Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc

Which is the better version - Colour or Fade to Black?

Colour
No votes
Fade to Black
100%

Total votes: 4

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Check out the rear cover art, here's hoping it's accurate but I suspect it's out of date:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... eance.html
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Bradavon By the way, why not getting the korean release from Cd-WOW?
Here is the link
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance: Special Edition Korean Import (2 Disc Set) DTS - DVD Region 3
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

slasher13 wrote:Bradavon By the way, why not getting the korean release from Cd-WOW?
In the long run I will be but not now because:

1. It's to expensive. I don't like spending £15 on Western DVDs so I sure as hell aren't going to on Asian DVDs.
2. I'm in no rush to see it. I'm not a fanboy of Korean cinema like many here. Many of the so called classics I didn't think much of.
3. I want to watch my Oldboy first.

When I get around to buying it I'll get the Korean DVD but it won't be for months. There are many other DVDs I want to get first and am of the believe you should have a limit on the amount of DVDs you but in one month.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

bradavon wrote:3. I want to watch my Oldboy first.
It is a crime not to watch "OldBoy". Death penalty however applies if you have it at home and have not watched it ever since. :lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

thelostdragon wrote:Death penalty however applies if you have it at home and have not watched it ever since. :lol:
I'll get the rope.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Well Brad... there is one way to prevent this. (I hope I ain't too late.) :D

Just let the next movie you watch be "OldBoy". It's as simple as that. You aren't losing anything, y'know. You'll be watching this sooner or later, so it's not even a loss of time.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:D
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

It would be a good idea to hurry with SFLV since Korean limited editions tend to go OOP (SFLV has been OOP twice already but they re-released it, if I'm not totally mistaken). And other releases probaly won't include the "fade to B&W" version (vastly superior IMO)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I have it on order but havent got it yet.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Which is the better version - Colour or Fade to Black? I've added a poll to the post.
HungFist wrote:It would be a good idea to hurry with SFLV since Korean limited editions tend to go OOP (SFLV has been OOP twice already but they re-released it, if I'm not totally mistaken). And other releases probaly won't include the "fade to B&W" version (vastly superior IMO)
Oh thanks for the heads up, very much noted.

Like I said before the extra version and considering the Tartan looks pants I'll make an exception I think. I was waiting for news on the Tartan DVD.

* Are we sure it's LE? KI guess it's a moot point if you don't want to risk it.
* Where did you hear it had gone OOP?
* CD WOW are the cheapest right?

* What is the LE stuff you get? I don't see any mentioned on any site. The cover art says "Special Edition". The packaging here looks standard for a Korean DVD:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/20397.html

Don't LE's normally come with postcards etc . . . ?

Dam it's so annoying how expensive Korean DVDs are.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote: * Are we sure it's LE? KI guess it's a moot point if you don't want to risk it.
* Where did you hear it had gone OOP?
I'm not 100% sure about this but I think the first pressing was limited to 8000 pieces. I pre-ordered my copy early december and I remember all korean stores being out of stock by christmas.

Soon after the original release date it was re-released. But I don't think there was any difference compared to the first release. Then later I noticed all (at least what I checked) korean stores were out of stock again. A few weeks ago my friend bought the film, but he had to get it from cdwow because koreandvds and dvdfromkorea were out of stock once again. At least dvdfromkorea got more stock a few days later. I just checked dvdfromkorea again and guess what: it's out of stock again. It isn't even listed at koreandvds anymore.

So, I don't have any official info on this and I could be making wrong assumptions. But there's already dozens of koreand dvds that are OOP and impossible to get anymore and it looks like the same will happen to SFLV sooner or later.

Off topic: I would be very happy if someone told me where to get the Korean OOP Boiling Point dvd. It's one of those impossible to get dvds.
bradavon wrote: * CD WOW are the cheapest right?
Right now, yes. At least if you use vouchers. Usually dvdfromkorea and koreandvds are cheaper, but since both are out out of stock...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Usually I don't care if Korean DVDs go OOP as they're overpriced in the first place and the HK DVD is fine for me.
Usually dvdfromkorea and koreandvds are cheaper, but since both are out out of stock...
Really? I've not used DVDfromKorea but when I have checked I've mostly found CD WOW cheaper than KoreanDVDs.

p.s - Thanks for the heads up. That's definitely worth knowing.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:Usually I don't care if Korean DVDs go OOP as they're overpriced in the first place and the HK DVD is fine for me.
Usually dvdfromkorea and koreandvds are cheaper, but since both are out out of stock...
Really? I've not used DVDfromKorea but when I have checked I've mostly found CD WOW cheaper than KoreanDVDs.
I've used cdwow a lot in the past, but nowadays I get my KR dvds from dvdfromkorea. The difference in prices isn't that big, but I always though dvdfromkorea was a bit cheaper, especially if you order several dvds (I could be wrong, though). I think the same applies to HK dvds; buyoyo tends to be slightly cheaper even with the shipping cost added.

I haven't used koreandvds because my Visa Electron doesn't work there.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

especially if you order several dvds
You'd have to be careful of customs though.

I'll double check more thorough in future thanks.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:
especially if you order several dvds
You'd have to be careful of customs though.
Thankfully they let you decide the value that will be marked on the package and receipt :lol:

But yeah, I usually buy one new and one bargain disc to keep it under the customs limit (38€/45$ here in Finland)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

38€ OMG that's much better than we get at £18/26€ (postage doesn't count).
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

22€ over ici, boys. It's a good thing french customs agents are too lazy to check my dvds. :D
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Most of our DVDs slip through too unless the parcel is huge of course.

So which is the better cut come on guys? Push the button :D
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Fade to black and white.

Makes sense. Near the end, the film turns into an old-fashioned american film noir from the 50's anyway. :wink:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Was that a spoiler?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've not seen it but how?

By definition a synopsis or trailer (for example) are spoilers but we still read/watch them.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Fair enough.
I havent seen it yet either (just got the disc today), thats why I asked Tom :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Fair enough.