BBC suspend Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand

Discussion of Television Shows & Channels
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

"I'm now so old, that my pussy is haunted"
LMAO :D If John Byner doesnt like Frankie Boyle's humour he shouldnt watch him. MTW is a post watershed comedy panel show known for risque humour. Those jokes arent in the same ballpark in terms of offensiveness as what Ross and Brand did.
I agree with the BBC spokeswoman.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I think those panel show jokes are a different kettle of fish to what Ross and Brand did.

I don't have a problem with them.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Frankie Boyle is pretty much the only funny guy on that show :) I love that guy, he's so quick. :)

Anyway, about the Ross-grandfather thing. I havent bothered listening to the whole broadcast, just the beginning of the tape, but it's just Ross screaming that Brand has had sex with the granddaughter (probably true), and then the reaction in the studio was already one of 'you cant dooo that!'. TBH I thought it was just Ross being Ross, and pretty funny. True that I wouldnt wanna hear that about my granddaughter, but then again, I wouldnt want my granddaughter to be a grade-A slut either, so there.

It all seems a whole lot OTT. Really not worth all the hypersensitive reactions it has gotten. I'm sure old grandpa sees his 'sweet little' granddaughter depicting herself as a sleezy cheap slut on a regular basis in the tabloids anyway.

It's just Wossy being Wossy. His comedy is very spontanious and non-PC, but very VERY funny. I dont think the guy has an evil bone in his body (unless he gets assraped by Mike Tyson)

On the one hand I feel Ross should just quit at the BBC and just do the same stuff he did for the BBC, but for a less uptight station, but on the other hand that would totally suck, cause that would mean I couldnt watch his show anymore.

edit: About the people getting mad over 'queen-jokes': It's an old useless bag who is in a priviledged position and getting paid for completely by the people to wear a crown and a frown. I'm against the whole idea of so-called 'royalty'. It goes against every principle that all people are equal for the law.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yi-Long wrote:Frankie Boyle is pretty much the only funny guy on that show :)
I think the others are funny too - but it's true Boyle has "the edge". His stand up on Live at the Apollo had me in stitches.

There's a dfference between making offhand remarks that may be crude or cruel in search of a laugh and a deliberate, prolonged campaign in which an innocent party is verbally abused. If Boyle had phoned up The Queen (some chance) to talk about her pussy I would say the same.

Ross and Brand didn't just make a passing reference to Sachs and his grandaughter they drew it out and personalised it by leaving (vulgar) messages on the man's answer machine. They turned the man into a joke and he had no say in the matter. No one wants to hear vulgarities about their granddaughter directed straight at you no matter how slutty they may well be (and to have sex with Brand you'd have to be a grade-A slut).

That's the issue. Its not about the strong language (although it's amazing what you can get away with on the radio) or crude humour; it's being offensive to someone who can't defend themselves.