Freeview channel line up changes

Discussion of Television Shows & Channels
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Freeview channel line up changes

Post by bradavon »

As well as Nuts TV there has also been some other recent changes:

* UK TV History - Hours reduced. For a period channel 12 was airing "Dave". If channel 12 is still showing Dave instead of UK TV History you will need to rescan your box.
* Film Four +1 - Has been replaced with Channel 4 +1
* Dave - Now on channel 19 - It's a light hearted entertainment channel like Sky 3. Awful name but pretty good. The old name "UKG2" was better (aka - UK Gold 2).
* ABC1 - I quite liked this channel. As of the 26th of September ABC1 ceased broadcasting on Freeview. "Walt Disney Television has made this decision because it couldn’t extend its hours into peak time." - www.freeview.co.uk/help/channels-programming/q193
* FTN - As of 1st of October FTN ceased broadcasting on Freeview.
* Virgin 1 - Channel 20. Virgin 1 replaced FTN. It's very much like Sky 1.

I'd suggest everyone Rescans their Freeview boxes to bring in the new channels and also rename the existing channels to the new correct names. Doing so will also remove channel 15 (ABC1) from the list.

It’s best to do this during the day, as at night time or in bad weather it may struggle to bring all the channels in.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Thanks - I rescanned a few days ago but will do it again for kicks.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

No worries.

I wouldn't do it now as you may find not all channels are brought back in. I've found this, even during a nice night. It's weird that no Freeview box (no even my high end Pioneer Hard/Disk DVD Recorder with Freeview) autoscans like Sky. As it doesn't change too often it's not a big deal though.

Unless channels move around or the name changes I try not to Rescan and just Add channels instead. This doesn't wipe the existing list. I've re-ordered the default ordering extensively. The default order awful and makes little sense.

I wish Freeview would look better sometimes, some of the lesser channels can look awful (ITV2) but some great. That said it's still a really good service. Especially considering all you pay is the TV licence to get it and more and more channels are being added all the time. Sky were really caught off guard. They never expected it to be as popular as it has become.

Come switch off the number of people with Sky will dwarf Freeview.

Unless you're into Sport or I guess you don't like buying/renting DVDs Sky/Cable are a waste of time IMO. The basic Sky package gets you less than Freeview!