What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out

Post by Marshall »

Markgway wrote:Alice, Sweet, Alice aka Communion (1976-USA) **

Competantly directed and acted horror mixes the religious and evil child sub-genres but the plot doesn't make a lick of sense.
Not to be combative, but it made sense to me. Also has a terrific score and the actress playing the title character is amazing, IMO.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Heka wrote: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (USA, 2011) – 2/5
Funnily enough I also ended up watching this movie not because I wanted to, but because a girl wanted to see it. I've never seen the three movies that precede this “masterpiece” nor have I ever liked Tom Cruise. So it's clear I wasn't expecting anything out of this movie, but it wasn't completely worthless. If one disregards the fact that a Swedish nuclear terrorist is about as ridiculous as casting the god awful Samuli Edelmann as a scary henchman you're left with a movie that's enjoyable enough when watching it with friends, but I think at least I wouldn't enjoy watching it silently in a movie theater.
whaat, Samuli is always cool! And Swedish nuclear terrorist is something that even 1970's Toei executives would've been proud of.

Fun movie, except for... what was it? Terrible opening credits and some awful CGI at least. 3/5
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Marshall wrote:Not to be combative, but it made sense to me.
Crazy old religious crank loses her own child and then sacrifices another (Brooke Shields) because her parents were sinners. Did you find that credible? Also why did she dress up like the other daughter and try to kill the girl's aunt - who had nothing to do with anything? It really makes little sense IMO.
Also has a terrific score and the actress playing the title character is amazing, IMO.
Paula Sheppard was actually 19 playing 12!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

brooce-leroy wrote:
grim_tales wrote:good but seemed a bit stiff at first for me :)

:o :o :o
:lol:
HungFist wrote:edit: http://youtu.be/dJxj1mou03M ( :lol: at Michael Bay)
(thanks Heka)
:lol:
HungFist wrote:Fun movie, except for... what was it? Terrible opening credits and some awful CGI at least. 3/5
The opening credits was one of the best parts - though I wish they'd used the original orchestration for the signature theme.
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

Markgway wrote:Beverly Hills Cop (1984-USA) ***

Murphy's best film?
Possibly.... Coming To America or Trading Places are right up there too though. :rock:
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

HungFist wrote:
Heka wrote: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (USA, 2011) – 2/5
Funnily enough I also ended up watching this movie not because I wanted to, but because a girl wanted to see it. I've never seen the three movies that precede this “masterpiece” nor have I ever liked Tom Cruise. So it's clear I wasn't expecting anything out of this movie, but it wasn't completely worthless. If one disregards the fact that a Swedish nuclear terrorist is about as ridiculous as casting the god awful Samuli Edelmann as a scary henchman you're left with a movie that's enjoyable enough when watching it with friends, but I think at least I wouldn't enjoy watching it silently in a movie theater.
whaat, Samuli is always cool! And Swedish nuclear terrorist is something that even 1970's Toei executives would've been proud of.

Fun movie, except for... what was it? Terrible opening credits and some awful CGI at least. 3/5

Mi4 is awesome - loved it on IMAX!

The opening credits, I believe, is a homage to the original TV show, which gives you a glimpse of what is to happen in the episode (so I've heard as I can't remember although I used to watch it as a kid).
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Opinions on the Dirty Harry series?

I was watching Magnum Force last night and while not a classic like the first, it's a really fun sequel :cool:

Dirty Harry 10/10
Magnum Force 7.5/10
...? ;)
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

I like the Dirty Harry movies but they pretty consistently drop off in quality as the movies goes on.The First two are great,Enforcer is decent, Sudden Impact just ok and Dead Pool a weak end to the series.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Street Knight (1992-USA) **

Dopey, barely adequate B-movie actioner.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

saltysam wrote:I like the Dirty Harry movies but they pretty consistently drop off in quality as the movies goes on.The First two are great,Enforcer is decent, Sudden Impact just ok and Dead Pool a weak end to the series.
Thanks, appreciate that. The Dead Pool trailer is mad though, such funny/cool cast!
Heka
Jade Tiger

Post by Heka »

HungFist wrote:Fun movie, except for... what was it? Terrible opening credits and some awful CGI at least. 3/5
Unfortunately the movie doesn't come packaged with friends and a beautiful girl. If that were the case I'd surely give it more than 2/5. The atmosphere where I watched the film was fun, not the movie itself.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Dirty Harry >> Magnum Force >> Sudden Impact >> The Enforcer >> The Dead Pool
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Hour of the Wolf (1968) - 4/5

Creepy and nightmarish.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Markgway wrote:Dirty Harry >> Magnum Force >> Sudden Impact >> The Enforcer >> The Dead Pool
Do you own the set? I'm renting the blurays but thinking I might just buy the first 2 parts
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

luckystars wrote:Do you own the set? I'm renting the blurays but thinking I might just buy the first 2 parts
I did. But only kept the first two. Sold the others.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Avengers Assemble: 4.25/5

I actually really enjoyed it, even though it was slightly longer than it needed to be. Some of the set pieces were great and I loved the wisecracks and deadpan humour in the script :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Papillon (1973-USA-France) **

Blimey was this grim... and VERY long.
Springs to life every now and then... but the last half hour is awful.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Deadly Sweet (1967) - 1.5/5

Someone on a forum recommended it as a great giallo, it's not, it's a waste of time, and not really a giallo.

What Have They Done to Your Daughters? (1974) - 3.5/5

This was a good giallo, great soundtrack that was used again in 'Amer'.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Hitman (1991-USA-Canada) ***

Chuck's last good movie. He's more ruthless than usual in this undercover-gangster-revenge film.

Blue Tiger (1994-USA-Japan) **½

Virginia Madsen takes on the Yakuza. Not bad B-movie thriller.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Monty Python and the Holy Grail: 5/5

:notworthy: Comedy classic. Shame about the ending though (it looks like the team ran out of money).
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:Monty Python and the Holy Grail: 5/5

:notworthy: Comedy classic. Shame about the ending though (it looks like the team ran out of money).
They didn't know how to end it... but the absurdity works IMO.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:Avengers Assemble: 4.25/5: I actually really enjoyed it, even though it was slightly longer than it needed to be. Some of the set pieces were great and I loved the wisecracks and deadpan humour in the script :D
It's really good isn't it. I'll be getting the blu-ray, that's not something I've been able to say of many superhero films of late.
grim_tales wrote:Monty Python and the Holy Grail: 5/5: :notworthy: Comedy classic. Shame about the ending though (it looks like the team ran out of money).
It's allright. I think I smiled twice and laughed once.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The UK blu-ray is decent quality, the extras are just a selection of interviews for each actor (annoyingly identical questions are asked of each actor, so you get to hear the plot explained 4 times) plus a trailer. I believe it's out in June:
Carnage: 4 out of 5

Penelope and Michael Longstreet (Jodie Foster, John C. Reilly), Nancy and Alan Cowan (Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz) meet at the Longstreet’s Brooklyn home to discuss their 11 year old son hitting the Cowan’s boy with a stick, breaking two of his teeth in the process.

This simple premise sets up the film, two middle class families at first doing their best to be politically correct and no matter what, polite at all times. It is not long before their true colours show and mayhem ensues.

Based on the award winning French play “God of Carnage”, Director Roman Polanksi (China Town, The Pianist) again does not disappoint with this little gem of a movie, running a nimble 80 minutes the pace moves along nicely and the script is razor sharp.

The decision to set Carnage almost entirely in the four walls of Penelope and Michael’s apartment works rather well indeed. The viewer is invited to be a fly on the wall, waiting for the veneer of middle class politeness to breakdown.

As the story unravels we are on the edge of our seat... “any minute, any minute” one of them is going to snap and when they finally do, hilarity ensues.

One particularly memorable scene involves Nancy literally vomiting mid-air, all over Penelope’s precious coffee-table art books.

The brilliantly written characters (the only actors to appear on-screen) of Jodie Foster’s neurotic liberal author of books on Darfur, John C. Reilly’s “doesn’t give a damn” attitude kitchenware salesman, Kate Winslet’s cold and edgy investment broker, and Christoph Waltz’s brutally ruthless corporation lawyer play wonderfully off one another, each relishing the opportunity to nitpick at the other’s faults and foibles.

The acting is universally excellent and it is clear, all four actors are thoroughly enjoying every minute.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Stunt Man (1979-USA) *½

An egocentric director tries to make what looks like the worst war film ever made. Peculiar satire on the movie biz is a total turkey (though some critics liked it).
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Gone Baby Gone 4.5/5

Young girl goes missing in Boston. Casey Affleck and his girlfriend get hired by the family to investigate the matter in a neighbourhood which isn't too fond of talking to the cops.

Casey Affleck is outstanding, as is the rest of the cast, and Ben Afflecks directing is spot-on in all departments. Fantastic movie, yet perhaps a bit too low-key to become an instant classic.

4.5/5
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...