Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

blade runner please!!!!!
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

bradavon wrote:How to include the Average DVD Bitrate of each DVD, added to Tom's "How to make a DVD comparison" thread:

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=2428

It would be handy if we could start adding this to our comparisons. It takes seconds to find out.

How do you take a picture of it though?
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

You've got a "print screen" key on your keyboard.
Don't be afraid to use it. :D

Print Screen, open Photoshop/Paint/Whatever, paste, crop away, save as PNG or GIF.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I tend to just type in whatever the bitrate is but if you like you can post a screen capture. It gives a wee bit more detail.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

Ah, never thought of that. thanks.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

:reindeer: :blob4: :headbang: :occasion7: :occasion9:

300 comparisons in the database today.
Well done everyone ! :)
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Anone got Criterion's Sword of the Beast?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks for letting us know.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

I had to take my computer in to be looked at because the damn thing keeps getting the blu-screen-of-death every time I work the CPU hard, probably due to a falty fan because it gets over heated. Due to that I am using my old XP computer (soooo slooow). I don't have the rest of the caps for the Hard-boiled and Brazil reviews so it'll take a few weeks for those to be updated. I just forgot to transfer those pics over to my other harddrive.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

"James Bond Comparison Guide" added to "The DVD Comparisons thread".
Ray_Rogers
Little White Dragon

Post by Ray_Rogers »

captainjoe wrote:I had to take my computer in to be looked at because the damn thing keeps getting the blu-screen-of-death every time I work the CPU hard, probably due to a falty fan because it gets over heated. Due to that I am using my old XP computer (soooo slooow). I don't have the rest of the caps for the Hard-boiled and Brazil reviews so it'll take a few weeks for those to be updated. I just forgot to transfer those pics over to my other harddrive.
I think you need a liquid cooling system. :wink:
I'm back AGAIN.
Film grain is a good thing dammit! Say NO to DNR/EE!
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Finally remembered to update bnb.zip with 1080.bat and JPG.bat whcih will be handy as I'm thinking I might do a slew of HD comparisons soon, been slacking.
1080.bat - Resize to 1920x1080 for comparing DVD's to BD/HD-DVD/HDTV
JPG.bat - Convert to JPG for BD/HD-DVD/HDTV captures

The quality difference between uncompressed PNG's and these JPEG's is near impossible to see on my projector, let alone on a monitor and it reduces the file size DRAMATICALLY.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Good work, thanks Lourdes.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Tom, I've been doing some comparisons between different resampling methods and there's a noticeable difference between them. As an example your use of IrfanView (and presumably Lanczos) results in an image that is noticeably sharper than one from convert.exe and the lanczos filter there (as in the batch files).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That means one is inaccurate right?
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Are you saying that Irfan's Lanczos is different from Convert's Lanczos?
That's strange. In my experience, Irfan's Lanczos is better than Bicubic when it comes to jagged edges and aliasing, but it doesn't really sharpen the image.

Thanks for the heads up, though. I'll do some testing on that as well.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

How do you apply Lanczos filter in Irfan? I tried doing a batch upscale + conversion from DVD res PNGs to 1080 JPGs and they all come out with horrible artefacts.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

tom2681 wrote:Are you saying that Irfan's Lanczos is different from Convert's Lanczos?
That's strange. In my experience, Irfan's Lanczos is better than Bicubic when it comes to jagged edges and aliasing, but it doesn't really sharpen the image.

Thanks for the heads up, though. I'll do some testing on that as well.
Lanczos is the method, but there's a lot more to it such as the number of taps, they both just do it differently.
EvaUnit02 wrote:How do you apply Lanczos filter in Irfan? I tried doing a batch upscale + conversion from DVD res PNGs to 1080 JPGs and they all come out with horrible artefacts.
It's there as the resampling method for the normal upscaling. Or just download the bnb.zip as it has a batchfile for that.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

I should have a neat method for HD captures very soon. Just need to do some playing about to make it portable.

UPDATE:
FUCK IT I had a lovely method that involved directshowsource to vdub but then I realised that vdub doesn't allow saving images and my script wouldn't work with vdubmod...
Tomorrow I'll have a look at MPC-HC as that has internal AVC, VC-1 and MPEG2 decoders. Combined with Haali (splitter and renderer) it might be the neatest solution.

There should be very little difference between decoders but it's the renders that cause problems plus something that anyone can use easily is good.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Okay I'll post up a proper guide sometime but it will basically just consist of Haali + MPC-HC and its internal MPEG/VC-1/AVC filters with DXVA disabled and the Haali renderer as output.
http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/MatroskaSplitter.exe
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=170561
I need to test opening all varities of m2ts and evo's as an additional step may be needed for the latter (rebuild or demux using evodemux).

It's a bit of a PITA but is still only one install you should have anyway and a couple of settings in MPC-HC which can be made to be portable if I distribute it with settings in a .ini file. Because this is directshow there's no framestep backwards and seeking is shit but there's no other straightforward solution.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Someone needs to write some program to make capping from HD a lot easier, sounds very time consuming at the moment.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Coming from the man whose never even bothered to contribute any DVD captures ;)

Thanks for the info about capturing HD Lourdes. It will be probably be years before I can capture HD.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:Coming from the man whose never even bothered to contribute any DVD captures ;)
I have done hundreds, not for here.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Which website? Why not repost them here? Especially as you've done the hard work already.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

They're local screengrabs for local people!!