What asian film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What asian film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Post by HungFist »

Piranha Corps (ピラニア軍団 ダボシャツの天) (Japan, 1977) [DVD] - 2/5
The third and final mid 70s Takuzo Kawatani vehicle, unrelated to the two Ossan of Kawachi films. Kawatani is a small time Osaka thug hanging out with his scarred aniki Isao Natsuyagi. There's a wonderfully pathetic fight at the end with Kawatani and fellow piranha X just scratching each other's faces and crying their eyes out, but other than that there's not much truly outrageous stuff in the film, nor as much piranhas as the title would have you expect. The film is neither very funny nor violent, which was perhaps to be expected from director Kosaku Yamashita. In the 60s his name served as automatic recommendation for any film he made. In the 70s he somehow lost his touch, perhaps not keen on the modern yakuza mayhem, and his films became lifeless. Note: this was a standalone film with no follow-ups. The other Piranha Corps film listed by Chris D. and IMDb does not exist.

Violent Money Network (暴力金脈) (Japan, 1975) [DVD] - 3/5
If you ever wondered what a capitalist corporate & society satire would look like as a Toei jitsuroku yakuza film, here it is. Hiroki Matsukata stars as boxer turned small time thug who makes a living by marching into company offices and starting trouble until they pay him to leave, or he gets paid by a third party who has hired him to make trouble. Scriptwriter Kazuo Kasahara based the character on a man called Kaoru Ogawa whom he interviewed while doing research for Battles without Honor and Humanity. This is quite a different type of film though the cast, crew (Fukasaku was originally set to direct before being replaced by Sadao Nakajima) and the underlying mentality are largely the same. Also, there's no explicit violence or sex until Reiko Ike walks into the picture around the 50 minute mark in one of her better drama roles. The lack of violent mayhem makes this a smaller picture than some of its contemporaries, but the Nakajima - Matsukata pairing produces energetic results, and there are nice supporting turns by Takuzo Kawatani (thug) and Tomisaburo Wakayama (Ike's sugar daddy), among others. Also features an extremely funny cat killing scene.

Image Image
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Death Duel of Mantis (1978)

Unremarkable but fun Taiwanese flick, with some decent fights and a good performance from Lung Fei as the villian. Nothing really makes it stand out from the crowd, but you could do a lot worse

6/10
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

chazgower01 wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 13:04 Dragon Fist (1978, Hong Kong)
But hkmdb lists two directors (the other is Lee Jeong-Ho), Jackie was the Action Director, and according to Jackie, Lo Wei wasn't even speaking to him by this point, so...
This is the kind of movie that could really use a Bey Logan commentary!

Lee Jeong-Ho is presumably the director credited on the Korean prints, but that could very well be bogus; he may or may not have worked on the movie.

Dragon Fist was made in Korea, but both sides massaged their credits to minimise the other's involvement.

The Koreans had to do this to ensure the film was recognised as a co-production and thus dodge the country's foreign release quota.

The Chinese side just wanted everyone to sound Chinese, hence the Korean actors and crew are billed with Chinese names.

Some of these mooted co-productions are fake, some are genuine.

Given this was definitely filmed in Korea - Jackie did a whole bunch of these back-to-back - I think we can fairly list this one as a co-production.
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

Markgway wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 23:29
chazgower01 wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 13:04 Dragon Fist (1978, Hong Kong)
But hkmdb lists two directors (the other is Lee Jeong-Ho), Jackie was the Action Director, and according to Jackie, Lo Wei wasn't even speaking to him by this point, so...
This is the kind of movie that could really use a Bey Logan commentary!

Lee Jeong-Ho is presumably the director credited on the Korean prints, but that could very well be bogus; he may or may not have worked on the movie.

Dragon Fist was made in Korea, but both sides massaged their credits to minimise the other's involvement.

The Koreans had to do this to ensure the film was recognised as a co-production and thus dodge the country's foreign release quota.

The Chinese side just wanted everyone to sound Chinese, hence the Korean actors and crew are billed with Chinese names.

Some of these mooted co-productions are fake, some are genuine.

Given this was definitely filmed in Korea - Jackie did a whole bunch of these back-to-back - I think we can fairly list this one as a co-production.
That's what I love about this site - some of you guys know so much about the behind the scenes details... I would love to find a book that really goes behind the scenes and talks at length about the HK movie business during this time period... heck Jackie Chan never once mentioned James Tien or Dean Shek in his I Am Jackie book and he did multiple films with those guys. Would love to hear about the interactions and behind the scenes of that era....
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

HungFist wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 14:33
Violent Money Network (暴力金脈) (Japan, 1975) [DVD] - 3/5
If you ever wondered what a capitalist corporate & society satire would look like as a Toei jitsuroku yakuza film, here it is. Hiroki Matsukata stars as boxer turned small time thug who makes a living by marching into company offices and starting trouble until they pay him to leave, or he gets paid by a third party who has hired him to make trouble. Scriptwriter Kazuo Kasahara based the character on a man called Kaoru Ogawa whom he interviewed while doing research for Battles without Honor and Humanity. This is quite a different type of film though the cast, crew (Fukasaku was originally set to direct before being replaced by Sadao Nakajima) and the underlying mentality are largely the same. Also, there's no explicit violence or sex until Reiko Ike walks into the picture around the 50 minute mark in one of her better drama roles. The lack of violent mayhem makes this a smaller picture than some of its contemporaries, but the Nakajima - Matsukata pairing produces energetic results, and there are nice supporting turns by Takuzo Kawatani (thug) and Tomisaburo Wakayama (Ike's sugar daddy), among others. Also features an extremely funny cat killing scene.
I want this of course.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The I Am Jackie book was very good, but I remember I got the feeling Jackie didnt write much of the book himself, maybe the co writer mostly wrote it with contributions from Jackie here and there :dontknow:
I did enjoy the book though :D
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Yes, it's very much a work of fiction, not least in how it glosses over the awkwardness of his shotgun wedding.
bradavon wrote:
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

Ivan Drago wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 08:35 Yes, it's very much a work of fiction, not least in how it glosses over the awkwardness of his shotgun wedding.
Ahhhh! See! I want to know more!
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

Young Master (1980, Hong Kong) Amazon Prime Dubbed 3.5/5
Jackie's first foray into complete control of his own movie (for his Golden Harvest debut) is a bit uneven and from what I understand, had to be cut down considerably to become an hour and 45 minute film. Despite that, there are plenty of memorable scenes here and excellent Kung Fu throughout.
Seeing Yuen Biao in his first real film role (with Jackie anyway...and sparring with Jackie!) is great - the lion dance competition at the beginning - Jackie's 'shower' scene and subsequent battle with sword wielding Sek Kin and then his daughter Lily Li - the wide angle mostly stationary shot finale vs Whang In-Sik (one of his best!) - and more. Plenty more.
It only did a little over HK $1 Million at the box office, but the potential that's seen here is just unlimited (had there ever been anything like the skirt fight?) and of course we all know that potential came to full bloom.
There's drama, comedy, action, and great fights. It even had a proper ending! I know we'll never see it but, I'd watch a three hour uncut version of this if it existed!
Under rated.

Last edited by chazgower01 on 22 Aug 2018, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

I'm always baffled by Young Master only getting a million dollars in HK. It's reported on several lists, but it seems so odd - alleged flop Dragon Lord grossed 17 million!
bradavon wrote:
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

Battle Creek Brawl aka The Big Brawl (1980, USA) Amazon Prime 2/5
Trying to escape the triads and the hold of Lo Wei, Golden Harvest brokered a deal for Jackie to make an American movie with Warner Brothers in the U.S. (while Jimmy Wang Yu mediated on Jackie's behalf back home!)
It's strange... this IS a Jackie Chan movie, he's featured prominently - the second scene shows off his death-defying stunt skills, the third scene his unique movie fighting style and the fourth his physical training skills. But all of them lack the pizzaz of his own Hong Kong production, and it just sort of plods along in an uninspired way.
He's not sparring with Chinese stuntmen here, but rather American actors and big brawling wrestler types - it slows down the action, and slows down Jackie. Who could've really filmed Jackie in 1980 and gotten the most out of his style? I'm not sure what Jackie's talking about when he says he was allowed no input on the fight scenes - these are clearly his moves and fight choreography - he just wasn't allowed to block and actually FILM the scenes. As such, they are a bit bland comparatively.
Jackie learned to roller skate AND speak English for this role, and even though his skill on wheels is immediately evident (which he'd later use on Winners and Sinners), his English here isn't as bad as I'd read about - especially considering he knew nothing less than a month before filming. (Jackie used phonetic cue cards for most of it).
He has an interesting start to a love scene with his co-star Kristine DeBelle (Meatballs, Bloodbrothers), considering Jackie's aversion to them, that's interrupted by his Uncle, and it's kind of cool how the relationship is never played as interracial or different, just accepted as is.
There's a lot here that's well-meaning toward Jackie - this was a film that really was made to feature him and all that he does well - it even has some of his comedy (the training leading up to the brawl) - it just doesn't have the kinetic energy of a Hong Kong production. Jackie's ego would never let him see it that way - his clash with director Richard Clouse (of Enter the Dragon fame) is well documented - but the studio really WAS trying to make an American Jackie Chan movie.
BUT, they still didn't understand Jackie - watch the scene where Mako and Jackie go to break into the bad guys mansion at night - if you ever truly want to see Jackie Chan imitate Bruce Lee, this is it. And you know he wasn't hip to that.
And for as flat as it was, it still did HK $5 Million at the box office (which is a hit) but only $8 Million at the U.S. box office, which is NOT! It ranked #68 out of all U.S. film releases in 1980, but that was still better than Jodie Foster's 'Foxes' ($7.4 Million), but not as good as Farrah Fawcett's Saturn 3 (at $9 Million)!
NOTE: Set in the 1930's, Jackie would 9 years later do his own take on gangsters in the 30's - CHINESE gangsters - in Miracles (aka Mr. Canton and Lady Rose).

Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

I find Jackie's English in Battle Creek Crawl better then in The Protector - where he struggles with tongue twisters like "Listen you creep, it's not the money we want...it's your ass!"
bradavon wrote:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

"Give me da fuckin' keeeyz!"
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

I remember Jackie promoting this on Tiswas back in the early 80's..in the interview here it's stated it's a hit in America... Sally James was fooking hot :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JXKCoxdWDg
working class blu-ray fan
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

Cannonball Run (1980, USA) Haiuken.com 1.5/5
I thought I was off the hook. BUY Cannonball Run to review? I don't think so... wait a minute... it's on the Korean site haiuken? Dang it. Burt Reynolds and Dom Deluise with Chinese dubbing can't be too bad can it?
As a child of the 70's, I saw all kinds of people I remember... Jimmy 'The Greek', Bianca Jagger (man oh man was she beautiful), Jamie Farr as an Arab, Farrah Fawcett (noticeably braless throughout), Dean Martin, Sammie Davis Jr., Roger Moore... lots of attractive women with feathered hair...

Jackie and Chinese comedian Michael Hui play Japanese (what???) race car drivers, with, of course, a specialized Japanese computer car. Jackie has one quick fight, about an hour and 20 minutes into the movie (Peter Fonda is dispatched of pretty quickly, twice!), and he accidentally rips his pants open at the end of it. Hardy har har. The whole thing totals about 30 seconds.
Adjusted for inflation, it's still his 2nd highest grossing live action American box office movie.
For the most completeist of Jackie Chan completists only.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Ivan Drago wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 18:19 I find Jackie's English in Battle Creek Crawl better then in The Protector - where he struggles with tongue twisters like "Listen you creep, it's not the money we want...it's your ass!"
The difference is that in 'Brawl' Jackie was speaking his dialogue phonetically, whereas in subsequent films he wasn't.

It's an odd phenomenon that the more he understood his dialogue, the worse he pronounced it.

That's because he wasn't concentrating on the syllables, as you would with phonetics, but the words as a whole, as you would if you were having a normal conversation.
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

My Amy Yip book got a 2 stars out of 5 review on Eastern Kicks website!
It's definitely a fan piece - so he very much gets the jist of the book... lol
Love their website...

https://www.easternkicks.com/reviews/th ... of-amy-yip

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Obviously I haven't read your book myself, but any review that invokes #metoo automatically loses my sympathy.

If you want to spend a chapter pouring over Amy's nip slip that's your prerogative, and you shouldn't be publicly shamed for it.
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

Markgway wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 06:24 Obviously I haven't read your book myself, but any review that invokes #metoo automatically loses my sympathy.

If you want to spend a chapter pouring over Amy's nip slip that's your prerogative, and you shouldn't be publicly shamed for it.
Especially since her whole career was essentially spent with a good deal of Southeast Asia obsessed with it happening! Yeah, how could I ignore what is pretty much her legacy as a media figure?

I have a great deal of sympathy for any victim of sexism, discrimination, violence, etc. - and the Hong Kong Film industry is no champion of women in any traditional sense... But Amy Yip was an early example within that world of someone who specifically chose to use her sexuality (specifically her large breasts) as a way of getting noticed and becoming a star - in a film industry there where most Chinese women just didn’t. That very quickly changed partly because of Amy...

I think he missed me talking about the other things that I believed made Amy a star - I don’t believe there’s anywhere that I’ve read where her ability to actually act is discussed in a positive way - and I certainly give her credit throughout for what I saw was an over looked part of her career.

Ultimately I just appreciate the advertisement of it - Amy Yip fans know the score - so a reviewer feeling hesitant to appreciate an actresses ‘ample assests’ - whose whole career was based around those ‘ample assests’ - hey, I understand the fear - but no, I don’t agree with it either.

I didn’t create that world - just reported what I saw!

Love their website - great source of info on Asian movies, new and old.
Last edited by chazgower01 on 25 Aug 2018, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

Dragon Lord (1982, Hong Kong) DVD 2.5/5
After Lo Wei, the triads, and an uncomfortable and disappointing year plus in America, it's no wonder Jackie came back and put together an uneven and somewhat critically disappointing film. Despite all of that, Chinese audiences flocked to it and made it Jackie's biggest in-country hit yet at HK $17 Million!
If you're looking for Kung Fu, you may as well just fast forward to the finale (actually to about the one hour mark), seriously, which is a great deal why this movie isn't as popular with most Jackie fans (and martial arts fans in general). But if you can overlook that, there are some interesting and sometimes cool things to this movie, that makes it not as bad as some might see it.
For one thing, it's kinda strange to see Mars as a real co-star - this is his movie almost as much as Jackie's and they explore the friendship of the two main characters throughout. And his part in the finale fight? Wow - he can take a beating!
Some of the stunts come off as more dangerous than usual - maybe because they're closer to the ground, I don't know - but watching Jackie climb a building via rope and then goof around along the edge's, before having spears thrust through the shingles at him, before falling and hanging from the edge... and the stuff he does in the finale - man, HE can sure take a beating.
Also, Jackie explore's romance a little more than usual at the beginning of the movie as him and Mars try and woo the same girl (Suet Lee) - and it revisits the theme throughout - it's a bit different than what we're used to for one of his movies...
The humor seems more natural too and even though it's still a bit goofy, it's not ALL about the comedy. It has it's place.
And sports! We see Jackie playing sports - some type of Australian rules football/rugby and then shuttlecock... never expected that.
For the fights we DO see - they are fast and furious and better timed than ever. Jackie and crew have their moves down near perfect. And Whang In-Shik, again as the bad guy is really explosive. We wait a long time to see it, but when the finale comes, they let loose. There's no more 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 in these fights - it's 1,2,3,4 - quick and more realistic looking. Jackie truly is perfecting his craft here.
If the stories about the endless hours and crazy retakes is true, Jackie wanted it to obviously be as perfect as possible. If it sounds like I'm defending this movie, well, I guess I am a little bit... it's not all that great of a movie, but it IS seeing the work of an artist just before he creates a masterpiece... which is kinda cool in it's own way.

ImageImage
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Proof that Jackie's autobio should be taken with a lot of sodium chloride as it claims Dragon Lord was a big flop.
bradavon wrote:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i've never seen Dragon Lord despite having the HKL since release .. i need to rectify that.
working class blu-ray fan
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

The sound on the HKL release was awful. Someone made me a DVD-R years ago with a proper mono track synced to it and it sounded far superior.
bradavon wrote:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Best version is the Japanese Blu-ray (theatrical print).

HD, original mono.

Just add fan subs. :)
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

Millionaire’s Express (aka Shaghai Express) (1986, Hong Kong) Amazon Prime 3/5
This movie is like a Who’s Who of Hong Kong Action Stars from the 70’s and 80’s!
Starting off with Sammo in his boxer’s shorts for the first 10 minutes (ugh), and then explaining that a train is going to be robbed (in a scene featuring James Tien, Corey Yuen, Lee Man-Tai) it then features a classic HK stunt as Yuen Biao flips off a two-story burning building - landing on the ground - jumps up and goes to the side of a girl he’d just saved - all in one stationary camera shot! (Reportedly he broke his leg doing this stunt).
It’s a pretty amazing sequence.
But make no mistake - this is more of a Lucky Stars type of comedy than an action movie for most of the first hour and 20 minutes.
We see Lam Ching-Ying, Eric Tsang, Kenny Bee, Sek Kin and Jimmy Wang Yu...Oshima Yukari, Rosamund Kwan, Richard Norton, Cynthia Rothrock, Richard Ng… and plenty more!
It's fun in that regard, and we do get some sporadic bouts (Sammo and Biao have a short scrap) and a stunt here and there, but... honestly, with all that talent, I kept waiting, and waiting, and waiting, for things to kick into high gear. When they do, in the movie's final 15 minutes, we get some pretty entertaining bouts (including a showdown between Sammo and Cynthia Rothrock), it just seems to take so long to get there.
The fights are good - this is 'Dragons Forever' era Sammo putting this together, I just wish there'd have been more of it. But I still feel I'll like this movie better upon repeated viewings.