Cine Asia in administration

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Cine Asia in administration

Post by saltysam »

Well the releases had dried up so i guess we should've saw this coming...shame though

http://www.cueentertainment.com/showbox ... istration/
working class blu-ray fan
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Cine Asia in administration

Post by grim_tales »

Thats a shame :( Theres a number of their movies I've never seen (eg Mulan and some of the new Korean stuff) but I hear the UK release of Mulan is cut :(
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

'Industry veterans David Hodgins and Steve Rivers have put their distribution company Showbox Media Group, home to the CineAsia brand, into administration and blamed its collapse on a “tsunami” of supermarket returns.'

What does that mean, that supermarkets allow people to return films that they've watched?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Or that there are problems with the films bought at supermarkets? :?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I think it means supermarkets returning unsold product. If an item doesn't sell it often goes back to the distributor in bulk. Too many returned units from too little sales.

Can't say I'm too surprised. This has been on the cards for a few months now.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Markgway wrote:I think it means supermarkets returning unsold product.
Ahh right, yeah it's probably that.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Damn how shit is that!
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
logboy
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by logboy »

hate to criticise a company with the balls to try it's hand at regular asian film releases, but cine asia stuff always reminded me of similar flaws to tartan - too keen to present films as more expensively made than they are, more action-oriented than they are, more like other asian films than they are - with artwork being oddly manipulative in some way, and films licensed on how they can be represented rather than picked because they're good and then represented faithfully. only so much disappointment a customer can take, casual or not, cheap or not, and only so much trust they're willing to offer. mind you. these have been mistakes that have plagued the dvd market over the last decade, so i'm not singling them out, just thinking they're another victim of mistaken tactics which have a habit of initial benefits but eventually backfire - guessing we don't always get to hear about it when it comes close but doesn't completely fall apart.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

TBH I think half the time their release schedule had more to do with what films they could obtain pre-produced HD masters for rather than any intelligent design. They were mainly an action-flick outfit and the sad truth is that these days Asian action cinema is a lame duck, and it didn't seem like they had the money to do a HKL and produce their own releases of classic cinema.
logboy
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by logboy »

I think Asian action cinema fandom is a lame duck. seems right 20 years ago, but the attempt to blindly perceive several countries prolific output from that perspective is not only misleading, it's irresponsible and seems to have been proven (more than once) to be flawed, but people do fall or it - even those who say thy have a regular & dedicated interest who can't resist perpetuating an odd myth. sure, action films are still made, always will be, but don't we now know there's so much more to it all?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

For me the reason is very simple.

As a long time asian movie fan, I've been burned with cut incomplete butchered releases far too often.

This means that the whole 'impulse buy' thing has completely disappeared. Now when I see a DVD/BR in the shop that looks interest, I'll just remember the name and do an online search to find out what I can about which version it is.

It doesn't help when there are multiple cuts for the same movie, like I Saw The Devil, which sounds like an awesome movie, but all the bullshit about all the different versions just completely put me off.

This industry only has itself to blame TBH. First for the way it's been treating these movies and their fans by releasing too many cut/butchered versions, but also for often picking up 2nd rate titles and thinking those would be selling for more than 10 pounds a disc.

I can give you a top 10 of my favourite asian movies (Fist of Legend, Hard Boiled, My Sassy Girl DC, etc), and I'm pretty sure at least 7 of those will not have a proper western release. Maybe some have on DVD, but almost none on BR.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
logboy
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by logboy »

of course, most J films don't see a western release. one tactic to avoid not being able to cover everything is to try to give the impression you've been representative or selective, and this in turn requires a tactic of keeping quiet about what else might be out there. remember, we're talking about one of the countries lumped into "asia", that has gone from something like 200-300 films a year a decade ago to 500-600 films now, but has also gone from obviously having some crap within it to blatantly being on the downturn. you're never going to get everything you might want (license prices, other companies) but i sense a basic fear of navigating the output leading to a lack of desire to grasp it - and companies have frequently settled for a crossed-fingers approach that includes manipulative tactics and sheer laziness amongst them.

i've sometimes read a comment from fans in response to complaints from companies about their titles not selling well, and, simply put, the best response it may well be, that companies simply license the wrong films all too often. there's plenty of people talking sense about great current J films, but they just don't match the historical choices, so the companies keep digging a hole in the hope it's not the wrong idea to follow. eventually they hit the water table and walls start to cave in.

the factor of censorship has effected asian films is something of a red herring to me. multi region possibilities with DVD meant research was always necessary to find films being released elsewhere, led to multiple options with the percentage of films that seem to appear in any market with companies regularly releasing asian stuff. there is one related issue i dislike, and again it's a tactic that seems to relate to attempts to leave a large release window for the domestic J market in the age of BD trying to become the format of choice (6 months exclusivity before any other country can release a title elsewhere; might also be causing short runtime anime releases on BD in japan) in that we've got multiple cuts being described as preferable to director or tailored to different needs, when in fact it's just a way to give one film two different lives; i saw the devil, cold fish, yellow sea, 13 assassins.... all had different cuts for marketing purposes, described in various ways to avoid reverse or grey imports, frequently not know by many to have been butchered, and, perversely, sometimes even supported as "K films, great as they are, are usually just too damn long, so, who cares? right?".
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Are there different versions of Yellow Sea? I heard the UK BD has been described as the uncut version (Director's Cut) or whatever, and thats its never been released in the West before, was thinking of picking that up.
logboy
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by logboy »

grim_tales wrote:Are there different versions of Yellow Sea? I heard the UK BD has been described as the uncut version (Director's Cut) or whatever, and thats its never been released in the West before, was thinking of picking that up.
yes. 2 different cuts. the UK release is the "international version" at 140 minutes. the original korean cut is 157 minutes. co-funded production with american company, you see; no english subs on the K DVD or BD. have a feeling singapore got a subbed dvd of the longer version, but, on the whole, as with "cold fish", companies seem to be placing restrictions on licensing to try to create two versions with two different lives - as i've mentioned.

the cuts of "cold fish" were similar in description, and sono himself said in an interview he preferred it - complete codswallop, considering it wasn't the version he had released in japan, and contrary to opinions i've read from those that have seen how the longer version includes a section which clarifies / deepens the story. eureka, who released it in the UK, got in a sticky situation when they managed to have both versions certified by the BBFC, mentioned on twitter they'd release both, then managed to only put out the shorter with no real clarity as to it having happened, and indeed for what reason either.

oddly, it seems to be no issue to those that aren't bothered about something they don't mind suggesting should then be okay for others. they won't have to sit around for a little while longer to watch the whole thing (yawn), as unless it's momentary censorship that adds up to a lot of time (contrary to decades of complaints about cut / butchered versions thanks to regional bodies and company policy), if it's coincidentally described in a manner that seems legitimate (international version - for those 'hard of thinking', maybe), or indeed if they get to see the latest sensation sooner rather than later.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I didnt know that, thanks - may look for the Singapore DVD and UK BD then :(
The confusion (for me) is, as you say, the original Korean cut was the theatrical cut there, and ran 156m. The shorter cut was an "International Version" but is promoted as the DC? :?

http://wildgrounds.com/2011/06/22/yello ... ctors-cut/

Are there any good Singapore online stores? Cant find the longer version on Yesasia.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

logboy wrote:"cold fish"
Guilty of Romance, not Cold Fish ;)

I suppose international audiences would be even more disappointed if they knew they missed seeing Miki Mizuno having sex naked in the shower. Yes, that is the film's first shot in the Japanese version :lol:
logboy
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by logboy »

HungFist wrote:
logboy wrote:"cold fish"
Guilty of Romance, not Cold Fish ;)

I suppose international audiences would be even more disappointed if they knew they missed seeing Miki Mizuno having sex naked in the shower. Yes, that is the film's first shot in the Japanese version :lol:
at least you knew what i meant.