Name me your top 5 USA TV Series since 2000 (no comedies)?

Discussion of Television Shows & Channels
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Name me your top 5 USA TV Series since 2000 (no comedies

Post by bradavon »

degeneration wrote:By director are you meaning Gias Baltar (not sure of spelling)?
Sorry scientist (as Wikipedia refers to him as).

Thanks. Could you post why please? I'm okay knowing before. What's with the spoilers at the start of each episode? There's a 30 second montage of clips showing what we're about to watch at the start of each episodes. It's really annoying.

I keep getting out bid on Deadwood. I definitely want to see it (the fact it's 18 rated helps a lot) but with BSG and Lost to watch, it can wait before picking it up.
Last edited by bradavon on 05 Feb 2012, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Sorry dude. Not going to explain it for you! You're just going to have to watch it to find out! Not going to ruin any of the excitement or anticipation. It is a long running plot thread, so it is worth not knowing before hand.

I hate the spoilers at the start of each episode too. Skip them every time. Very annoying.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

degeneration wrote:Sorry dude. Not going to explain it for you! You're just going to have to watch it to find out! Not going to ruin any of the excitement or anticipation. It is a long running plot thread, so it is worth not knowing before hand.
Fair enough. I don't know yet how many series I'll end up getting, due to expense and shelf space. I may end up downloading them.
degeneration wrote:I hate the spoilers at the start of each episode too. Skip them every time. Very annoying.
Any idea what the purpose is? I've never seen it before. I don't get why they'd spoil it for you.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Not got a clue. Maybe something to whet your appetite for what's to come... doesn't work for me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'd be amazed if it works for anyone. You're already committing to watching the episode anyway and it literally spoils it for you. You know the basic plot already.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Also, in the Mini-Series the Cylons (with Gias Baltar's help) worked out to disable the ships computers. This plot point appears to have been forgotten.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

No not forgotten, just the explanation appears to have been completely missed by you!!

The ships that had their computers disabled were more modern ships, with networking and more advanced technology. The old ships, like BSG and the individual pilot ships (can't remember what they are called) are based on old technology. They don't have the same networking joining all things together, which is why they have to speak over the telephone thing all the time (or something like that), so the cylons' hacking thing doesn't work on those ships as it isn't able to work its way through all the computer systems of the ships.

A future episode will go into more detail on this, but it was discussed in the mini series.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Ah that's it. I remember now. Thanks.

I thought it had something to do with old technology. The Cylons did seem to win the initial war incredibly easily. The show replacing fuck for frack is irritating.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've just finished BSG: S1. Well that was great. I'm definitely gonna buy the S2 DVD box set. I cannot wait to find out what happens next.

I ended up watching episodes in 2 or 3 episode chunks. I was even up until 8am for the last 3 episodes, I had to know what happened next. I wasn't expecting the Season 1 final episode twist, especially what had happened only a few minutes before (Boomer discovering she's a Cylon, then minutes later she shoots Adama, although it pointed out Number Six say "she's weak a model but will follow her mission"..

Some parts you've got to allow for artist licence (if Cylons can work out how to make themselves "pregnant", they sure as hell can find a bunch of ragtag humans and how exactly are they different from humans then? but otherwise I loved it. The action (there's less than I imagined), the mythology, the comparison to religion, how the Cylons can grow just like humans/how they get jealous, the Balter character, Adama...

Boomer (Grace Park) is HOT! They're probably body doubles but she's got great boobs too.

The HD transfer was pretty good, not outstanding but colours were more vibrant etc... It was surprisingly grainy though. I cannot say how good the Dolby TrueHD was because my Amp's Surround Sound component needs re-soldering, all I can get is Stereo.

Before getting S2 I'm gonna check out my Lost S1 and Twin Peaks S1 box sets (it's been a decade!), having a gap is a good thing.