Rumble in the Bronx UK Blu Ray - opinions?

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Re: Rumble in the Bronx UK Blu Ray - opinions?

Post by luckystars »

Markgway wrote:10 things that are seriously awry with Rumble in the Bronx:

1. Jackie Chan's character is supposed to be a Hong Kong cop. Make that the most useless cop in the world. Ever. Including the ones from Police Academy 6.
2. Jackie faking stunts for the outtakes. Er, isn't that Stanley Tong doing the roof jump? Oh, dear.
3. There are no mountains visible from New York.
4. If the dialogue on the page sounds as though it were written in crayon by a slow 5-year-old... change it.
5. A multi-ethnic street gang of the kind you only get in bad movies tries to murder Jackie with baseball bats and broken glass, but that's OK, because there's a big boss figure and he plays golf. The bastard!
6. We're supposed to find Jackie's romance with Francoise Yip cute even though she's a cunt who tried to get him killed.
7. Don't fuck with a crippled boy's cushion!
8. Casting your movie with Canada's worst actors is not a good idea.
9. Poor Anita Mui is grossly wasted and shown sitting on a toilet.
10. The woodchipper scene.

I think it's safe to say this films not for you. I am amazed though, you give a harmless fun action comedy such a hard time, but lap up Seagal and Norris in some of the straight to video crap they put out.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

luckystars wrote:

I think it's safe to say this films not for you. I am amazed though, you give a harmless fun action comedy such a hard time, but lap up Seagal and Norris in some of the straight to video crap they put out.
to be honest and i don't always agree with you thats's a very accurate observation.Mark,It's a late Jackie era actioner,how you would be bothered enough to know there's no hills in new york while watching this type of movie is anal in the extreme..sorry :icon_suspect:
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

luckystars wrote:I think it's safe to say this films not for you. I am amazed though, you give a harmless fun action comedy such a hard time, but lap up Seagal and Norris in some of the straight to video crap they put out.
I wouldn't say it's 'harmless', in fact it's pretty nasty, whilst pretending to be otherwise. At least those Seagal/Norris films know what they are. Besides those guys have made some crappy films - show me where I've lapped up their DTV output. If you wanna talk about a genuinely fun and charming Jackie Chan flick let's talk about Project A or Wheels on Meals, et al.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

[quote="Markgway"[/quote]

I wouldn't say it's 'harmless', in fact it's pretty nasty[/quote] you are taking the piss now surely :lol: Rumble with it's daft but entertaining "hovercraft!!" finally is "nasty" :clap:
Last edited by saltysam on 18 Dec 2012, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:thats's a very accurate observation
It isn't. At all. I've praised many films from the Seagal and Norris theatrical output - but so have many others here. That means I HAVE to like Rumble in the Bronx? As far as that period of Jackie goes I liked the dopey but entertaining Who Am I? and Gorgeous (a film which could actually be described as 'charming'). First Strike was fine and Mr. Nice Guy had its moments. Only Rumble and Thunderbolt are truly below par.

The mountains are an indication of the sheer sloppiness in production. If the film were good it would be easier to overlook.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Markgway wrote:
saltysam wrote:thats's a very accurate observation
It isn't. At all. I've praised many films from the Seagal and Norris theatrical output - but so have many others here. That means I HAVE to like Rumble in the Bronx? As far as that period of Jackie goes I liked the dopey but entertaining Who Am I? and Gorgeous (a film which could actually be described as 'charming'). First Strike was fine and Mr. Nice Guy had its moments. Only Rumble and Thunderbolt are truly below par.

The mountains are an indication of the sheer sloppiness in production. If the film were good it would be easier to overlook.
Well i think you in the minority As Rumble is a popular,crowd pleasing (us box office actioner) the day i look for errors in films like this hills in new york is the day i take up knitting :thumbs:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:you are taking the piss now surely :lol: Rumble with it's daft but entertaining "hovercraft!!" finally is "nasty" :clap:
I never mentioned the hovercraft scene.

1. Jackie complains when a gang of thugs trash cars in his neighbourhood.
2. For revenge the head slut pretends to be raped to lure Jackie into helping her.
3. The thugs corner Jackie in an alley where they bombard him with glass bottles (potentially lethal, but the film is so stupid Jackie is shown the next day fully recovered with a sticking plaster!).
4. Jackie gets all gooey with said slut because she has a crippled kid brother (apparently that absolves you of all sin).
5. The gang who tried to kill Jackie (and continue to torment him throughout) turn over a new leaf because Jackie gives them a good talking to - the man's a fucking saint - and there's some bad guys with suits and apparently bad guys with suits are much, much worse than bad guys on motorcycles.
6. Suited bad guys put a gang member through a woodchipper - gotta love Jackie's 'for the kids' mantra - and force his friend to carry his guts home in a plastic bag!

Verdict: nasty.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Markgway wrote:3. The thugs corner Jackie in an alley where they bombard him with glass bottles (potentially lethal, but the film is so stupid Jackie is shown the next day fully recovered with a sticking plaster!).
To be fair, the first time I saw that (on TV, maybe cut?) I was affected by it and took it seriously. I wouldn't now, of course.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The idea is nasty and so is the total lack of consequence.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

I think it's more a case of 'showreel action' not getting in the way of telling a simple storyline. Rumbles not a film that ever wanted to over complicate

There are loads of classic HK films that mix goofy comedy with far more violent scenes. Yuen Biaos The Champions springs to mind. The middle fight scene is a total WTF moment.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

I don't mind Rumble, it's just it's very bland - and I'm a fan of Jackie's more loopy movies, such as Killer Meteors and Island Of Fire.
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Ivan Drago wrote:I don't mind Rumble, it's just it's very bland - and I'm a fan of Jackie's more loopy movies, such as Killer Meteors and Island Of Fire.
Island of Fire (Taiwanese cut) is great. And I HATED it when I first saw it.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

For someone who hates the film so much you seem to have studied it to death Mark. i've watched it mybe 4 times over the years and i wouldn't remember it in such intricate detail as you seem to be able to :thumbs:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Not seen any cut of Island of Fire (I think?)
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

luckystars wrote:
Ivan Drago wrote:I don't mind Rumble, it's just it's very bland - and I'm a fan of Jackie's more loopy movies, such as Killer Meteors and Island Of Fire.
How come you hated it? It's always been a fave of mine!
bradavon wrote:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:For someone who hates the film so much you seem to have studied it to death Mark. i've watched it mybe 4 times over the years and i wouldn't remember it in such intricate detail as you seem to be able to :thumbs:
I don't HATE it; in fact I gave it ** (and without Jackie it would've been less). I LOVE the fight scene at the gang's hideout - but it deserves to be in a much better movie. Is that so hard to understand? I've seen the movie a few times on various formats (including at the cinema and an uncut VCD).
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Ivan Drago wrote:
luckystars wrote:
How come you hated it? It's always been a fave of mine!

The mood look and type of action are so different to a 'normal' Jackie Chan film. Think I was a teenager when I first saw if and I was really into the comical/fun Jackie.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

grim_tales wrote:There's a bit where the kid in the wheelchair is shown playing on a Game Gear or something.. with no game in it :D
It's an asian kid, so the Game Gear is probably modded :P

Anyway, I liked Rumble. It has a nice pace/flow to it. I disliked the mediocre dub and it not having a proper end-fight because of Jackie's injury, but I thought it was 'entertaining', maybe abit like those classic 80's Beat 'm Ups we liked to play (Double Dragon, Streets of Rage)

Of that era, it's one of his movies I like the best. May I once again add that I think Who Am I is absolutely horrible!? It's TERRIBLE.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Who Am I? is great :D
I cant remember much about the Asian cut of Rumble, I've never seen it in the original language.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

I quite like Who Am I?, though it has been 7 years since I last saw it!
bradavon wrote:
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

I notice people taking in extremes with Jackies later output.

Films are either considered trash or excellent. Guess its very personal

Personally I don't think he starred in a bad film in the 90's. And if only looking at his HK output, the only turkey he starred in has been Medallion (for a very long time anyway)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Well I liked Who Am I, really enjoyed it when I last saw it :D
Shanghai Noon is a fun film imo though looking back, Rush Hour is a poor film.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Who Am I is good,though the acting from the westerners is awful. Clearly the nadir of Jackie's later output was The Medallion, truly a woeful film. mind you i haven't got round to watching Around The World In 80 Days yet,got the german BD in my unwatched pile.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

ATWI80D had its moments iirc :)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Yeah, Around the World in 80 Days is all right actually, if you don't mind family films. Ahnoldt was pretty funny in it haha.