Swallowtail Butterfly - BD-J vs. R2J

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Re: Swallowtail Butterfly - BD-J vs. R2J

Post by Lourdes »

New palette for the HD release. It does look a bit too clean, as part of the restoration there has been a load of noise and sharpening applied and it now appears as though it were shot digitally. It should be softer with more obvious grain, not this fine noise.
I still like it, very well done job and there's plenty of bitrate so it doesn't look bad.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I rather like the look of the DVD - fits the film very nicely - so I don't think I'll be upgrading this anytime soon.

Same with Lily Chou Chou... it looks good on BD, but I think the R2J DVD had nicer colors (whether or not they were more accurate) so I decided not to buy the BD (after renting it).
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

I didn't know Lily looked different, looked now and I see the R2J is a little warmer. I wonder if that's related to NTSC colour temp in Japan?
I don't think it makes a difference to the look personally, there's bright light used throughout the film and the warmth of that doesn't change it for me. Actually, I think I prefer it on BD because it's more obvious and truer to camera since this one was a digital production.

Swallowtail I'm keeping the DVD of for now, watching side-by-side and it's too bad it was modernised. Once I watch the BD alone I'll see if I care or not.