China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

already available at dddhouse, is this the best version to pick up?
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

No No No !!! :w00t: :w00t:

STAY AWAY FROM THIS VERSION !

This is a Guangdong Face DVD (same as Hero EE).
So, unless you want to have a "Face" logo every five minutes, I suggest you wait for a decent version.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

ok thx for the good tip! Thats why i was asking , i was afraid it was something like that...:sweat:
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

From loveHKFilm.com :

"The Guangdong Face DVD is pretty much a travesty of current home video technology. The transfer is non-anamorphic, soft, and grainy, and there exists an annoying "Face" watermark which appears in the upper left hand corner every 5 or so minutes when the English subtitle track is turned on. There will be soon be a Hong Kong DVD of 2046, and it's likely to be much better than this one."
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

A DVD Beaver comparison:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview6/2046.htm

IMO the worst part of this DVD is the Mandarin dubbing.

I recently bought Face's Hero: EE DVD and it's not half as bad as I was led to believe, not at all. So I'm not going to take this comparison "too" literally.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Well it all depends on how high your standards are, I want best pic, not sub par dvd picture. I wouldnt buy it for free :w00t:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Firstly Romero you've not seen it so stop contradicting yourself and secondly it's the only way to see the EE so it's not like we have any choice.

The packaging which I know is imortant to you is gorgeous too!
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I have seen clips from the dvd :), it sucked bad,
and the packagings pointless for me is the picture and sound aint top stuff, it just happens that mist really good packaging jobs seem to have best picture and sound, which I expect when your spending more :)
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Just seen this and yeah, it's aesthically wonderful + I found the storyline easier to follow than ITMFL. The characters are quite complex but excellently put to life thanks to the amazing cast. Shame Maggie Cheung's not in this though... I love her... :love:

Yeah overall, I'm v. impressed. I hope Tartan make a kick ass DVD.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Maggie is definitely in it, probably not enough though.

Bootleg?
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

[quote][i]Originally posted by bradavon[/i]
Maggie is definitely in it, probably not enough though.

Bootleg? [/quote]

She is but it's footage from ITMFL.

And I cannot confirm or deny the presence of a bootleg. :P
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

[quote][i]Originally posted by BiscLimpkit[/i]
She is but it's footage from ITMFL.[/quote]
WTF? :mad:

That's a pity. I heard she was so exhausted after ITMFL and this is probably why she didn't want to do this.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Hey Brad/everyone,
I found this at CD-WOW, available in a 2 disc and 1 disc release. Is this the official HK release?
It has Cantonese DTS and Mandarin DTS.
Yes I will pick it up at some point! :D

Here is the 2 discer:

[url=http://www3.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2 ... code=15468]Here![/url]

It says "This is an extended version, different to other versions released before"? :wacko::unsure:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It looks like the HK DVD but it's bloody expensive for one, still "Brotherhood of War" HK DVD is also expensive from them.

Oh man I so want to see this but I think I'll hold off it's released into cinemas a month later. I'd imagine the Mandarin DTS is the OST with Mandarin, Cantonese and Japanese, and the Cantonese is a dub.

There is also a 3 disc release for a whopping £23 with OST CD, also at CD WOW.

The 1 disc release at £8 looks tempting (considering I've not seen the film yet), it looks the same as the 2 disc release but minus disc 2. Which probably doesn't have English subs anyway!

[quote][i]Originally posted by grim_tales[/i]
It says "This is an extended version, different to other versions released before"? :wacko::unsure: [/quote]
I bet they're referring to the (not released) Cannes cut.

p.s - The French release isn't coming until June 2005! If I love the film I may get the 2 Disc HK.

[Edited on 26-11-2004 by bradavon]
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I may get the single discer for £8 then, as in all likelihood the 2 discer wont have English subbed extras. :)
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

they are selling 3 versions of 2046 now at cd-wow, are they all the same picture quality?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'd imagine so. The 2 disc I suspect has the single disc with it and the 3 disc is the 2 disc but with a "seperate" OST CD.

The 3 disc isn't a proper 3 disc release. This has been confirmed on DVD Forums.

I'm going to see it at the cinema and then I'll probably get the 2 disc version, maybe the 1 disc.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Just a heads up that DVD Beaver have updated their picture comparison of 2046 to include the new HK R3:

[url=http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/2046.htm]click[/url]
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Bisc.

What is it with those weird wavy lines? Hmm I'm not convinced this is accurate. I wish they'd stop using stupid screen captures too, it can't be hard to find more suitable ones. Such as a decent shot of someones face!

Fancy not getting the 2 disc version (which is bloody expensive IMO)??? Which is the OST the Cantonese or Mandarin?

It really annoys me how they get different ideas from other people so therefore completely contradict themselves (and therefore it's very confusing). One guy says the Guang Dong could be extended and another says the HK DVD is.

I wonder what cut we'll get in the UK???

I thought the HK DVD was supposed to have DTS???

I'm sure the Chinese Guang Dong isn't extended, just because it runs for a few minutes more doesn't mean it's extended.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this. At the end of the day the French DVD release isn't coming until June so no doubt the UK and US DVD releaes will be around then.

I'm not waiting 6 months to own a DVD.

[Edited on 26-12-2004 by bradavon]
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

[quote]I'm sure the Chinese Guang Dong isn't extended, just because it runs for a few minutes more doesn't mean it's extended. [/quote]

But it's PAL, so that means it should have a shorter runtime than the NTSC one, but it has a longer runtime on that DVD Beaver comparison.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Hmm it's all very confusing... but yeah gonna see this in the cinema (as I've seen it before anyway). :P Roll on January?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I think it's out January. There is a decent review of the 2 discer here which confirms English subtitled extras:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=55636
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

Finally watched it over a month later (the single disc edition).

Its undoubtedly visually sumptuous and Tony Leung does a great Clark Gable impression, but I'm not sure I fully understand it (most likely one of those films which is supposed to be abstract and ambiguous, as with most of WKW's other films). Still, the score was amazing, the acting spot on - whoever thinks Zhang Zi Yi can't act should watch this - and the set design, wardrobe, photography were all fantastic. That alone was good enough for me. :D

Overall, probably need a few viewings to understand it better (if possible) but it was still mesmerising. :)

Picture and sound are excellent, as good as any superlative R1 dvd releases in terms of AV. English-subs wise, a few spelling errors here and there, but otherwise very good. I chose to watch it with the Cantonese 5.1 track, although it has a mixture of Cantonese, Mandarin (ZZY and Gong Li's characters speak in Mandarin) and Japanese dialogue. All sounded in synch to me.

On another note, I have both single disc, and 2 disc Mei Ah dvds. I have only watched the single disc dvd, and the 2 disc is still sealed.

However, the back cover of both dvds list a running time of 129 minutes.

This is despite cdwow advertising the 2 disc edition as an extended cut when I ordered back in December?

[Edited on 24/1/2005 by brooce-leroy]
ghevans
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by ghevans »

Visually stunning film it may be but i felt it could have been a lot better had he restrained from just so many side-stories - i didnt feel the singapore sequence (with Gong Li) was really essential to the story and had these moments at the start and closing moments of the film been removed i felt it would have flowed better especially considering the main focal point seems to be the relationship between Tony Leung and both Zhang Ziyi and Faye Wong.

I get this a lot with WKW films though - where I feel he reaches a natural conclusion only to just keep the story going for an unnecessary extra 20 mins.

Still though - despite the quabbles its a beautiful looking film and im intrigued enough to see it again at the cinema.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

If you cut 20 mins out of most of his work you'd not have much left. 2046 is very long for a WKW film.

I can't wait to see this next month in my local art-house cinema.

[quote][i]Originally posted by brooce-leroy[/i]
However, the back cover of both dvds list a running time of 129 minutes.

This is despite cdwow advertising the 2 disc edition as an extended cut when I ordered back in December?[/quote]
I suspect they forgot to list the single disc as also extended. I doubt very much the 2 discs are different.

Why did you buy both btw? If you still have the 2 discer come February I'll take it off your hands.