Killers (Indonesia-Japan, 2014)

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Killers (Indonesia-Japan, 2014)

Post by HungFist »

A new thriller by the Mo Brothers. KILLERS tells the tale of two men; a calculating serial killer in Japan and a family man in Indonesia. As they discover each other, they start to form a twisted relationship, slowly leading them into a spiral of chaos, where violence becomes an addiction.

Teaser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVlhicnuXlI

Site:
http://www.killersthemovie.com/index.html

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Killers (Japan-Indonesia, 2014)

Post by HungFist »

JP teaser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zibILUPwFU

Looks pretty damn brutal. Open's here in February

Image Image
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

kemushi
Little White Dragon

Post by kemushi »

Looks good. Are the Mo Brother's earlier films worth tracking down?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I haven't seen their earlier collaborative efforts, but Timo Tjahjanto's contribution to The ABC's of Death is probably the most memorable and controversial episode in the film. Also, his episode in V/H/S/2 is supposed to be great.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

New JP trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmzx88SeIuI

JP Site:
http://www.killers-movie.com/menu.html

If I find time, I'll see the film this weekend.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Certainly looks pretty brutal :o
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Saw the film last weekend. Good, captivating from start to finish, but intellectually underperforming. Feels very much like the work of two exploitation directors (that Stamboel and Tjahjanto are), though the genre is meant to be psychological thriller.

The biggest problem is on the Japan side. Kazuki Kitamura makes a threatening psycho, but he isn’t much of an actor. The psychological side is quite underdeveloped, especially with some silly and unintentionally amusing twists straight out of the b-film screenwriter’s book.

When the two men finally meet at the end of the film, there’s nothing but cliché fighting and a silly, CGI enhanced death scene. In addition, the Tokyo scenes, shot in Shibuya and Shinjuku, have a somewhat tourist-like feel to them.

Segments set in Indonesia have a much more natural feel to then, and are better acted. The concept itself, with a sick serial killer and a vigilante interacting though the internet and uploading their kills, is fascinating and morally challenging. It’s just a shame the theme isn’t further developed.

Tech specks are fine, with solid cinematography and effective soundtrack. Special effects team does top job most of the time, bringing some scenes to borderline splatter, though gore is only a small part of the 137 min film.

Good film, but could be so much more.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

According to a press conference held in Tokyo the Indonesian version is censored for violence. A bit surprising - my impression of Indonesian cinema is pretty extreme indeed considering some of the recent examples like The Raid and its supposedly even more violent sequel.

The Japanese print is supposed to be uncut.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Killers (Indonesia-Japan, 2014)

Post by HungFist »

Actually ended up seeing this for the second time in cinema. I still stand behind my earlier critisism - it just doesn't have the psychological depth you wish it had - but it is a very stylish serial killer film a fascinating premise.

I was maybe a bit unfair saying the Japan scenes have a bit "tourist like" feel to them - after all, Japanese filmmakers constantly use the same famous locations, like Shibuya crossing. Perhaps what I really should have said that the character development and acting has a bit superficial feel to it in the Japan scenes, perhaps because of culture barrier between the cast and directors.

In any case, it's an enjoyable 137 min even when watched for the second time within two weeks. Not a boring moment in it.
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Limited theatrical play in the UK started on July 18th, DVD/Blu-ray will follow on September 1st.

Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Looks like the Mo Brothers will follow up their upcoming film HEADSHOT with MACABRE 2. This appeared on their twitter feed 3 hours ago:

I'm all for it! The original MACABRE only hinted at a whole bunch of supernatural mythology that I wouldn't mind explored further. I'm sure there'll be a few drops of blood as well.