What asian film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What asian film/series have you just seen.. marks out of

Post by gasteropod »

Dogra Magra (1988) - 4/5

A study of insanity by the director of Funeral Parade of Roses, this totally needs releasing by Masters of Cinema, or anyone at all to be honest.

luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Choy Lee Fut 4.5/10
It's not a particularly bad film, but it certainly doesn't aim higher than simple entertainment with some fairly decent martial arts scenes and a 'soapy' love story. Would've got a bit higher a mark but the ending was a bit disappointing after an 'ok' build up. The good side of this (for regular B-Movie Sammno fans) is it does the usual job of promoting the Martial Arts and healthy lifestyle, which is not to be knocked. Sammy Hung is the lead star here so Sammo's not in it that much, although Sammo vs Yuen Wah is a nice thing to see...just don't expect too much of it. And the Dennis To cameo is nice.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

gasteropod wrote:Green Snake: Visually wonderful, but suffers from the usual Chinese melodrama and some laughable effects. Joey Wang and Maggie Cheung are absolutely stunning :o
Is there an English-subtitled, anamorphic release of this?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Marshall wrote:Is there an English-subtitled, anamorphic release of this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Green-Snake-1 ... 5637cb8466
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

gasteropod wrote:
Marshall wrote:Is there an English-subtitled, anamorphic release of this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Green-Snake-1 ... 5637cb8466
Thanks! Ordered.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Pulse (2001-Japan) No Rating

Had to give up on this one... trying to follow it was doing my head in.

The idea was interesting - ghosts in the internet - but the execution was incredibly slow and boring.

I forwarded thru much of the second half and so a star rating is probably unfair.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Himizu (Japan, 2011) - 3/5
Bad boy Sion Sono goes ever more schizophrenic with yet another foray into Japanese national madness. Set in the disaster ridden Miyagi prefecture, the devastation merely provides the background for Sono's raging social commentary on child beaters, random killings, and neo nazis. Incoherent and borderline ridiculous, the film nevertheless builds extremely strong scenes and comes out rather impressive. In a way, it's a great relief Sono has not fallen into sappy melodrama that could be expected from a Japanese film dealing with a real life tragedy. Cartoonish comic touches and the over-use of Cold Fish cast could've been done without, though.

Cycling Chronicles (Japan, 2004) – 3.5/5
Political/pink/radical director Koji Wakamatsu’s fascinating, existential road movie. A young man, allegedly a murder suspect on the run, rides through the brutal cold winder of Japan on his bicycle. No plot turns or action scenes, but ice, snow, freezing cold sea and endless small roads. The floating landscapes are only interrupted by occasional political monologues about Japan’s war history. Effective Kazuki Tomokawa soundtrack accompanies – viewers who have seen Takashi Miike’s Izo know what to expect from this “screaming philosopher” of “psychedelic country rock”. Rough on the edges, openly political in places, and often brilliantly beautiful movie.

Image Image
Markgway wrote:Pulse (2001-Japan) No Rating

Had to give up on this one... trying to follow it was doing my head in.

The idea was interesting - ghosts in the internet - but the execution was incredibly slow and boring.

I forwarded thru much of the second half and so a star rating is probably unfair.
Kurosawa's horror movies are over-rated (though he's still better than Takashi Shimizu, who only ever made one good film), but he's done some excellent thrillers and dramas. Remember hating the horror aspects of Kairo (Pulse) but some other parts were interesting. Beautiful visual look, too.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Noriko's Dinner Table (2005) - 2.5/5

The first Sion Sono film that I haven't particularly enjoyed, it just seemed to drag and not be all that interesting on the whole (but certainly in part). I preceded my viewing by rewatching Strange Circus and Suicide Club which both get a 4/5 from me.

Angel Dust (1994) - 3/5

Nice visual style and atmosphere that makes me think Kiyoshi Kurosawa was influenced by it, but it has pacing issues, would like to see this again on DVD or Blu-ray though rather than on YouTube (been wanting to see it for ages and that's what I had to make do with).
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I think Noriko is one of Sono's best films (with Love Exposure, Suicide Club, and Hazard)... the first 90 minutes especially is amazing.

Strange Circus on the other hand I find one of the weaker Sonos. Somewhat like Himizu, it lacks the breath of fresh air found in the best Sono films.

Angel Dust I quite dislike. Sogo Ishii's best and worst films tend to come in pairs (Crazy Thuder Road vs. Burst City, Angel Dust vs. August in the Water) and Angel Dust was the one where things went wrong starting from the 90's fashion disasters. August in the Water does have its issues with the new age stuff, but in terms of atmosphere and audio-visual output its one of the most jaw dropping movies I can think of. In fact, I think I once wrote it's "like Kurosawa, but without ghosts".
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

HungFist wrote:August in the Water does have its issues with the new age stuff, but in terms of atmosphere and audio-visual output its one of the most jaw dropping movies I can think of. In fact, I think I once wrote it's "like Kurosawa, but without ghosts".
Just checked out the synopsis and that sounds cool, will check it out!

By the way, I'm waiting for a HK Blu-ray of the full 144 minute cut of Guilty of Romance to arrive, I presume it's a bootleg but is basically my only option, will let you know what the quality's like, won the bid on eBay this morning.

Also, did you get the Japanese Blu-ray of Love Exposure? Won't there be pixelation on the penis-cutting scene?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

gasteropod wrote:
HungFist wrote:August in the Water does have its issues with the new age stuff, but in terms of atmosphere and audio-visual output its one of the most jaw dropping movies I can think of. In fact, I think I once wrote it's "like Kurosawa, but without ghosts".
Just checked out the synopsis and that sounds cool, will check it out!

By the way, I'm waiting for a HK Blu-ray of the full 144 minute cut of Guilty of Romance to arrive, I presume it's a bootleg but is basically my only option, will let you know what the quality's like, won the bid on eBay this morning.

Also, did you get the Japanese Blu-ray of Love Exposure? Won't there be pixelation on the penis-cutting scene?
The official HK BD is the 112 min cut as far as I know.

I have the uncut JP BD but haven't had time to watch it yet.

Yes, I did get the Love Expo JP BD. And yes, the fogging is still there.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

HungFist wrote:The official HK BD is the 112 min cut as far as I know.

I have the uncut JP BD but haven't had time to watch it yet.

Yes, I did get the Love Expo JP BD. And yes, the fogging is still there.
The one I've ordered says 144 minutes on the back of the case, I'm fairly sure it's a bootleg though, will probably be able to get my money back anyway for false advertising.

The upcoming Third Window Blu-ray of Love Exposure is having uncensored bits spliced in from another HD master where there is pixelation in the director-approved master.
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

You guys did such a swell job with GREEN SNAKE (which I just received in the mail) that I would like to throw a few more at you.

NAKED KILLER: Is there an uncut, anamorphic disc? I have a "letterboxed" (non-anamorphic) DVD, and I heard the American release was cut. Perhaps the British disc?

ZU, WARRIORS OF THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN: The Blu-ray, perhaps? Or is it a cock-up?

Also would love a copy of IT'S NOW OR NEVER, by any means necessary.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Marshall wrote: NAKED KILLER: Is there an uncut, anamorphic disc? I have a "letterboxed" (non-anamorphic) DVD, and I heard the American release was cut. Perhaps the British disc?
Yes, the HKL! It's an old release and maybe not as good by today's stardards as my memories tell me (I still recall the day when it arrived on mail, and I was in so much a hurry to (high) school that I just grabbed the package with me and opened in classroom) but I consider(ed) it one of the best releases by HKL ever. Uncut, very solid anamorphic transfer, good 5.1 audio (without added crap I assume), excellent and genuinely interesting extras, stylish menu and artwork...
Marshall wrote: ZU, WARRIORS OF THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN: The Blu-ray, perhaps? Or is it a cock-up?
I don't know about the HK BD, but the Joy Sales DVD was good. Remaster, anamorphic, good original mono, and some interesting extras (was it the deleted scenes from the entirely different Int. Version?).

To be honest, my dvd collection is on the wrong continent, so maybe Mark or someone can confirm the details or correct any mistakes I might have made, but I think those two releases are easy recommendations.
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

Great info as usual, HF. That HKL disc of NAKED KILLER is very tempting, but I have noticed that my current player does a horrible job with PAL discs that are sourced from NTSC. Now every PAL purchase is a roll of the dice.

I still have a laserdisc with that international footage from ZU. I wish I knew if the Blu-ray was botched; time to poke around in hopes of turning up a review.

Thanks!
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I think HKL's transfers were all native PAL, Naked Killer certainly should be.
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

Groovy.
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

Ordered.

Read a not-so-hot review of the Blu of Zu. The deal-breaker was that they said the dark scenes were tough to watch. On hold until I learn more.

Can't believe IT'S NOW OR NEVER has fallen off the face of the earth. But apparently it has.
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

http://www.amazon.com/Zu-Warriors-Mount ... y+sales+zu

Is this the Joy Sales ZU? It looks like there is also an anamorphic HKL release?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Marshall wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Zu-Warriors-Mount ... y+sales+zu

Is this the Joy Sales ZU? It looks like there is also an anamorphic HKL release?
Much cheaper here:
http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_deta ... uctID=6017

Thread:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=2586
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

The legendary Joy Sales "blue line," lol. Looks like the one to get, though. Never ordered from DDD and I'm a little a-scared to, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again. Lots of good info.
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

Got a copy on eBay for almost as cheap as DDD, without the anxiety. Yay!
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

for future reference: DDD's been extremely reliable since the dawn of asian school girls, been using them (ddd, not school girls) for maybe 7 years and never had any problems. Low prices, affordable shipping, fast delively, good packaging.

oh, right, once I had slight problems getting the visa payment done, but I just emailed them my order and they sent me paypal bill I think and next week I had the dvds in my hand already.

Ebay is such a gamble, if you ask me. I only use it when I have absolutely no other option.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Both UK and HK dvds of Zu have sound issues, but your mileage may vary.

Can totally reccomend the HKL of Naked Killer - though its far less explicit than i thought it would be.
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Ivan Drago wrote:Both UK and HK dvds of Zu have sound issues, but your mileage may vary.
What sound issue on the HK disc? It's original mono and has the best picture.