saying it needs to be a supported browser. I replied back saying Firefox is as Firefox is mentioned on eBay's own supported list of browsers page.

As for form support it generally works but some just don't display as well (99% the same so I don't give a monkeys), for example some "REPLY" windows are to narrow.

I've always hated since day one there is no Toolbar button to open a new window you need to click on File, New and then finally Window.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:I've always hated since day one there is no Toolbar button to open a new window you need to click on File, New and then finally Window.
So you don't use keyboard combo commands like Ctrl+N? Study them, it'll make your life far easier.

Useful universal windows ones:-
Ctrl+C - copy
Ctrl+X - cut
Ctrl+P - paste
Ctrl+A - select all
Ctrl+S - save
Ctrl+Home - takes to the beginning of the page/document of the the text that's in a text field/window.
Ctrl+End - opposite of the above.
Page Up and Page Down - much faster/easier than the mouse scroll wheel.
Ctrl+F - Application's find function.
Shift+mouse clicks - select everything in this list between these points.
Ctrl+mouse clicks - select only this one thing, can keep select just one item until Ctrl is released.
Shift+page up - select next character on left of cursor.
Shift+page down - select next character on right of cursor.
Shift+home - select everything on the line left of cursor.
Shift+end - select everything on the line right of cursor.
Shift+Ctrl+home - select everything above cursor in document.
Shift+Ctrl+end - select everything below cursor in document.
Ctrl+home - To top of document/page.
Ctrl+end - To bottom of document/page.

Web browsers:-
Ctrl+N - New window.
Ctrl+T - new tab (Firefox only AFAIK).
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

bradavon wrote:I'll have to retry it Slasher but if you click on "Sell" on eBay and then progress to the part where you enter the description in IE there are two tabs:

1 - HTML
2. - Plain Text

The HTML one is simply not there in Firefox. I e-mailed eBay about this and they reply saying it needs to be a supported browser. I replied back saying Firefox is as Firefox is mentioned on eBay's own supported list of browsers page.

As for form support it generally works but some just don't display as well (99% the same so I don't give a monkeys), for example some "REPLY" windows are to narrow.

I've always hated since day one there is no Toolbar button to open a new window you need to click on File, New and then finally Window.
Ahh thanks Bradavon, I use Turbo Lister for my ebay stuff, so really don't do it online. This helps me out alot. One thing about Firefox is that it is really strict on CSS design as well as table width and height. So this may example why some form are narrow, the webdesigner hasn't put a fixed width on the form, so IE displays it one way, and Firefox displays it another. I have seen this happen in the past with coding
Also the rendering is different between IE and Firefox, well doing a small windows application, I had used firefox rendering via ActiveX using COM and the results where different then using I.E Control 4.0

But do checkout turbo lister, it really good, as you can do it offline :)

Cheers for the shortcuts Eva :), Didn't know about Crtl+N, :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Cheers Slasher I didn't know of Turbo Lister I'll download it now. It does take a while via the web.

Firefox doesn't support ActiveX???

LOL of course I know keyboard shortcuts but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a toolbar button for what must be one of the most used features in any web browser.

Ctrl+C - copy
Ctrl+X - cut
Ctrl+P - paste
Ctrl+A - select all

I use those all the time.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Brad wrote:Even Tom who knows a lot about computers uses IE???
Because it comes with XP. :D
I might get another browser when IE7 arrives, though. I don't like its new features.
Firefox and IE7 use tabs, and I don't like tabs. I prefer separate windows.
Eva wrote:IE has had no real major upgrade in 5+ years
That's exactly why I use it. :)
Brad wrote:his stance on non-Asian women is kinda weird.
They're all ugly. What's so weird about that ? :lol:
The dude doesn't even run a virus checker
And yet he still lives. Weird.

Here's my IE6:

No useless buttons. Just the essentials.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Hey Bradavon
Firefox doesn't support ActiveX???
LOL, sorry Yep it does, I was simply taking about using creating an MFC application (Visual c++) which had embedded firefox controls activex using COM. (This is cross platform, so can be used in Visual Basic (yuck), Purebasic or Delphi)

I think you would like Turbo Lister, it a great program Bradavon. :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

So you're saying Firefox does support ActiveX or not? I'm sure it doesn't.
Tom2681 wrote:Because it comes with XP. :D
As that's your sole reason point made.
Tom2681 wrote:I might get another browser when IE7 arrives, though. I don't like its new features.
Firefox and IE7 use tabs, and I don't like tabs. I prefer separate windows.
Tom you truly are weird, btw Firefox supports Windows too. I use them from time to time but to choose is better. I remember the days of IE when I used to have so many windows down the bottom, an utter mess.

I bet you use the Classic Windows 9x Start Menu don't you? That saves on resources and clutter :D Actually I can see you do?!?
Tom2681 wrote:That's exactly why I use it. :)
WTF??? You'd rather use old software. Why are you running XP then?
Tom2681 wrote:Here's my IE6:

No useless buttons. Just the essentials.
WTF??? All the time you must waste, where's your quick launch toolbar???

What's with the question mark? Aide isn't good enough? That's help right. I'm surprised you're using a gradient effect, that uses resources too :wink:
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

I bet you use the Classic Windows 9x Start Menu don't you?
Of course.
Why are you running XP then?
Hey I'd still be using 98 if I could. :D
But most software can't run on it anymore.
where's your quick launch toolbar???
My... what ? :lol:
I thought only the taskbar had a quick launch toolbar. :?:
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The links toolbar to be precise. You prefer Windows 98 to XP - O-Kay.

I've never worked out why some prefer the Classic Start Menu. You better get used to it 2003 has the XP Start Menu and I'm betting Vista will too (or different again).

The Classic Start Menu is 11 years old!

You can find things so much quicker on the XP one, you have Quick Launch programs (or whatever it's called) and My Computer right there.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

I've never worked out why some prefer the Classic Start Menu.
Actually I don't really care about the Start Menu. I don't use it at all.
You can find things so much quicker on the XP one, you have Quick Launch programs (or whatever it's called) and My Computer right there.
Way ahead of you: :wink:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... 0168#30168
Every single program/folder I use is in my auto-hidden taskbar's quick launch toolbar.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Personally I hate the Auto-hide function, I just do and that looks a mess all those tiny icons with no names.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

bradavon wrote:The Classic Start Menu is 11 years old!

I can't find anything much quicker on the new Start menu, I hate it. It is so much easier to just have everything sorted alphabetically into one place. Oh, and "My Computer" is on my desktop & also Ctrl + E to save time.

The new Start menu design is junk. Just because the Classic Start Menu is 11 years old doesn't make it inefficient / useless...
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

IronMonkey wrote:I can't find anything much quicker on the new Start menu, I hate it. It is so much easier to just have everything sorted alphabetically into one place. Oh, and "My Computer" is on my desktop & also Ctrl + E to save time.
You still have that it's called "All Programs" :D

You can access My Computer nice and easily if you have various windows open and it's even better when display as a pop out menu than link.

What's Ctrl+E supposed to do? It does nothing on my PC. I guess you mean Windows key + E yep I use that.

Anyway moving on I'm right and you're well wrong :wink: