The what Anime Series are you watching at the moment thread?

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
slasher13
Royal Tramp

The what Anime Series are you watching at the moment thread?

Post by slasher13 »

Naruto - Fansub
Mmm alot has been cut from Fox Cartoon Channel, when watching the first episode. I really like it, it quite funny, but just read that there is over 100 episodes ---- ouch!!!! Don't think i will buy this on dvd.
Nice twist in the story, where Naruto finds out he is the demon fox --- ahhhh the poor guy. The ending is also very sweet where put on his ninja headband
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

The 200th episode airs on Wednesday and so long as the series remains popular, it could continue for another 200 episodes as the Manga is a long way from finishing.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Shingster! :D
How are you man? :)
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Doing alright Grim, ta. I finally mustered up the effort to register at this place (was the most gruelling 30secs of my life), and half of the old regulars have recently buggered off it seems! :D
Cooey
Jade Tiger

Post by Cooey »

Shingster wrote:Doing alright Grim, ta. I finally mustered up the effort to register at this place (was the most gruelling 30secs of my life), and half of the old regulars have recently buggered off it seems! :D
Bloody hell, now there's a name I haven't seen for a long time!!!

How are you matey?
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Hey excellent more old timers :D ;)... Good day to Cooey and Shingster. Wow 200 episodes... then def not getting these on dvd :D... But it a great series :D
Cooey
Jade Tiger

Post by Cooey »

Hey slasher!!
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Cooey :), I something see ya on the other forum - Import Forum from dvdtherapy :)
Very cool indeed, love the limited edition stuff
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Naruto is a really cool show, UNTILL the fillers began, which are absolutely horrible.

Welcome to the boards Shingster. It's strange. I believe we one had a Shingster before on this board... once in a distant past... it's all a bit of a vague memory...

Anyway, back to Naruto: Great show untill the fillers. very epic in story, GREAT character designs. Not just design-wise, but personality wise. Every character has much depth and is interesting...

At the moment I'm watching a show called ... ah shit I forgot, I'll look it up tonight... but it's OK-ish. It's a very short show thogh... about 12 or 14 episodes I believe. It's decent, but not great or anything, but things can still happen. I'm halfway through it...

Thinking about buying some of those ghibli movies that are on sale at play.com... not sure yet if I'll buy it...

Slasher: You should give Hajime No Ippo a try... as well as Full Metal Alchemist...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Yi-Long wrote:Slasher: You should give Hajime No Ippo a try... as well as Full Metal Alchemist...
Hey Yi, I was wondering and waiting to see when you are going to reply to this thread ;) :)

I've heard alot of things about Full Metal Alchemist, I want to watch this and Gunslinger Girl.

My favorite anime has been so far Rurouni Kenshin, I have the first boxset which contains episodes 1 - 39. I really enjoy the characters and the mystry behind Kenshin past. I have got the OVA films as well, but want to watch the whole series then move onto the OVA.
Need to save up for the 2nd boxset now :)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Yi-Long wrote:Thinking about buying some of those ghibli movies that are on sale at play.com... not sure yet if I'll buy it..
Only Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Whispers of the Heart and Only Yesterday have film-PAL transfers. The rest by Optimum are NTSC-PAL messes.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Cooey wrote:Bloody hell, now there's a name I haven't seen for a long time!!!

How are you matey?
Doing alright Cooey me old mucker, been mostly hanging around in the AsianDVDGuide forums the last couple of years :D
Yi Long wrote:Welcome to the boards Shingster. It's strange. I believe we one had a Shingster before on this board... once in a distant past... it's all a bit of a vague memory...
Ah yes that bloke, I heard he was a right argumentavie sod at times as well. :thumbright:
Yi Long wrote:Anyway, back to Naruto: Great show untill the fillers.

A year of filler eps is taking the piss, I would've much preferred that they just started broadcasting Naruto in 26ep seasons with a few weeks/months break in between (would be unthinkable in the past, given japanese viewers' attitude, but a couple other long running mangas have managed to do this and still maintain public interest).

Do you follow the Manga at all? I'm really enjoying the current storylines.
Yi Long wrote:Slasher: You should give Hajime No Ippo a try... as well as Full Metal Alchemist...
Two of the best shounen manga/anime. I still hold out hope that they'll start a new season of Hajime no Ippo someday, there is a lot of material to adapt.

Have you seen the FMA movie yet? It's pretty good, but I wouldn't recommend to anyone who hasn't seen the series yet.
slasher13 wrote:I've heard alot of things about Full Metal Alchemist, I want to watch this and Gunslinger Girl.
Gunslinger Girl is very moody, but good nonetheless.
slasher13 wrote:My favorite anime has been so far Rurouni Kenshin, I have the first boxset which contains episodes 1 - 39. I really enjoy the characters and the mystry behind Kenshin past. I have got the OVA films as well, but want to watch the whole series then move onto the OVA.
Kenshin also happens to be my all time fave as well. :thumbright: I recommend you watch the Trust/Betrayal OVAs after episode 62, which is the end of the Kyoto Arc. The reason for this is because after episode 62 the animators stopped adapting Nobuhiro Watanabe's manga (and the quality dips drastically a a result).

In the manga the Trust/Betrayal storyline occurs right after the end of the Kyoto Arc (ep62 of the anime).
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Only Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Whispers of the Heart and Only Yesterday have film-PAL transfers. The rest by Optimum are NTSC-PAL messes.
I might just Howl's Moving Castle, I have my neightbor totoro on HK which is a very good transfer. Haven't heard those other ones, any recommendation.

Have you see sendit price thou Yi? Howl Moving Castle - 7.89 wiith free delivery, see http://www.sendit.com/dvd/item/7000000110215
Toge
Flirting Scholar

Post by Toge »

Naruto eh?

Do US productions count as anime or they called adult 'swim' now?
I might only drop in and out but I'm still your admin... spiritually :P
Keung
King of Beggars

Post by Keung »

Onegai Twins

Good stuff!
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Keung94 wrote:Onegai Twins

Good stuff!
More slapstick harem bullshit. The suckage of Love Hina put me off that useless sub-genre for good.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

slasher13 wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:Slasher: You should give Hajime No Ippo a try... as well as Full Metal Alchemist...
Hey Yi, I was wondering and waiting to see when you are going to reply to this thread ;) :)

I've heard alot of things about Full Metal Alchemist, I want to watch this and Gunslinger Girl.

My favorite anime has been so far Rurouni Kenshin, I have the first boxset which contains episodes 1 - 39. I really enjoy the characters and the mystry behind Kenshin past. I have got the OVA films as well, but want to watch the whole series then move onto the OVA.
Need to save up for the 2nd boxset now :)
Hey Slash,

FMA is well worth checking out. Starts out pretty standard and ofcourse a bit unrealistic with the whole alchemy-magic angle to it, but once you get past that and look at the underlying themes of war and good and bad and all that... it's just a very good show.

I didnt find it as addictive as Ippo, but that's also because Ippo has that whole sportsthing going... so every episode will give you a bit of a rush. Something that storytelling animes occasionally lack.

On Gunslinger Girls: I only watched 1 or 2 episodes, but it didnt really grab my attention. Havent tried it after that. Animation looked good, but that's pretty much all I can say about it :)

Rurouni Kenshin: Nice show, but also didnt really grab me. For me the characters werent all that interesting, and I felt Kenshin's voice didnt suit him (you could clearly tell it was a woman using a heavy 'manly' voice...)
I watched about 15-20 episodes...
Wasnt all that impressed with the animation and design either... but I can totally understand how the anime could appeal to others. I just never really got into it... maybe in the future.

I saw the OVA's btw and those were cool. Again not amazingly great or anything, plus the voice-thing again, but animation looked much better (liked the design much better)
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

EvaUnit02 wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:Thinking about buying some of those ghibli movies that are on sale at play.com... not sure yet if I'll buy it..
Only Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Whispers of the Heart and Only Yesterday have film-PAL transfers. The rest by Optimum are NTSC-PAL messes.
Hey Eva,

I already got Howl's (UK R2), which is indeed a great transfer.
Also already have Totoro (R3).

I'm kinda planning on getting Only Yesterday, but I also havent seen the classics yet, like Laputa, Nausicaa, and Porco Rosso... so kinda thinking about getting those... even though they're NTSC-PAL...
Reading reviews on all of them, but turns out they're all great movies...
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Shingster wrote:
Yi Long wrote:Anyway, back to Naruto: Great show untill the fillers.

A year of filler eps is taking the piss, I would've much preferred that they just started broadcasting Naruto in 26ep seasons with a few weeks/months break in between (would be unthinkable in the past, given japanese viewers' attitude, but a couple other long running mangas have managed to do this and still maintain public interest).

Do you follow the Manga at all? I'm really enjoying the current storylines.
Yi Long wrote:Slasher: You should give Hajime No Ippo a try... as well as Full Metal Alchemist...
Two of the best shounen manga/anime. I still hold out hope that they'll start a new season of Hajime no Ippo someday, there is a lot of material to adapt.

Have you seen the FMA movie yet? It's pretty good, but I wouldn't recommend to anyone who hasn't seen the series yet.
Yeah, I agree about the year of fillers being a 'disgrace' , but I guess they didnt dare to 'pause' the show. I'm sure there are people that do find some enjoyement in the filler-episodes, even when they're not as good as the real story-arc, So I can just choose to not watch the fillers, and start again when they begin with the new story.
I've actually started to re-watch the series now (watched episodes 1-4 this weekend) and still lots of fun. Also reading the manga btw (also from the start)

I know now that it is getting english-dubbed and censored versions, the hardcore anime fans will say it's a bad show and all, but fuck them. They say the same thing about Dragonball, which is a great show (uncut and subbed). They just wanna feel special...
I know I enjoy the series (bar the fillers) so that's really all that matters...

I share your hope of Hajime No Ippo continuing. That would be absolutely awesome as it really is a very good show. HIGHLY recommended, and told with more heart then many real movies on the subject. Great character design as well (personality-wise).

I have downloaded the FMA movie a while ago, and it's supposed to tie up the loose ends from the series, but I'm not sure if I want to watch it yet. I kinda liked the end of the series as it was. I understand the manga is still running, so we might even see a new series in the future.
I am kinda curious about the movie ofcourse, so could very well be that I will watch it, but I dont have the immediate urge yet.

From what I've read, it's got a mixed reception from the fans. Some said it kinda ruined the ending of the series, took something away from it... and others just felt it was a nice ending and a good way to end it all...

Ow yeah... also watched the first 2 episodes of Musashi... which is a bit of a supernatural anime, but it's very sweet-natured, a bit in the drawing style of the Miyazaki movies, with lots of attention for nature and stuff that's beyond us. Also very nice animation style, nice music, and seems like a good quality show. Stand-alone episodes, so well suited to try out a couple of episodes.

I also still have Initial D to watch, as well as Neon Genesis Evangalion...
Plus I have Ranma episodes, as well as Lupin (old series)...

-sigh-....

I wish I would never have to leave my room...
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Yi-Long wrote:I also still have Initial D to watch, as well as Neon Genesis Evangalion...

-sigh-....

I wish I would never have to leave my room...
Why would you want to do that ;), I've seen Neon Genesis, got the plantium version and loved it, however the ending is a mindf**k, well it is to me :D
Yi-Long wrote:Rurouni Kenshin: Nice show, but also didnt really grab me. For me the characters werent all that interesting, and I felt Kenshin's voice didnt suit him (you could clearly tell it was a woman using a heavy 'manly' voice...)
Yeah I can see where you are coming from, for me I kinda like the way Kenshin is, the way he talks and everything. It stand him more..

I want to see Steamboy, but wondering if the UK is a FILM to PAL transfer. Want to get Howl Moving Castle, Full Metal Alchemist and Hajime No Ippo. Talking about the latter, seen some review and screen caps, it looks good, so can't wait to see that. I've seen a few episodes of Love Hina, and really really liked that, i do like romantic films/anime/series. I quite enjoyed Tenchi Muyo in Tokyo, that was really cute and sweet :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I won the Vol.1 of One Piece on DVD, it had the first 3 episodes on it. The show is fucking awful, childish garbage.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

EvaUnit02 wrote:I won the Vol.1 of One Piece on DVD, it had the first 3 episodes on it. The show is fucking awful, childish garbage.
The most popular anime/manga in Japan as well, looks like it could be the Manga that finally topples Dragon Ball as the most successful shounen Manga of all time!

I've heard that it starts weak but improves a hell of a lot after the first couple of arcs have played out. Having only seen the pilot episode though, I can't comment
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I've only seen the first 6-7 episodes or something, but didnt care much for it. Seemed like a kid's anime indeed, but hey... those got to be made as well, right? I'm almost 30, so it's normal that not every cartoon/anime still appeals to me.

But Shingster says it picks up after a while, so maybe I'll give it a 2nd try in the future...

BTW, I didnt find it BAD or anything... I just didnt care much for it.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Shingster wrote:The most popular anime/manga in Japan as well,
Popularity is NOT relative to quality. Case in point Mariah Carey, the best-selling female singer ever.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I never said it was