Shaolin Wooden Men = CT DVD vs WV DVD vs SS DVD

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
chenlung
King of Beggars

Shaolin Wooden Men = CT DVD vs WV DVD vs SS DVD

Post by chenlung »

Right:

DVD Compare (http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=6494) has the majority of details I filled in However, all DVDs are missing the 'Lo Wei Productions logo' (except EH but doesn't officially include as part of the film, only as a seperate 'title' before the opening scene starts). Ignore the language thing in the overall section as it should be Mandarin.

Columbia Tristar DVD is god awful (it even has very dark passages but has proper (if Westernized) subtitles.

Winners Video has a few cuts and rather poor image but it's better than Columbia (also has non-cut off subtitles!).

The Seven Sept DVD is missing an additional sequences (all linking to each other) when Mute is caught stealing the wine, dismissed from punishment, finding his teacher 'hallucinating' and beginning his first KF lesson. Regardless of the cuts being exclusive to this possible export French version - the title card, credits-less sequence, 'The End' screen and occasional English dialogue/yells seem weird. Clearly has the best video in the competition but not much else.

The 'graduation' scene as Mute walks down the path in the forest has a jump in the Mandarin soundtrack. Maybe it had exclusive footage (including for the end fight which has abrupt jumps) before being cut down for the Cantonese/English prints.

I'll correct things at DVD Compare when I'm in the mood.

I have access to Eastern Heroes and Fortune Star sources but they are downgraded from DVD-9 to DVD-5 and wouldn't qualify. People are welcome to add them however :) .

Columbia Tristar = R1 America.
Winners Video = R0 Hong Kong.
Seven = R2 France.

------
COLUMBIA TRISTAR:

WINNERS VIDEO:

SEVEN:
------
COLUMBIA TRISTAR:

WINNERS VIDEO:

SEVEN:
------
COLUMBIA TRISTAR:

WINNERS VIDEO:

SEVEN:
------
COLUMBIA TRISTAR:

WINNERS VIDEO:

SEVEN:
------
COLUMBIA TRISTAR:

WINNERS VIDEO:

SEVEN:
------
Last edited by chenlung on 05 Nov 2006, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Seven ? Don't know them.
Is it Seven Sept (TF1) ?
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

Yeah, that's right. Only noticed it - I'll edit it :) .

Under the title 'L'Impitoyable'.
Scott
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Oh yeah.
Awesome picture, french dub only. Useless coasters.
They've released pretty much all the Lo Wei JC movies this way. :evil:
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
dragonhero005
Flirting Scholar

Post by dragonhero005 »

Yeah, but the picture quality is awesome.
Too bad, there aren't any DVDs with that picture quality, uncut, original Chinese track and nice English subs out there for the Jackie - Lo Wei films.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

So, is the Japanese dvd anywhere near as good as the french (picture wise)? Joy Sales should be releasing this sooner or later (should be the same transfer)
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

'Brentwood' will be releasing 'Killer Meteors' and I would imagine they will do justice to the title (even if it is crap) using FS sources, possibly including proper remastered subtitles and a few extras perhaps.

The French DVDs have their merits with regards to image (reddish tint seems to be their problem and no full remastering) but the 'Fearless Hyena' DVD is awful compared to the FS remaster (on the IVL/Geneon DVDs).

'Spectrum' released 'Spiritual Kung Fu' in a decent way but it was dubtitled, no mono nor the correct shot for the Yi Lang knockout.
Last edited by chenlung on 05 Nov 2006, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Just to clarify, the Yi Long knockout is early in the film where he is on guard. In the English version and one dialect - forget which one - he is karatechopped, whilst in the other dialect he is knockout with gas from a jossstick
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

Some VHS e.t.c don't use the correct audio for the scene.

We should do an investigation.
Scott