What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Shingster wrote:Have you even seen Blade Runner Hung?
8 or 9 times.

And yes, I have seen The Final Cut, too.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

HungFist wrote: Yes, but perhaps I'd like to watch Blade Runner, and not some 25th anniversary remix?
Well the 5 Disc UE includes all cuts, so knock yourself out.

As Gasterpod says the Final Cut and Director's Cut before them are more Blade Runner than the Warner Brothers approved Theatrical Cut ever was. That was never how Scott or Ford wanted it.
HungFist wrote:8 or 9 times.

And yes, I have seen The Final Cut, too.
Why are you even complaining then? Let us watch the film we want to.

I presume you preferred the 1992 Director's Cut to The Final Cut? Well bully you, you're alone in that opinion.
Markgway wrote:Blade Runner is massively overrated IMHO.
Is that because of it being overrated in your opinion or just a bad film in it's own right?

The same question to Salty please.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

lol, I wasn't complaining. I was replying to your post where you blindly assumed that all people would prefer The Final Cut and that the other versions are not worth owning. I didn't even state which version I prefer because I wasn't talking about my personal preferences.

And for the record, The Final Cut is my preferred version for the dvd viewing at the moment.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Oh right, fair enough then. Surely it's obvious when a member posts it's all "in their opinion"?

I was recommending to Grim and the like who've never seen Blade Runner (so are unlikely to want to fork out for the 5 Disc UE) that the 2 Disc SE is fine to get instead.

Take that Pedantic Hat off :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
The same question to Salty please.
I find the film boring and it leaves me cold.Ford looks totally disinterested throughout,sean young is wooden and i thought Rutger Hauer gave the film's best performance.i've sold the blu-ray on.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Fair enough. Sean Young is a bit wooden but that's how I personally think it's supposed to be.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

All of the replicants are 'wooden' to an extent.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I really like how this thread is spoiler-free for the few of us who havent seen Blade Runner yet(!) :roll:
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

gasteropod wrote:All of the replicants are 'wooden' to an extent.
i thought Brion James was quite animated rather than wooden,as was daryl hannah.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

saltysam wrote:
gasteropod wrote:All of the replicants are 'wooden' to an extent.
i thought Brion James was quite animated rather than wooden,as was daryl hannah.
Pris definitely has something 'wooden' about the way she acts; even her movements are a bit robotic, like when she does that backwards handstand in the apartment. It's the way they all talk too, a bit unnatural despite not being specifically robot-like.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

well you guys know and love the film far more than i ever will so i'll bow to your superior knowledge :wink:
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

@ Gasteropod: Agreed. I think it's part of what makes them replicants. What I've always wondered is, how come they're so hard to spot? Surely they're not human inside too.

@ Yi - No one has posted any spoilers, except for about Harrison Ford's character, which I think is now common knowledge. If it concerns you, can I suggest you don't read the comments about Blade Runner :)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:What I've always wondered is, how come they're so hard to spot? Surely they're not human inside too.
The glisten of their eyes should give them away, but for some reason it appears the lengthy VK test is required.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I wouldnt be reading the info about Blade Runner, if it was posted in the Blade Runner thread. Here though, you just read the comments and go 'fuck...'

I didnt actually know yet about Ford's character. If it was Star Wars and Darth Vader being Leiah's little sister, ok, everyone knows that already... cause Star Wars has jumped over from generation to generation and is part of well-known pop-culture... but Blade Runner isnt that famous and wellknown, and most still keep that info secret for everyone to find out.

Most of us have seen The Fugitive, but still, if we are new to it than we wouldnt suddenly want to read who it was that actually murdered his wife...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Blade Runner is very famous. I guess you can blame your buddy Lourdes for letting the cat out of the bag about Ford's character then :D

If you're as bothered about it as you say you are why did you previously read up about Blade Runner?
gasteropod wrote:The glisten of their eyes should give them away, but for some reason it appears the lengthy VK test is required.
Isn't that to be sure?
Last edited by bradavon on 31 Mar 2008, 12:58, edited 2 times in total.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Yeah, it's famous, but it isnt as well-known and watched as Star Wars, and many people still dont know info like Ford being a replicant, cause it isnt used as common-knowledge in other mainstream media, unlike Darth Vader's secret.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:in other mainstream media, unlike Darth Vader's secret.
It certainly is used as often, but I'll stop there as it's a silly discussion.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

It certainly isnt used as often, cause otherwise I would have heard it by now, wouldnt I!?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Yi-Long wrote:and many people still dont know info like Ford being a replicant
A lot of people deny that he is, so don't worry about it. If you ever watch Blade Runner, it doesn't spoil it either way because it's not like a big reveal in the film or anything, it's merely hinted at at various points.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

And it's very vaguely hinted at too :D
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Well, it's one of the most important things in Blade Runner. If someone had spoiled it for me no doubt I would've killed that person...
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

HungFist wrote:Well, it's one of the most important things in Blade Runner.
So important that most people probably aren't even aware of it :wink:
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

If you've seen one Philip K. Dick adaptation, then it's not too hard to predict protagonist's fate in other films based on his fiction. Eg A Scanner Darkly:- the uncover narcotics officer becoming a victim of his line of work.

Fantastic film that, I need to buy it on Blu-ray.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

HungFist wrote:And for the record, The Final Cut is my preferred version for the dvd viewing at the moment.
Then I take it your comment comes across a little different than what you intended :D :
Why would someone want to see the cgi enhanced Final Cut?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

It may be easier to understand if you also read the comment I was replying to :wink:
bradavon wrote: The 2 Disc SE contains the only cut now worth worrying about (The Final Director's Cut)