Macross Plus - OVA vs Movie

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Macross Plus - OVA vs Movie

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Well just watched this and wow. I'm not big into robo-animes but this one is pretty mind blowing, even considering its age I don't think it's dated too much.

So which do you prefer? The OVA or the movie? I watched the OVA first then I saw the movie (shame about the poor picture quality of the movie). I have to say that I personally much preferred the OVA. It's better paced with great characterisation.

The movie is a re-edited, condsensed version of the OVA but also includes additional scenes. Whilst the movie does include a few extra segments towards the end, I thought it revealed too much. With the OVA you can kind of think of your own conclusion.

But yeah, overall, amazing anime.

Don't suppose anyone knows more about additional Macross animes? The new one (Macross Zero) is supposedly decent. Do they all feature the same characters?

Hey what's Macross anyway, is it a computer?
MarvellousM
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by MarvellousM »

I know bits and pieces about Macross. I don't know about Macross Zero but its likely that it won't be the characters from Plus, that's set way after the original Macross series and judging by the name Macross Zero I'd presume its set before. As far as I know each Macross series had different characters.

The Macross itself is easier to work out from the full name of the original series: Super Dimensional Fortress Macross. Basically there's this race of aliens called the Zentradi (sp?) and the SDF Macross was a battle cruiser/giant robot thing that ends up crashing on Earth I believe. The Zentradi are much bigger than humans and I think the humans use the Macross and technology derived from it to create their battle mechs in order to defend themselves when the Zentradi invade. The Zentradi end up shrinking themselves down to the size of humans and they live together in peace, which is how you end up with Guld in Macross Plus. Also in Plus the city has been built around the old SDF Macross, hence the big robot-shaped big in the middle ;)
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Outstanding!!

Man everything you said made so much sense.

I'm about the start watching SDF Macross soon!! ;)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I agree, the OVA is superior to the Movie, although the poor picture quality of the Movie version probably helped my decision to be honest!