Shaolin Soccer (2001, dir. Stephen Chow)

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Toge
Flirting Scholar

Shaolin Soccer (2001, dir. Stephen Chow)

Post by Toge »

Shaolin Soccer (2001)

AKA Siu Lam Chuk Kau (Original Cantonese Title)
Directed by: Stephen Chow
Written by: Stephen Chow & Tsang Gan Cheong
Producer: Yeung Kwok Fai
Starring: Stephen Chow, Zhou Mei, Ng Man Tat, Li Hui, Karen Mok, Cecilia Cheung, Wong Yut Fei & Vincent Kok

THE SYNOPSIS:

Fifth See Hing (Stephen Chow) is an ex-Shaolin disciple, now a bum, who meets former soccer star Fung (Ng Man Tat from Fight Back to School), in the streets, talking about soccer. Sing goes one about how Shaolin kung-fu can be adapted to different ways so that you can use them in modern life. Later on Hing gets into a fight, using a soccer ball to to defeat his opponents. Fung sees this and tries to train Hing and his fellow Shaolin disciples to play professional soccer. So the comedy begins...

Stephen Chow. If you've been watching Hong Kong comedies for a while, you'll know who this guy is. If not, here are 3 words that describe him: Weird, wonderful and energetic. If you're Chinese and if he can't make you laugh then there’s something wrong with you! He plays the often daydreaming Shaolin disciple Fifth See Hing (aka Dai Lik Gum Gong Kui) with some seriousness, even though he he’s acting in a comedic film. In seriousness, I mean as in he seems to take his role very seriously but still, he's up for laughs and will do up to anything to make a scene humourous, from a singing routine to a smack in the mouth, with Wong Yut Fei at the receiving end of it. Chow's quite good kicking skill is very evident in the film, with him kicking footballs like a pro.

Chow has improved a lot as a director since From Beijing With Love (co-directed with Lee Lik-Chi). Shots circling around the attention area, and zoom in to expression shots seem to be his favourite shots, with mid-shots and close-up coming to a close second. He also seems to like changing mood for a scene very drastically, like from serious to a comedy. It's always nice sometimes to know that you are actually watching a Chow Sing Chi 'Nonsense' film and not some old cliché ridden dramatic role with no plot. I also feel the plot he's written here is very original and makes for a barrel loads of laughs. In his movies Chow likes to reference his idol Bruce Lee and make no mistake, Bruce is mentioned in this film too and the the famed boxing-style stance after every kick he makes is highlighted also. One thing that did strike me though, was the beautician part. I feel it was totally unnecessary, and it freaks you out. It freaked me out, that's for sure.

Ng Man Tat plays the cripple Fung, ex-soccer star who got bribed and then his career ended when his 'mate' paid someone to break his legs. Ng, as always, get the part of the cliché riddled character, but he does get to shine in this performance. We see that, not only he can carry a comedic role, but there's a serious side to it too. You don't see him in many serious roles, but he can be good at it.

Out of all the many the co-stars, only four really shine. Zhou Mei, Chan Kwok Sang, Lam Chi Sin and Wong Yut Fei.

Zhou Mei (from Chinese Odyssey 2002) is the shy, spot-ridden girl that makes steamed buns and is a tai chi master! I'll quote Chow; 'Zhou Mei plays her role perfectly'. And she bloody well does. I mean, she doesn't mind getting slapped in the face by Chow, how great is that?! Chan Kwok Sang is the Bruce Lee look-alike. His acting during the introduction of his character is really good and he displays a natural acting style with comedy and willingness blended into it. Also his Bruce Lee impressions absolutely rocks, he even gets a Game of Death costume!

Lam Chi Sin is the fat bloke and the only reason he's good is that he portrays what Chow wanted him to do; being and doing what a fat bloke does best, which is eat a lot and sleep. It's a bit stereotypical, but seeing him fly makes me laugh 'til me stomach aches! Wong Yut Fei is the Iron Head. He really makes cantonese comedy worth watching, as you'll see in the singing routine he does with Chow. Very funny, Cantonese humour to the full!

CG effects, was, and possible still is, the most famous aspect of this film. It's exaggerated but good and very comedic. Centro Digital have done a wonderful job with this film, providing outrageously funky effects, mostly to do with Shaolin kung-fu. You'll be amazed and they did go on to win the Best Visual Effects award at the HKFA earlier this year.

Shaolin Soccer is a brilliant film, you'll love it if you like soccer, even if you don't you'll still love it. Well worth it's money.

THE DVD:

A very clean 1:85:1 Anamorphic print but you'd expect that for a film made just a year ago. One complaint though, is a very noticeable white mark, at the 1:14:50 mark of the main feature. Go frame by frame and you'll see what I mean. A great big HUGE splodge of what seems to be pigeon poop but that's me being a little fussy though.

Included are Cantonese Dolby Digital 2.0, 5.1, DTS 5.1 audio tracks plus a mandarin 5.1 dub. I only listened to the 2.0 track, and it's very clear. No hissing, clear dialogue, great. I didn't really listen to the other tracks, mainly because I don't own a Dolby Digital or a DTS amplifier.

The English subtitles are great, clear, no spelling mistakes, not many grammar errors, wonderful all around. They are a little dumbed down though. Also included are traditional and simplified Chinese subtitles.

Note that three extra scenes are available through a 'follow the white rabbit'-feature that can be activated via the Special Version option on the main menu. When a white symbol appears you can view an extended scene showing a fairly elaborate dance routine, a big scene for Mun after her make over and finally an NG-reel that appears before the end credits.

Extras include a 20 minute Making Of, (with English subtitles), and it provided a truly useful view on how the film was done. NG Footage is just the outtake footage in the main feature without English subtitles. There's also a short featurette showing before and after shots regarding the many CG effects. The Stars files for Ng Man Tat, Stephen Chow and Zhou Mei are the usual crap you get and the photo gallery is just a few high resolution pictures from the film.

Reviewed by Cecil Chan / edited by Kenneth Brorsson
I might only drop in and out but I'm still your admin... spiritually :P