What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Mo
Pedicab Driver

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Unread post by Mo » 05 Jul 2016, 19:09

Mark I've noticed that you've seen a ton of Italian movies. Do you have a favorite non western? And have you seen Macabre and Footprints on the Moon? I'd be interested to see what you think of them. These 2 movies are so strange that I wouldn't be surprised if you gave them 0 stars, and I wouldn't be surprised if you gave them 4 stars. My guess is that you'd be somewhere in the middle on them..

Also is Secret in their Eyes as good as Erin Brockovich?
"I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 06 Jul 2016, 01:35

Mo wrote:Mark I've noticed that you've seen a ton of Italian movies.
I've seen a few... ;)
Do you have a favorite non western?
Actually, apart from a few titles, I'm not really a Spaghetti Western fan...

I suppose Suspiria would top my likes list; but it's a short list. :D
And have you seen Macabre and Footprints on the Moon?
Yes and No.
I'd be interested to see what you think of them. These 2 movies are so strange that I wouldn't be surprised if you gave them 0 stars, and I wouldn't be surprised if you gave them 4 stars. My guess is that you'd be somewhere in the middle on them..
This was my comment on Macabre: 'Peculiar psychological thriller, inspired by a true story (though it's unlikely most of what goes on here actually happened). Lamberto Bava's bloodless directorial debut is largely dull and overcooked.'
Also is Secret in their Eyes as good as Erin Brockovich?
No.

Mo
Pedicab Driver

Unread post by Mo » 06 Jul 2016, 04:06

Nice, good to know. I've seen Bird w Crystal Plumage, Tenebre, and I got Opera coming in the mail. I'll eventually get to all of Argento's early works. Hopefully you get to see Footprints. It's a classy movie, unlike Macabre. The Shameless DVD is the way to go, although I think the cut full screen version titled Primal Impulse is maybe the better version because it makes the film just a bit more mysterious. I think it's a stone cold masterpiece, but then again I also think Macabre is a masterpiece. Macabre has a real stupid ending, chomp! It almost ruins the movie. But what saves it is that the ending is so stupid I couldn't help but laugh at it.

For Italian movies I'm really into the spaghetti westerns, but I'm finding out now that I like some of the other genres equally.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 06 Jul 2016, 07:06

Black Mama, White Mama (1973-USA-Phillipines) **
Part WIP flick, part (wo)manhunt, all exploitation. Trash, but aware of it.

Dead End Drive-In (1986-Australia) **
Ozploitation is technically well-made, but the setup is unbelievable nonsense, the satire leaden.

Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Unread post by Masterofoneinchpunch » 06 Jul 2016, 17:02

Markgway wrote:Post a spoiler about the original ending and I'll tell you if it's the same.
The Juan José Campanella film I'll quote end of the synopsis (fixing a spelling error):

Sneaking inside, he is shocked to find that Morales has a makeshift cell in his home and that he has kept Gómez chained inside for over 24 years as punishment for his wife's death. He kept him alive by feeding him and tending to him, but not once in 24 years talking to him nor letting him out. Morales repeats what he had maintained in front of Espósito back to 1974: that, instead of a death sentence, he believes the boredom of a meaningless life in jail to be true justice.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 06 Jul 2016, 19:38

Basically the same ending then, except it's only been 13 years and Ejiofor persuades Roberts to put the imprisoned man out of his misery

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 07 Jul 2016, 05:58

Death Walks on High Heels (1971-Italy-Spain) **
Muddled erotic giallo keeps viewer in suspense, but doesn't quite tie up its loose ends and implausibilities.

Mo
Pedicab Driver

Unread post by Mo » 09 Jul 2016, 06:26

Mark of the Devil 1970- pointless German movie about accusing women of witchcraft and torturing them. This is the worst movie I've seen in awhile (and I just watched Criminally Insane 1 and 2 a couple days ago). There was one funny part where a guy complains about being tired from torturing people all day.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 09 Jul 2016, 08:51

The Hills Have Eyes (1977-USA) *
Stupid family of irritants run into mountain-dwelling cannibals. Wes Craven has made some genuinely good horror movies; this isn't one of them. In fact, it's terrible. Starring a bloke who looks like Sonny Bono and another who's a ringer for Matt Damon's Team America puppet (except the puppet gave a better performance). Gore isn't much by today's standards.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 09 Jul 2016, 09:04

Markgway wrote:The Hills Have Eyes (1977-USA) *
Stupid family of irritants run into mountain-dwelling cannibals. Wes Craven has made some genuinely good horror movies; this isn't one of them. In fact, it's terrible. Starring a bloke who looks like Sonny Bono and another who's a ringer for Matt Damon's Team America puppet (except the puppet gave a better performance). Gore isn't much by today's standards.
(Obviously I disagree about your review but) perhaps you should have watched the remake instead. It's a better made film than the original, but suffers from being too faithful to the original for the first 2/3. The final third, where it goes its own way, is very good.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 09 Jul 2016, 09:08

Pretty sure I saw the remake when it came out.
I don't remember it being as bad as the original.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 09 Jul 2016, 13:53

High Plains Drifter (1972-USA) ***
Clint's first western is dark and atypical of the genre; interesting, accomplished.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 10 Jul 2016, 08:45

Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye (1973-Italy-France-Germany) **
Gothic giallo set in Scottish castle; standard stuff, pretty bland.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 11 Jul 2016, 08:09

The Nights of Terror (1981-Italy) *
Comically bad zombie picture contains the usual gut-munching gore and zero common sense. Casting an adult dwarf as a 12 year old boy is the icing on the cake.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 12 Jul 2016, 17:03

Aenigma (1987-Italy-Yugoslavia) *½
Aenemic Lucio Fulci chiller in which a schoolgirl, left braindead after a cruel prank, possesses the minds of her victims (or something). Little sense here, the best you can say is that it isn't exactly awful. Sexy lead actress is Nastassja Kinski's cousin.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 15 Jul 2016, 09:12

Miami Connection (USA, 1987) [BD] - 3.5/5
Korean-American B-action with a rock band made of tae kwon do black belts fighting Miami motorcycle ninjas. Bad movie fans should get their kicks from sloppy action and hilariously bad acting. The real reason to watch the film, however, is the fantastic soundtrack and beautiful 80s aesthetics, including long club sequences, a great beach scene, and a band of ninjas riding motorcycles on the streets of Florida. Star Y.K. Kim has his own broken charm; he can barely speak and makes Van Damme and Lundgren look like character actors in comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R43dYg_Kuc0

Mo
Pedicab Driver

Unread post by Mo » 17 Jul 2016, 05:24

Miami Connection sounds right up my alley. I've heard about movies in recent years that are made to be so bad they're good on purpose, and that doesn't make any sense to me. You can't try and make a movie that's as laughably bad as Manos or Kung Fu Fever. It has to happen naturally.

Hatchet for the Honeymoon- made in 1968 and released in 1970. I've only seen 1 Mario Bava movie, Shock,which was his last movie, and it's pretty good. Next I watched Blood and Black Lace which was really good. But Honeymoon is better. It's about a man who has to kill brides so that he can unlock a childhood memory that he has blocked out of his mind. Each time he kills a bride he remembers more. But killing his own wife turns into a problem for him. Stephen Forsyth reminds me of Christian Bale in American Pyscho, and it's crazy to think that this was his last movie. What a shame, because he's amazing. Honeymoon doesn't have the spectacular ending I was hoping for, so for me it's just short of being a masterpiece. But I'll definitely add it to my list of favorite movies. "A woman should live only to her wedding night. Love once, and then die."

Also watched The Burbs. Great movie, although not as great as I remember. So I had to give masterofoneinchpunch credit for calling me out on it asking why I had it ranked so high.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 17 Jul 2016, 12:08

Mo wrote:Miami Connection sounds right up my alley. I've heard about movies in recent years that are made to be so bad they're good on purpose, and that doesn't make any sense to me. You can't try and make a movie that's as laughably bad as Manos or Kung Fu Fever. It has to happen naturally.
True. That's why for example Samurai Cop is a rather fun film, while the recent sequel looks just utter crap. It's like someone slipping on a banana peel... it's not very funny if you do it on purpose and inform the audience in advance that you're gonna try and slip on a banana peel.

Generally speaking, though, I really hate the expression "so bad it's good". I think most of the time it's used by culturally ignorant people watching foreign films (I've seen Kinji Fukasaku films called "so bad they're good" for God's sake!) or people who are afraid to admit they enjoy a non-fashionable/non-intelligent film (e.g. every other 80s action movie).

Besides, there are very few films that are enjoyable just because of their badness. I haven't seen Manos or Kung Fu Fever, but Samurai Cop is one of the few films I can name that partly fall into that category. I say "partly" because while it's full of unintentionally funny scenes that make it more enjoyable, it still has good pacing and good enough technical execution to actually be watchable. Genuinely bad films are just unwatchable.

Mo
Pedicab Driver

Unread post by Mo » 17 Jul 2016, 12:45

I need to see Samurai Cop. I've heard about it for years. For the most part I think the term so bad it's good fits. But I've had to change my mind on this one time. I used to call Ninja Terminator a bad movie, but it just has too many positive and fun things going for it. The fights are badass, Hwang Jang Lee is ultra badass, and Jaguar Wong is the coolest character in movie history. And then there's the star of the movie, the Garfield phone. Another is Bloodmoon. Sure the it's not a good movie, and the ending is hysterically bad, but it's too fun to call it a bad movie. To me, the genuinely bad movies are the ones that are dull, have no new ideas, and no effort put into them. Like a Coleman Francis movie. A movie that's so bad it's good is one that tries it's hardest to be a good movie, but everything goes wrong. This is usually because the film makers are inexperienced and have no budget, but they want so badly to make an exciting movie. Manos is indescribably bad. You have to see it to believe it. Future War is another one. It features kickboxing choreography, dinosaurs, and their masters. In the final fight the hero takes his shirt off at the same time as he gets punched trying to make it look like the impact of the punch knocked his shirt off. It's so bad, that it's good.

Mo
Pedicab Driver

Unread post by Mo » 18 Jul 2016, 04:43

The Master Touch 1972- superb action/heist movie from California and Buddy Goes West director Michele Lupo. Great performances from Kirk Douglas, Giuliano Gemma, Footprints on the the Moon star Florinda Bolkan and the tall lead henchman from The Brute and the Beast Romano Puppo. Great story with a thrilling final 40 minutes. And the Morricone score is icing on the cake. 9/10

I've only seen Kirk Douglas in a couple movies. He never stood out to me but he's great here. He kept reminding me of another actor, Michael Douglas. So I went to IMDB to research. Turns out they are father and son. I had no idea.

Mo
Pedicab Driver

Unread post by Mo » 18 Jul 2016, 06:29

Violent Naples 1976- have you guys ever seen a good movie from Umberto Lenzi? I've never seen a bad one from him (except Ghosthouse). His movies are technically well made, have good ideas sometimes, but they never turn out all that interesting. Violent Naples is an exception. He nails this one. It's well crafted, has a good story, and is easily the best action movie I've seen from Lenzi. 7.5/10

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 18 Jul 2016, 15:39

Mo wrote: I've only seen Kirk Douglas in a couple movies. He never stood out to me but he's great here. He kept reminding me of another actor, Michael Douglas. So I went to IMDB to research. Turns out they are father and son. I had no idea.
In other shocking news... the Pope is a Catholic!

Stay tuned for more! ;)

Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Unread post by Masterofoneinchpunch » 18 Jul 2016, 17:29

Mo wrote:...
Also watched The Burbs. Great movie, although not as great as I remember. So I had to give masterofoneinchpunch credit for calling me out on it asking why I had it ranked so high.
I still like the film. I actually still reference it now and then: especially the house and a few scenes. I had seen it several times and I thought the plot could have been better overall -- not a damning of the movie, just hurt rewatches.

That Douglas line made me laugh. Now have you not seen Spartacus (1960) or Paths of Glory (1957) or Ace in the Hole (1951)?

Mo
Pedicab Driver

Unread post by Mo » 18 Jul 2016, 22:50

Off the top of my head the only other movie I've seen with Douglas is The Villain 1979.

Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Unread post by Masterofoneinchpunch » 19 Jul 2016, 00:57

Mo wrote:Off the top of my head the only other movie I've seen with Douglas is The Villain 1979.
I've seen that too. :D It is so goofy. What do you think of it?