special edition

original
special edition

original
special edition

original
special edition

Edge Enhancement

I zoomed in very tightly on the first cap of each DVD to display the edge enhancement issue on the original. The special edition still displays some slightly but not to the extent of the original DVD.

Original and Special edition
Image Image
Last edited by captainjoe on 23 Sep 2006, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

How come the Original looks better :? (Looks sharper to me).
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

Yeah. I'ts like they eliminated the EE but it looks a little too soft to me. Still the dirt is gone.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I like the origanal as hey the grain looks more natural than the smoothed out new version. The new version also seems to have changed the colours slightly, so whites look a bit shitty. I will keep my origaanl version of this superb film :)

I dont mind the edge enhancement at all if it makes the film look better, until I get a new TV that is and it looks worse :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Original version is better.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Agreed EE or no EE the Original looks better but I'm loving the new cover art, very stylish.

Speaking of the covers it's lost an Academy Award along the way :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

@ Joe: I presume both are R1 and both are identical on Canadian or USA discs? Would you mind putting R1 or R1 Canadian (if there's a difference) please.

Just so we know it's an R1 DVD you have.
FinnurE
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by FinnurE »

The new version looks almost out of focus, the original even with the EE looks a lot better.
Mace Windu got thrown out the windu!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:How come the Original looks better :? (Looks sharper to me).
It's fake sharpness. They enhance the edges artificially (you can do this in Adobe Photoshop on a JPEG file) which has the result of making it appear sharper but at the offset of giving a not so lovely white glow to the edges. This is especially apparent on people. Next time you look at some captures and they look ultra sharp (especially on an old film) see if you can spot a white glow, that will be "edge enhancement". I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Done minutely (and I mean minutely) it can help a wee bit but usefully they go all trigger happy and apply too much edge enhancement.

Which looks better in real terms Captain Joe? I still say the original looks better but these are static captures which only tell half the story. I do find static captures can accentuate edge enhancement when it may not be possible to really see it on a TV screen.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

I think the original looks better despite the EE because it has some grain and doesn't looked smoothed over like the newer DVD. If they had just gotten rid of dirt and EE it would be perfect but the colours look off to me and DNR is heavily used.