What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out

Post by HungFist »

Keoma (Italy, 1976) [DVD] - 4/5
Franco Nero gives one of his better performances in Enzo G. Castellari's near-apocalyptic arthouse western. Nero stars as a half-breed man returning to an evil town – a storyline that has nothing special about it, except being told via jaw dropping cinematography and highly unusual music. Keoma is best described as a crossover between Sam Peckinpah and Shunya Ito's surreal Female Prisoner Scorpion films. The violence plays in slow motion and biblical references are many.

Django Unchained (USA, 2012) [Cinema] – 3.5/5
Tarantino’s first western, though only after incorporating genre elements to his earlier movies several times, is in fact a southern. It’s also his least great directorial effort so far. The fantastic Django theme aside it has little to do with the 1966 original. Tarantino’s take is brutal, (semi) realistic and political, not unlike many of Sergio Corbucci’s films. What is lacking, though, is the mythical aspect that usually played a role to a varying degree in spaghetti westerns. The film looks modern in visual terms, and the soundtrack includes some awful pieces of rap music. The fact is, Italian spaghetti westerns in the 60’s also re-invented the western genre to some extent, but it’s surprising that genre aficionado Tarantino goes for a modern take rather than paying homage to the genre. Even with its failures, though, the film is entertaining, provocative, and comes with a load of fantastic performances. Most of the criticism is due to Tarantino’s track record that sets the bar too high.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Jurassic Park (1993-USA) **½

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997-USA) ***
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

The Brood 2/5 early Cronenberg horror is a rather plodding affair injected with scenes of violence,often involving children.
No Retreat,No Surrender 2.5/5 only a two star movie really but gets an extra half for nostalgia value.very much a child of the 80's, Van Damme makes for an imposing villain and what's not to like about a movie where Bruce Lee's ghost decides to train Kurt McKinney and it's treated as a fairly normal every day happening :)
The Killer Elite 2.5/5 lesser Peckinpah movie is still an enjoyable 70's thriller.liked it better this time round than i did when i last saw it a couple of years back.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:No Retreat,No Surrender 2.5/5 only a two star movie really but gets an extra half for nostalgia value.very much a child of the 80's, Van Damme makes for an imposing villain and what's not to like about a movie where Bruce Lee's ghost decides to train Kurt McKinney and it's treated as a fairly normal every day happening :)
It's treated as quite matter of fact, isn't it?

-'Oh, you're Bruce Lee's ghost?'

-'Yeah'

-'Fair enough. Let's train!'

-'What's the hurry, kid?'

-My Dad's a coward, I'm being bullied by a fat schlub, and I'll probably have to battle a Russian villain at some point in the near future'

-'We better get started!'
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

lol. it's a real piece of cheese but can't deny it's entertainment value. The oz BD isn't great tbh,lots of scratches and splices on the print used.still, it's the best it's looked.pity they didn't include the shorter version with the different soundtrack as well.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Fear Island (2009-Canada) **

Imagine 'Friday the 13th' on an island without any gore.
The filmmakers were obviously trying for mystery and suspense - and I respect that - but nothing much adds up in the end. I believe this premiered on Canadian TV (there are a few 'fucks' but it's mostly PG-13 level).
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Rec 2 (2009-Spain) **½

Found footage-virus-possession horror is pretty well done for the most; though it might give you a headache with all the noise/shouting and camcorder gymnastics.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Jurassic Park (1993-USA) **½

Jurassic Park III (2001-USA) **
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Markgway wrote:Jurassic Park (1993-USA) **½

:o
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Just revisited all three on Blu Ray and I enjoyed the darker second film the most.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Underclassman (2005-USA) *½

Nick Cannon (who?) mimics Chris Tucker (a very bad thing) in this ultra-cliched undercover cop comedy. I can't really think of anything nice to say save for the fact that Roselyn Sanchez is the hottest school teacher ever.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Universal Soldier : Day of Reckoning 3.5/5

Dark dark dark follow up to Regeneration, telling the story from the perspecting of a UniSol discovering he's a clone and searching for Vengence. I really loved this despite the grimness of the whole thing. Totally devoid of humour and totally played 100% straight. Really great action and admirable production values. A relentless ride just lacking slightly in extra depth that could've propelled it to another level. Unique and unforgettable none the less.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Premium Rush (2012-USA) **

Repetitive thriller about reckless characters chasing each other on bikes or something.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Son of Paleface (1952): 7/10

Spoof Western with Bob Hope (playing the son of his character in 'The Paleface') and Roy Rogers is great fun, Frank Tashlin's direction gives the film a cartoon like feel at times with plentiful gags, for example cartoon-like sounds and speeded up action, and breaking the 4th wall, which is very funny and Jane Russell looks very lovely, whether in a Western outfit, or finer attire like a showgirl costime, it has to be said :)
Roy Rogers is funny, especially when singing an old song Four Legged Friend (which I remembered from when I was a kid) to his horse, Trigger :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Secret in their Eyes (2009-Argentina-Spain) **½

Thoughtful, but muddled thriller won the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, but it's hard to imagine a mainstream Hollywood product getting away with so many unconvincing elements.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

GI Joe - Retaliation: 3/5

Cheesy but fun action film with The Rock and a President stand-in/double plot that seems like a rip off of one of the Naked Guns :P - Jonathan Pryce hams it up, the Storm Shadow character was pretty cool :D I actually rather enjoyed it and a busty Adrianne Palicki provides decent eye candy :D
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Enter the Void (2009) - 4/5

Too long and trying, but technically very impressive and a unique experience that everyone should have at least once. You will when you die anyway ;)

On the Silver Globe (1977/1987) - 4.5/5

Incomprehensible in parts due to it being unfinished, but what's there is just excellent and it would have been a masterpiece had the Polish government not stepped in. The costumes are stunning! As well as being gutted about the film being incomplete, I also feel very sorry for Zulawski :( I shall look forward to the Mondo Vision release whenever the hell that will be.

Ghost Rider (2007) - 1.5/5

I knew it would be bad - it was bad. If Nic Cage hadn't starred in it, it'd have been even worse.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The one image from Ghost Rider that really impressed me was the horse rider in flames galloping thru the night. That was pretty cool.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

For a Good Time, Call... (2012-USA) *½

If the aim of this movie was to prove that women can be every bit as vulgar and profane as men... congratulations.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Disappearance of Alice Creed (2009-UK) **½

Kidnap thriller is quite well done, but the material is inherently unpleasant.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

When A Stranger Calls 2.5/5 Superb opening 20 minutes or so but then this late 70's thriller settles into standard fare until livening up again for the climax. Tony Beckley in his final role is decent as the psycho and Charles Durning as the ex-cop turned private eye is always watchable. Logic is askew though would Carol Kane after her experience really years later leave her kids in the care of a babysitter must say this cheap as chips usa BD has a very very impressive transfer for a low budget effort like this.

Happy Birthday To Me 1.5/5 Lame & overlong 80's slasher...boring.Again a nice transfer on a cheap as chips usa double feature BD.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

The Third Part of the Night (1971) - 4/5

It's quite strange how Possession mirrors this film in many ways, I like the way Zulawski seems to put himself in his films so often.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The Jazz Singer (1927) (Blu Ray): 3/5

An interesting curio... I'm not sure what the first full talkie was - this may have been the first Hollywood film with synchronised sound making it the first "talkie" officially but in fact there are only 2 scenes with any dialogue, its pratically a silent film otherwise.
Generally a good performance by Al Jolson playing a man torn between duty to his parents (and his Jewish roots) and his new life as a jazz performer in the theatre. However, the blackface stuff is just wrong. :o
Last edited by grim_tales on 08 Apr 2013, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Unfortunately racism wasn't uncommon in old movies. Sometimes it was obvious (as per The Jazz Singer), sometimes oblivious (like the de rigueur casting of blacks as cheery servants). It's hard to stomach now, but I think in order to enjoy these movies you have to accept that the culture was what was and thankfully isn't the same now (although so many blacks in the current media stereotype themselves in a different way).
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Indeed. I realise it was a product of it's time and cutting it out (I'm not suggesting that) would have been wrong as well, I just felt a bit uneasy. Like when he sings to his mum at the end, that's very personal and he 'can' sing - is dressing and putting on a voice like a minstrel necessary (when repeating a verse)? No it's not, I guess audiences found it funny. :?
Sadly the short 'Al Jolson in a plantation Act' (1926?) is even worse, its a shame as the OTT gestures sometimes put me off, when I was watching I found I could recognise some of the songs that had been used in WB cartoons etc, after it was made.
That is also a 'talkie' but just a short - Jolson sings a bit and does the same "Wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet!" speech as in The Jazz Singer.