Fist of Fury: Platinum Edition - Screenshots

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Fist of Fury: Platinum Edition - Screenshots

Post by thelostdragon »

Hey,

due to my website down until January 2006, I decided to show a few screenshot comparisons of this film as a preview to my review then. The comparison shots are from the R2UK HKL DVD versions of "Fist of Fury".

ABOVE: Platinum
BELOW: Collector's Edition

Last edited by thelostdragon on 29 Dec 2005, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

That's wierd! Those caps look more like the old inferior HKL print than the new Fortune Star one as shown in other people's caps. Look at how reddish the skintones are. You did use the correct disc, LD? :D

EDIT: See this link:

http://p081.ezboard.com/fkungfufandomfr ... =1&stop=20
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Hmm. These caps do look good but I agree with Mark - Bruce's hair is supposed to be black, not brown. :?
LD, do you know whether HKL will do their translation from the Mandarin track this time? :) (I mean, theyre using the Mandarin track, but they should base the English subs on THAT track and not the Cantonese one.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Cripes - the HKL PE is a major improvement over the original CE, the skintones look very RED on the CE, whereas on the new edition they are much more natural and the picture is sharper.

Is it worth keeping the CE? :) I think I may, for its own unique extras, HKL did a great job with the CE trailer.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:Is it worth keeping the CE? :)
I wouldn't bother... but then I replaced mine with the Deltamac ages ago. :D Those caps (on KFF) prove that HKL isn't always better than the budget alternative. :wink: It's silly that the existing CE extras weren't carried over but I'm not overly bothered. I'm really not buying the PE for the extras.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Wasn't the Deltamac courtesy of me? :D

The Deltamac has better skin tones than the CE but obviously loses points for the fact the print is poor shape (compared to the CE) and lack of anamorphic enhancement.. IMO.

I'm not buying the PE for extras either, I think I'll keep my CE as a companion piece. :) The haunting melody of the CE trailer is wonderful.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Mark what does this mean:
Unlike the IVL edition, this restores the opening text to the film explaining the overview of Huo Yuen Chia's legacy and death!
Is this the text that starts "Our story begins with the death of Ho Yuan Chia.." etc, I've always seen this opening in all the versions I've seen :?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:Wasn't the Deltamac courtesy of me? :D
Yes, cheers for that!
The Deltamac has better skin tones than the CE but obviously loses points for the fact the print is poor shape (compared to the CE) and lack of anamorphic enhancement.. IMO.
Yes, but the Deltamac is also surprisingly sharper too. It's actually overall a better-looking picture. I didn't even realise that until the comparison.
I'm not buying the PE for extras either, I think I'll keep my CE as a companion piece. :) The haunting melody of the CE trailer is wonderful.
If that's what makes you happy... :wink:
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

grim_tales wrote:Is it worth keeping the CE? :) I think I may, for its own unique extras, HKL did a great job with the CE trailer.
The CE trailer is present on the Platinum's trailer archive as it is on so many other HKL DVDs.

Markgway wrote:It's silly that the existing CE extras weren't carried over but I'm not overly bothered. I'm really not buying the PE for the extras.
I think it would be way sillier had they carried them over. Then you'd get people here moaning about how HKL are ripping them off supplying mostly the same extras. :D

As for the screenshot, they are definitely from the PE. I'll make a comparison soon.[/quote]
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

thelostdragon wrote:As for the screenshot, they are definitely from the PE.
Damn, I was secretly hoping you'd put up the wrong ones, as the colours are off. :(
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

If LD's grabs are from the PE, then where have KFF got their "PE" grabs from? The ones LD posted look the same as the old transfer. :?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Without a comparison them shots mean nothing to me, still I need to sell my old Bruce HKL dvds as they are crap.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Romero have you not seen the comparison over at the KFF forums? :)
As David Rees said "The new PE transfer is superb, far superior to the old HKL release"

:?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Nope I dont visit that forum. I will get it when its about 6 pound anyway, no way in hell I am paying anything like the joke prices that its up for now when in 6 months it will be almost free like all HKL dvds.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Follow the link Mark posted. :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

* LD how come you have the disc already?
* Any chance of a comparison thread, please?

p.s - Yuck those captures look awful, still I'm sure they'll look lovely on my 32 incher (TV!).
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

According to this KFF post, the HKL PE caps do look more "pink" than the IVL ones (I thought they were from the same source?) but they blow the CE out of the water and look much better.

http://p081.ezboard.com/fkungfufandomfr ... 0165.topic
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

bradavon wrote:* LD how come you have the disc already?
As usual, I got mine directly from HKL as I am one of their long-time reviewers. Guess they sent them out to us so early due to Christmas or so.
Also, this is not a review disc. I got the finished copy.
* Any chance of a comparison thread, please?
Will add some screenshots of the CE later today, or maybe tomorrow.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Even if the CE trailer will be on the PE disc, I may keep the CE for collectors purposes and the original Bey commentary :)

Did you have a nice Christmas, LD? :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'm keeping the CE until I've compared the AV and to see if I like the new commentary.

If all is A okay with the PE I'll be trading or selling the CE.

p.s - Cheers LD, lucky you.

Why has it been delayed until the 23rd from the 9th then???
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

According to a few friends, the IVL (likely Fox and Spectrum too) is missing this opening text.

HKL removed the green tint on purpose. Those screencaptures look a bit off Hussain :) .
Scott
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Is the green tint not supposed to be on the film then? Is it an age thing? FOF doesn't look green on the theatrical trailer I've seen but does on some of the DVDs?
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Good question.
grim_tales wrote:According to this KFF post, the HKL PE caps do look more "pink" than the IVL ones (I thought they were from the same source?) but they blow the CE out of the water and look much better.
They are but it's common for distributors to think they can do better and they start tinkering.

Cheers for this. It's a pity the IVL is looking better than the HKL PE (from a PQ POV) but I'll still get the HKL PE as overall it looks awesome.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I want to know how the FOX compares to the HKL/PE. If the Fox doesn't have that reddish look I'll try to get that one instead.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Are Fox releasing them seperately Mark? I thought FIST was only available in the Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection on R1.