Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars (1985, dir. Sammo Hung)

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Toge
Flirting Scholar

Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars (1985, dir. Sammo Hung)

Post by Toge »

Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars (1985)
AKA Ha Yut Fuk Sing (Original Cantonese title) [HKMDB]
Starring: Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao, Richard Ng, Stanley Fung, Rosamund Kwan, Sibelle Hu, Richard Norton, Kurata Yusuaki
Directed by Sammo Hung
Produced by Leonard K. C. Ho & Raymond Chow
Action Chorography by Chin Kar Lok, Lam Ching Ying, Yuen Biao & Yuen Wah (Hung Gar Ban)
DVD distributed by Medusa
DVD digitally re-mastered & restored by Hong Kong Legends

SYNOPSIS:

The crime-busters from My Lucky Stars (Stanley Fung, Eric Tsang, Richard Ng, Miu Kiu Wai & Sammo Hung) take a break in Thailand to celebrate their 'success' from their previous case. Their vacation is cut short when they have to rush back to Hong Kong as they learn that hitmen are on the way to kill a Hong Kong drug lord. Detectives Tit Lik Wai (Jackie Chan) & Ricky (Yuen Biao) finds his assignment switched from giving the drug lord a hard time to protecting him from the assassins.

FILM:

As usual, the cast are back for another very sexual innuendo-esque action comedy, and man, do they do this in style!

First, the comedy. Cantonese humour is certainly an acquired taste, and in this film, it's no different. Rosamund Kwan is the victim in this film, as she is constantly man handled and groped by the stooges, for most of the film! To be honest, it is very distasteful is ways, and Rosamund is being wasted for most of the time, as her acting abilities are pretty good (watch the Once Upon a Time in China films!), but, then, she is nothing much more then eye candy is this film, so we'll let her off in this role.

John Shum reprises his role from Winner & Sinners, as mad as ever, with the crazy hairdo and so forth. He's competent but I feel that when he's acting, it seems a little unnatural, and sometimes, even a little forced.

Eric Tsang, Stanley Fung & Richard Ng certainly shine in their 'slapsticky' roles, as the bumbling fool & pervert respectively. Richard Ng undoubtedly stands out, with his creative reactions, comedic touch and is even brave enough to go full commando in front on the gang! Eric Tsang still plays his role as the fool as well as he did in My Lucky Stars, playing the gullible, (yet lovable), fat boy who gets picked on. His acting abilities are second to none, as he is funny at unnecessary times, with the look on his face and on screen persona. Fung is unintentionally funny, as he curses and uses violence throughout the film.

Sammo is as funny as ever, doing his fair share of gags that poke fun at his size.

But most importantly, they all share the same comic timing that all slapstick comedy most possess - makes great comedy!

Action chorography is by the Hung Gar Ban, and it is simply stunning. They push Yuen Biao's acrobatic skills to the limit, and even make Andy Lau look good! Watch out the 3 way boat/warehouse fight with some 20 guys - simply some of the most breathtaking chorography you will ever see! The last fight scene is also first-class; Biao Vs. Chung Fatt, Sammo Vs. Richard Norton & Chan Vs. Yusuaki! Sammo manages to mix together humour with some tennis racquets and some very acrobatic moves from a man from his size - good stuff!

DVD:

The film is presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. The picture has no colour bleed, no dirt, noticeable scratches or blemishes (the odd one pops now again, you'll have to look hard though) and the black levels are nice and deep, but it is a little dark and some grain in some scenes and the picture is slightly soft, but it does suit the look of the film. Overall, it's not too bad for a film that was make 18 years ago at the time of writing, but could improve.

The disc comes with 3 soundtracks as normal - Cantonese DD5.1, English Dub DD5.1 & an audio commentary by Bey Logan (DD2.0). The Cantonese soundtrack is very clear, almost perfect, except for a slight muffle during one line, but there is no point crying over that. The English dub is also there for all you lazy people who can't be bothered to read subtitles - it's competent, but does lose the funny edge the Cantonese soundtrack gives. The audio commentary by 'Dai Goh' Bey Logan is as always, very interesting and informative, and never gets boring... listen out for the commentary for the cameo 'Oh My God!' scene...

There are 3 subtitles tracks on the disc: English, English for the hard of hearing & Dutch. The English subtitle track are DUBTITLES! Shame on you HKL! I have to admit though, as a Cantonese speaker, it does translate much of what is being spoken 90% of the time. I can't vouch that the Dutch subtitle track is any better, because I don't speak/read Dutch, but I'm guessing its a translation of the English subtitles. Very disappointing subtitles from HKL, but at least they tried. Overall, not too bad, but will disappoint people.

The animated menus are superb and suit the feeling of the film.

Special features include interviews with co-stars Richard Norton and Richard Ng, trailers for the UK and HK release of Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars & an outtake reel of My Lucky Stars.

The Richard Norton interview lasts for 33 minutes, with him explaining about how he got into martial arts, body guarding for several rock stars, Chuck Norris & how he got in the Hong Kong film business. He then talks about his roles on Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars & City Hunter, starring Jackie Chan. He also compares the difference in direct and action chorography of Jackie Chan & Sammo Hung, as well as the people themselves. The interview is interspersed with clips of him in both City Hunter and Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars, as well as photographs from his own private collection. The interview is very interesting, as is well worth watching if you are a fan of Hong Kong action films.

The Richard Ng interview lasts for 20 minutes, and has him explaining about going to the UK at 15, starring in 'walk on' parts in films and working for the BBC/ITV. Then he explains what job he got when he went back to Hong Kong. After that, some comments about the '5 Lucky Stars', how Sammo's directing works and comment Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars' script writer, Barry Wong. Then, to finish off, he mentions Jackie Chan, and how dubbing loses for original comedy of Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars.
The last 10 minutes is very interesting, especially if you like the technical aspect of film make, but the first tens minutes where he talks about himself does lag on.

The last special feature is a Japanese laserdisc outtake reel of My Lucky Stars. To be honest, it isn't really that funny, as it's mainly speaking parts that go wrong, and the picture quality is quite poor. This runs for about 2 and a half minutes.

Also included are the usual faff; UK promotional trailers of Twinkle Twinkle My Lucky Stars, My Lucky Stars, The Swordsman, First Option, Project A, Dragon From Russia, Bichunmoo, Ichi and Killer, Bang Rajan and the original Hong Kong theatrical trailer of Twinkle Twinkle My Lucky Stars.

Reviewed by Cecil Chan
I might only drop in and out but I'm still your admin... spiritually :P