Throw Down (2004, dir. Johnnie To)

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Toge
Flirting Scholar

Throw Down (2004, dir. Johnnie To)

Post by Toge »

Acclaimed Hong Kongese director Johnnie To's tribute to Akira Kurosawa, Throw Down is about a story of a former Judo champion called Sze-To (played by Louis Koo), who quit Judo to run a nightclub. However, the appearance of a young challenger called Tony (Aaron Kwok), an old unfinished challenge from a rival (Tony Leung Ka-Fai) & his old master revives his Judo instinct, who goes back to training and beat his drinking/gambling habit.

Having never seen a Kurosawa film, this is quite a weird film for me, since I have never seen this style before. It is more like To's "PTU" (2003) - there isn't much dialogue, but the story is told visually. To doesn't direct a masterpiece, or even a fun film (like "Breaking News", 2004), but creates a fairly well paced, reality-like tale where the viewer is engrossed, but slightly confused. The film tends to go off pace from time to time, switch back and forth from different character's situations, but this doesn't really distract you from the viewing. Louis Koo & Aaron Kwok do their respective jobs pretty well, fitting in with their character's quirky personalities. To also puts subtle humour into the film, but also puts another moral to the film - perseverance. The other cast don't really stand out, but do suit the film perfectly.

Being a judo film from HK, there actually isn't much of of it - but when there is, it is quite realistic and quite exciting stuff, even if the cameraman sometimes shoots the action too close, or too far. The last fight is the best - well edited, well choreographed and well shot.

So all in all, quite a surprise from the To, since it doesn't have the glamour or tense atmosphere from the previous films such as "Breaking News" or "Running out of Time" (1998), but it does have plot over style akin to PTU, and does make you think when it ends. And then makes you rewatch it to see if you have missed anything.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A2988525
I might only drop in and out but I'm still your admin... spiritually :P