What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out

Post by IronMonkey »

Keung wrote:Arnold doubles are easily spotted, because really, who the fuck else looks like him?
Every other T-800 off the Skynet production line? :D
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Scarface (1983-USA) **

Brian DePalma's lavish, grandiose gangster epic: A condemnation of capitalist excess and greed (courtesy screenwriter Oliver Stone). I'm still not crazy about it, though I accept its merits as filmmaking. The BD doc reveals that the film is a 'phenomenon' among people who don't really understand what the film is actually about and view Pacino's grotesque as some kind of cult anti-hero! Also worth mentioning is that the BD contains the original stereo audio so you don't have to suffer the offensive remix.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

@ Keung & IronMonkey: :D

@ Mark: I like "that" remix but then you knew I'd say that :D.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I wrote this on 13th of June for Artrocker magazine and it looks like I forgot to post it. I rushed this one a little and am not entirely happy with how it flows, as usual this is the unabridged version prior to the Reviews Editor shortens it.

Annoyingly the magazine is nearly a month late and still hasn't been published (some problems with a suitable cover image):
King of New York: 3 out of 5

It is 1990 and Frank White (Christopher Walken) has just been released from prison, intend on going straight he sets about reacquainting himself with his old gang pals, this in order to come up with the funds to help the children of a local New York city hospital.

Enter one Jimmy Jump (Laurence Fishburne, known back then as Larry) and his hip-hop buddies. Jimmy is your typical gang type; he’s into rap, is all mouth and quick with the trigger.

Being an Abel Ferrara picture, we’re on the usual territory of the seedier side of American life and Christopher Walken is in on top form to provide us with a gangland leader. The trouble is it’s all been seen before, the two handed gun fights (of which there are many) are clearly inspired by the work of John Woo (The Killer) and the subject of a mob boss is handled much more effectively in Martin Scorsese’s Goodfellas (released the same year).

This is a shame because the central theme is a good one, it is a pity a little more effort wasn’t made to give the film the same level of integrity the aforementioned movies were given.

The central subject of Frank going straight is quickly forgotten, replaced with a gratuitous level of drug taking and topless women displayed simply as sex objects gets weary rather quickly. Even the only female character of any measure, Frank’s lawyer girlfriend, is shown being groped by Frank breasts for all to see, the camera showing this in all its tacky glory.

Christopher Walken puts in a good performance, as does Laurence Fishburne, even if it has to be said neither are stretching themselves much playing a mobster and henchmen respectively.

As a mood piece Abel Ferrera displays the late 1980s/early 1990s New York City underbelly of crime, prostitution and corruption well and the score at times is rather effective. Much of New York City today has cleaned up its act; the city on display is almost unrecognisable.

King of New York moves along nicely and if you’re into your gun toting crime drama you’ll get something from this. Abel Ferrara would later go on to refine his techniques 2 years later for Bad Lieutenant and for that, this reviewer is grateful for King of New York. It’s just a shame this couldn’t have been better.

The Arrow Films Blu-ray presentation is of the usual high standard.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

And now for a review I am much happier with (no idea when it's actually gonna be published though):
The Devils: 5 out of 5

In 1971 filmmaker Ken Russell released arguably his most controversial film, The Devils, loosely based on real life events depicted in the 1952 book The Devils of Loudun by Aldous Huxley.

It is 1634 France and promiscuous Catholic priest Urbain Grandier (Oliver Reed) is embroiled in a feud with Cardinal Richelieu (Christopher Logue) over the city of Loudun and tearing down its walls. Unbeknownst to Grandier, Mother Superior Sister Jeanne (Vanessa Redgrave) and the rest of the convent have become sexually obsessed with the man, accusing Grandier of carnal possession. This gives Richelieu the perfect excuse to strike and before Grandier knows it, he is arrest and facing trial for witchcraft, heresy, and possession.

In the 41 years since The Devils release it has lost none of its controversy and power to shock, frequent scenes of violent, sexual and religious content are displayed for the viewer to gorge upon. One such scene portrays Sister Jeanne hallucinating Grandier is Jesus Christ being crucified on the cross, along with crown of thorns and hands of stigmata.

Not for the faint hearted; forced enemas, torture, nuns masturbating and writhing around naked in great numbers are amongst the films more outrageous scenes. None are gratuitous however and show in detail the lengths of depravity that was normal for 17th century torture and trials. Russell even says himself: “it’s all in the book, read the book”.

All the cast are brilliant; Oliver Reed in particular is magnificent. The photography is exceptional throughout, as are the sets of Loudun and the inner walls of the convent.

Still banned in many countries, this DVD release features the longest version Warner Bros. would allow, the original British X rated cut (now 18). Sadly The British Film Institute were not granted permission to release the 2004 extended cut, featuring the infamous “Rape of Christ” sequence nor issue the film on Blu-ray. Don’t let either of those omissions put you off, The Devils is quite simply a masterpiece of filmmaking and late director Ken Russell’s best work.

Clearly a project of passion, The BFI has given this DVD release an excellent (mono) audio and video presentation, the included lengthy 42 page book and 48 minute “Hell on Earth” documentary are also well worth exploring.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

bradavon wrote:
Markgway wrote:How could you NOT notice? :lol:
See you say that but you guys are in the minority for noticing, millions of people watch movies, only a handful notice. So I ask "How COULD you notice?" ;) (being deliberately flippant, no need to actually answer that one).

Besides, like I said, I tend to be watching the movie/getting into the story instead of concentrating on spotting stunt doubles. Maybe if I tried to spot them I would, who knows. Freeze frames don't really prove much because well they're "freeze" frames.
give it up Brad
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Awake (2007-USA) ***

Quietly effective medical thriller. The premise is truly scary (imagine being awake during a heart transplant) and there are enough interesting plot turns and reveals to keep viewer involved. Jessica Alba is thoroughly gorgeous throughout.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Replicant (2001-USA) **½

Above average action thriller doesn't quite hit the target but with its mix of sci-fi and horror elements proves far more interesting than the vast majority of DTV product. In fact this was made for theatrical release and should have got one. Van Damme gives two good performances and shows just why he's leagues ahead of Seagal in the acting stakes.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959-UK) **

Pedestian Hammer chiller; too mild, theatrical and hammy.

The Skull (1965-UK) **

Amicus chiller; Good direction struggles against weak, inconsistant plot.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

The Entity 3/5 Well done 80's paranormal thriller showcasing a fine Barbara Hershey performance as Carla Moran who purportedly suffered a string of sexual assaults from an unseen force.a little overlong but decent.
working class blu-ray fan
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - 5/5

For the first half hour I wasn't sure..., but then it got really fucking good, and the final act ended up blowing me away.

P.S. Bane's voice has definitely been re-dubbed.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Your punishment must be more severe!
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Jackie Brown (1997-USA) ***

Tarantino's second best film.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The Amazing Spiderman: 4.25/5
I really enjoyed it - Peter seemed slightly arrogant, more emo, even badass compared to the 2002 Spiderman and more of a wisecracker (especially when he first starts using his powers) and is even funnier, we see more closely his relationship with Ben and May and how his father not being around has affected him. Essentially the story is Spiderman Begins, so on one level I question the need to tell his origins again, but the dark(er) style worked and the emotional content was better realised than Raimi's first film which was still very good but lighter.
Gwen Stacy was good, she had good chemistry with Peter, and The Lizard was a good villain.
I wasnt sure if he turned fully back into Connors though, I dont think he does :?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Another 48 Hrs. (1990-USA) **½

OK sequel. Works better as an action movie than as a comedy.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Markgway wrote:Another 48 Hrs. (1990-USA) **½

OK sequel. Works better as an action movie than as a comedy.
I had that on in the background for a few minutes and heard the music from Commando!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

gasteropod wrote:I had that on in the background for a few minutes and heard the music from Commando!
Actually that music is from the original 48 Hrs. and was later recycled for Commando.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Big Picture (1988-USA) **

Mild Hollywood satire; may work best if you're a fan of Christopher Guest's oeuvre.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Don't Torture a Duckling (1972-Italy)

Gave up on this boring murder mystery....
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Law Abiding Citizen 2.5/5 Far fetched but entertaining thriller.

Ted 3/5 New comedy from the Family Guy creator is pretty funny but a little overlong and loses it's way a little towards the end.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Shining (1980-UK-USA) **

I still don't rate this.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Woman in Black (2011-UK-Canada-Sweden) **

A handful of spooky moments in this gothic horror, but I felt like I'd see it all before. The final scene also doesn't make sense. If the WIB has been reunited with her dead son why attack the man who helped her?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Markgway wrote:The Woman in Black (2011-UK-Canada-Sweden) **

A handful of spooky moments in this gothic horror, but I felt like I'd see it all before.
Exactly my thoughts.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Bean (1997-UK) *½

Terrible excuse for a comedy.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Markgway wrote:Bean (1997-UK) *½

Terrible excuse for a comedy.
But The Shining was only half a star better than it :D
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)